Official album review thread (2 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Eℓvin;2150412 said:
So how do musicians make money these days? I mean, no one buys albums anymore.
Thousands go to their concerts. Album money is nothing compared to tour money. Never have and never will be. It's the record companies that make the most wins from album selling.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Thousands go to their concerts. Album money is nothing compared to tour money. Never have and never will be. It's the record companies that make the most wins from album selling.

Unless the artists own their master recordings. Which very very very few artists actually do.

Ray Charles and Prince are two that come to mind

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Can finally post what i set this thrad up for :D

Backspacer

Pearl Jams ninth release emptied my bank-account today and arrived in its beautiful vinyl sleeve, and to my surprise it's their best work since ten.
Every song is concise (the whole album is about 30mins long but don't let that deter you, the crisp/hopeful and apathetic pearl jam collide in this album with a bit of the angst (the three ingredients of a PJ album) thrown in for good measure. Got Some and Just breathe are my favourites, because they ar ein the vein of my two favourite songs, save you and black, its more new wave than their anti-bush railing of the early noughties, it really is a true return to form and if you only buy one moderateley priced LP tihs year make it this one.

In a world of Kings of Leon and Artic Monkeys it stirs my soul to hear fresh real music again.
9/10
I really like the album as well, but isn't it a little too much on the pop-side? Anyway it's really good but to say it's the best after Ten is a whole bunch too much, when you think of Vs, Vitalogy, Yield...

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I really like the album as well, but isn't it a little too much on the pop-side? Anyway it's really good but to say it's the best after Ten is a whole bunch too much, when you think of Vs, Vitalogy, Yield...
Its a bit new wave alright (punky pop) but its more of a case that pop music itself has molded closer to pearl jam with this whole indie rock fad than peral jams become too commercial, I mean look at pop music in 1991 compared to now, not a guitar in sight, still the same ammount of talent though

I stand by my ranking, I mean Vs had two good songs, blood and dissident (daughter and elderly woman were OK) Vitalogy had corduroy and better man and Yield has many goods songs but its just behind this one in my reckoning, and imo Got Some, The Fixer and Just breathe (maybe Johnny Guitar) are absolute gems. It'll grow on you and i wouldn't be surpirsed if you change your mind.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Its a bit new wave alright (punky pop) but its more of a case that pop music itself has molded closer to pearl jam with this whole indie rock fad than peral jams become too commercial, I mean look at pop music in 1991 compared to now, not a guitar in sight, still the same ammount of talent though

I stand by my ranking, I mean Vs had two good songs, blood and dissident (daughter and elderly woman were OK) Vitalogy had corduroy and better man and Yield has many goods songs but its just behind this one in my reckoning, and imo Got Some, The Fixer and Just breathe (maybe Johnny Guitar) are absolute gems. It'll grow on you and i wouldn't be surpirsed if you change your mind.
I didn't say they went commercial, they went pop with their sound. I've listened to all Pearl Jam albums and this one is by far the most mellow in sound, not only that but the overall feel of the album is joyful. Usually Pearl Jam sound dark and heavy. But that all doesn't matter, I don't mind change and I don't mind the new album, I like it very much, just that it's strange, at first listen I couldn't believe it was Pearl Jam. Had it not been for Vedder's distinctive vocals, I would have a hard time recognizing them.

Pearl Jam's albums always grow on me, but I don't see this one coming close to the top. And oh, Vs is my favourite album of theirs. :D

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Pearl Jam's albums always grow on me, but I don't see this one coming close to the top. And oh, Vs is my favourite album of theirs. :D
Yeah, it's mellow because they've got nothing to shout aobut, now that bush is gone :D

Vs would be my third fav. after Ten and Backspacer, but Ten is way out in front, it may just be to greatest rock album of the past 30 years, perhaps ever.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Yeah, it's mellow because they've got nothing to shout aobut, now that bush is gone :D

Vs would be my third fav. after Ten and Backspacer, but Ten is way out in front, it may just be to greatest rock album of the past 30 years, perhaps ever.
Haha, yeah, I read that in a review somewhere. It's getting positive reviews so far, metacritic says 85/100 so far.

Well of course, Ten is the holy grail but when you've listened to it as much as I(we) did, opinions change. I'd say currently Vs>Ten>Yield, but all that changes with time.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Haha, yeah, I read that in a review somewhere. It's getting positive reviews so far, metacritic says 85/100 so far.

