Official album review thread (3 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Mojo

I'm not going to go into full detail on it, but I rate it 150/10, put it that way.

Their Best Album in decades, and my pcik for Album of the year so far.

If you don't buy it, not only are you gay, but you have no appreciation of music and should burn in whatever form of hell you happen to believe in.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Iron Maiden's New Album - The Final Frontier

The sales reflect the quality of the Album (22,000 copies on the first day in the UK). The Legendary Band still have it after 14 Studio Albums and like always, they are genuine, creative and go to unexplored territory in the genre.

It is a huge improvement over their 2006 album (A Matter of Life and Death) which was already a great one. Unlike Metallica, they continue to impress and change their style as the years roll just enough to provide something original that still has the Iron Maiden touch on it.

The lyrics to the songs of this Album surpass all their previous work and the melodies are as good as ever. No more catchy sing-along choruses in the form of 3-4 minute songs for the casual Maiden listener but rather long (8 minute), deep and poetic structure and language throughout most of the songs.

The quality of the lyrics make up for the decrease in quality of some of their guitar solos. Like All Maiden's works, a one time listen is not enough to appreciate it as the melodies are diverse and the lyrics are difficult to understand and keep up with (I used a Dictionary).

My personal favorites at the moment in order (I listened to the entire album twice only):
1) Coming Home
2) Starblind
3) Mother of Mercy
4) The Isles of Valon

I'll report back when I am used to all the songs a little bit more (I can barely tell the others apart).

Rating: 9/10

Apr 15, 2006
The lyrics not the best I've heard. Also, Bruce's voice isn't great too. Especially on Mother of Mercy chorus, where he seems to be struggling to hit the notes. The album is definitely a huge improvement over AMoLAD though.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
The debut album of Mona came out yesterday, here's a free download http://www.ireleases.org/music/mona-mona-2011-plan9-19521/
Listen to your love, Teenager, Trouble on the way, Lines in the sand, Shoot the moon, all catchy and easy-to-listen poprock. Although some songs seem really not finished and it feels like you've heard it all thousand times before, I'd say thus far this is my album of the year (although I haven't paid much attention and can't pretend to have heard it all).

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Hacienda - Big Red & Barbacoa

Alright guys, I'm trying to wean myself off of older music and delve into new music. I'm finding it to be really difficult and I'm often copping out and listening to a band that sounds like old music. Enter Hacienda, a Texas band consisting of three brothers and their cousin - they're all spics! :D

Hacienda's poppy like the Beach Boys (they're big on harmonies), but they have a bit of garage rock grit on most of the songs. I've always been a sucker for grit and trashiness, so that's why this band sits well with me.

Big Red & Barbacoa was produced by Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, which explains the riffing and harder moments on the album. The eleven songs are short (album clocks in at less than 40 minutes) and simple, but they pull you in with these catchy little hooks.

I won't go through the tracks on this album because I'm just too lazy. I particularly like "Younger Days", "Hound Dog", "Apples", and "You're My Girl". If you wish to preview some of the songs, may I suggest Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Big-Red-And-Barbacoa/dp/B003CIXLXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307329636&sr=8-2

Attachments

OP
Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #126
    sounds like my sort of album:tup: will look it out

picking up Arctic Monkeys latest tomorrow,will be back witha review

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #128
    don't listen to my opinion. i thought Humbug was a masterpiece from a band growing into their sound,it was more confident than the first two albums and had a certain swagger that was unmistakeable Monkeys. Dance Little Liar being symbolic of this move away from punching guitar rock/pop music and them becoming a serious force in the musical world with an evolving and maturing sound

then i read recently that everyone thinks its shit and i lost all faith in NME

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    don't listen to my opinion. i thought Humbug was a masterpiece from a band growing into their sound,it was more confident than the first two albums and had a certain swagger that was unmistakeable Monkeys. Dance Little Liar being symbolic of this move away from punching guitar rock/pop music and them becoming a serious force in the musical world with an evolving and maturing sound

then i read recently that everyone thinks its shit and i lost all faith in NME
    I agree with you about Humbug (and Dance Little Liar). It's definitely my favourite AM album.

NME and the "Mardy Bum" fans didn't like it at all, but screw them.

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #132
    i think i need to give it a few more listens but initially.....

this...well...it is a very good POP album and if this had been released by any other group it would be well received. for em it is a backwards step, an album to appease the NME/Mardy Bum crowd with radio friendly tunes that are easily accessible but with little depth sompared to Humbug.
    the last time i felt this torn over an album was when i put in Kings of Leons "only by the night" which i instantly hated and called them out as "Kings of Coldplay" but taht album grew on me slightly before i realised it was absolute tosh.

at the moment i am not keen on this but i do get the feeling that it may grow on me,taht said it is certainly the weakest album they have released to date

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #135
    been meaning to talk this album up for aaaaages

The Black Keys-Brothers
    well the Black Keys have finally gone commercial...well at least they have gone for a less riff heavy,almost soulful sound taht will make this album sell by the bucketload and bring them more into the public consciousness. make no mistakes this album is a triumph and dan auerbach's really shows of his vocal range but it is musically the most diverse album by the duo.
    there are still some atypical Black Keys songs on here in the form of "I'm Not The One" and "next Girl" but clearly this is an album to break out of the niche that they have carved out for themselves. more radio friendly fare in " Everlasting Light","Tighten Up" "howling for you" tread the fine line between being easy on the ear without sounding like out and out pop songs.
    the real highlights of this album come from the mowtown inspired cover of "Never gonna give you up" and the absolutely wonderful "ten Cent Pistol"

the album is possibly 2 tracks too long and as such it starts to feel a little over indulgent but this is the album that will propel them into the spotlight and no longer be everyones "best kept secret"

9 out of 10

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
    was that the albums name? well that isn't inspiring
    and not misleading at all.
    been meaning to talk this album up for aaaaages

The Black Keys-Brothers
    well the Black Keys have finally gone commercial...well at least they have gone for a less riff heavy,almost soulful sound taht will make this album sell by the bucketload and bring them more into the public consciousness. make no mistakes this album is a triumph and dan auerbach's really shows of his vocal range but it is musically the most diverse album by the duo.
    there are still some atypical Black Keys songs on here in the form of "I'm Not The One" and "next Girl" but clearly this is an album to break out of the niche that they have carved out for themselves. more radio friendly fare in " Everlasting Light","Tighten Up" "howling for you" tread the fine line between being easy on the ear without sounding like out and out pop songs.
    the real highlights of this album come from the mowtown inspired cover of "Never gonna give you up" and the absolutely wonderful "ten Cent Pistol"

the album is possibly 2 tracks too long and as such it starts to feel a little over indulgent but this is the album that will propel them into the spotlight and no longer be everyones "best kept secret"

9 out of 10
    Excited to get my hands on this.

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #137
    if you like the balck keys you will love it,in fact even if you aren't into their blues-rock sound you will appreciate it. actually i think it won a grammy for best alternative album

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    i think i need to give it a few more listens but initially.....

this...well...it is a very good POP album and if this had been released by any other group it would be well received. for em it is a backwards step, an album to appease the NME/Mardy Bum crowd with radio friendly tunes that are easily accessible but with little depth sompared to Humbug.
    the last time i felt this torn over an album was when i put in Kings of Leons "only by the night" which i instantly hated and called them out as "Kings of Coldplay" but taht album grew on me slightly before i realised it was absolute tosh.

at the moment i am not keen on this but i do get the feeling that it may grow on me,taht said it is certainly the weakest album they have released to date
    I felt that way too. I've had the album since it leaked a couple of weeks ago and it still hasn't really grown on me. As you say, it's definitely their worst album.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    Thee Shams - Please Yourself

Thee Shams remind me of The Black Crowes (circa 1990) and the original Kings of Leon a little bit, so if that's your thing, check it out. It's kind of bluesy, kind of garage rock; a very cool sound. The singer's growls through mediocre lyrics (generic girl trouble shit), but his delivery gives life to the songs and makes listening to the album worthwhile. They do a cool Dylan cover of "If You Gotta Go", and songs like "You Want It" and "Can't Fight It" sound really raw and ballsy.

Normally I'd post the album cover, but there's a woman flaunting a nice pair and I'm not sure that sits well with the mods. :D If you absolutely need to see and preview some of the songs: http://www.amazon.com/Please-Yourself-Thee-Shams/dp/B00023GFYA

OP
    Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #140
    Arctic Monkeys-Suck it and See

ok i admit it,i jumped the gun,i went into this with preconceived ideas of where the Arctic Monkeys were heading as a band and they threw me a curve ball....well actually they tossed me an onion......

this album is arguably more accomplished than Humbug simply because it has so many layers to it,opening the album it sounds like they are going down the "tried and tested" path with two decent but unremarkable tracks in She's Thunderstorms and Black Treacle.
    then classic Turner kicks in with Library Pictures,Don't sit down coz I moved your chair,brick by brick are all Monkeys at their thumping best but it is in the last 6 tracks that this album really starts to shine...i have to admit it sounded to me like they were writing generic love songs with an 80's twang but stop and listen to Love is a Lazerquest and you will hear Alex Turner at his most vulnerable,piledriver waltz and reckless serenade soud like throwaway tracks on first listen but have a charm to them that simply grown everytime you listen to it. closing track Thats where you're wrong sounds like a homage to the great Indie bands of the late 80's and is a great closer.

my only real problem with this album is the title track Suck it and see which is quite frankjly shite (having seen them live 3 weeks ago i assure you its no better live) and the hellcat spangled sha-la-la is as close to music by minbers as they have ever came.

not as instant as the first 2 albums,not as clever as the third but this album has real charm once you peel away the layers

8 out of 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)