Well of course, Ten is the holy grail but when you've listened to it as much as I(we) did, opinions change. I'd say currently Vs>Ten>Yield, but all that changes with time.
Yeah im like that too, tend to go in cycles of what i listen to, one things for sure Binaural :inter:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, Prince is a legend, it's hard to compare him to anyone else.
I understand that he's a legend. The point I'm tyring to make is that it is inarguable that his best work was between the years of 1980 (Dirty Mind) to 1988 (Sign O' the Times/Black Album/Lovesexy).

That was the period where he sold the most albums. Yet, he has made more money since 1998 now that he owns his masters on all of his recordings since then than during the most prolific time of his career. And none of his albums released after 1998 have even come close to the sales of his previous work.

People love to make fun of his eccentric ways, but he as an artist, has done more for the process of digital distribution than anyone else.

He was the first artist to put all of his music on the internet with the creation of the NPG Music Club website. The first to sell tickets to his shows through their own website. The first artist since Ray Charles to truly "own his own work."

All of these artist with their own music labels now and production companies, it was because he was the one who did it first.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Yeah im like that too, tend to go in cycles of what i listen to, one things for sure Binaural :inter:

I don't like TEN. Vs. and Vitalogy are my favorites, followed by Yield.

For me, TEN just sounds too polished. It sounds like they made an album solely for the fact of getting their foot in the door, just so that they can make their next albums exactly the way they want it to sound.

Just like the Beastie Boys when they did Liscene to Ill. THat really wasn't who they were. Paul's Boutique, and all other albums to follow, was the sound that the Beastie Boys wanted

OP
Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #97
    Arctic Monkey- Humbug

well,well,well,what do you know? the Sheffield lads are all grown up now and i,for one,could not be happier.
    i guess i should start out by saying that i fully believe that they will lose quite a few fans with this album, the chavvy,scemie wee neds that Turner poetically parodied on their first album will probably be a little disappointed with this effort,it is deeper,darker and less melodic than the first two albums but with an altogether more grown-up sound.
    Turners humorous quips are still to be found in here but with a little more innuendo (My Propeler being a prime example) and a certain degree of melancholy (the superb Cornerstone)

i feared that Josh Homme would try to make them into an American style rock group but instead he has simply added layers to their deepening sound,it works terrifically well and adds more weight to the album as a whole.

while there are many highpoints,it has to eb said that nothing on here comes close lyrically to previous songs "do me a favour" or "a certain romance" there is less radio friendly fare here,but instead an accomplished album from a band fast growing up

9/10

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

So what do we think of the debut from the latest supergroup, Them Crooked Vultures?

I like it overall. Don't see myself listening to it more than a week or so, though. The thing I resent most is the fact it's Queens Of The Stone Age the most, a little less Foo Fighters, than Nirvana and least of all Led Zeppelin. But that just might work for someone.

Still, it sounds refreshing and there are some nice licks from Homme, kicks from Grohl and JPJ is the beat master, always was. Elephants and Scumbag Blues are the best songs on the album after a few listens.

7/10

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Can finally post what i set this thrad up for :D

Backspacer

Pearl Jams ninth release emptied my bank-account today and arrived in its beautiful vinyl sleeve, and to my surprise it's their best work since ten.
    Every song is concise (the whole album is about 30mins long but don't let that deter you, the crisp/hopeful and apathetic pearl jam collide in this album with a bit of the angst (the three ingredients of a PJ album) thrown in for good measure. Got Some and Just breathe are my favourites, because they ar ein the vein of my two favourite songs, save you and black, its more new wave than their anti-bush railing of the early noughties, it really is a true return to form and if you only buy one moderateley priced LP tihs year make it this one.

In a world of Kings of Leon and Artic Monkeys it stirs my soul to hear fresh real music again.
    9/10
    I must say you were right, incredible how the album grows on you. I'd even say it's my favourite album now. And I love the fact it's just over 30 minutes. I can't remember the last time I didn't take an album out of the player for so long. I always keep putting it back in, even though I know every song by heart.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    I must say you were right, incredible how the album grows on you. I'd even say it's my favourite album now. And I love the fact it's just over 30 minutes. I can't remember the last time I didn't take an album out of the player for so long. I always keep putting it back in, even though I know every song by heart.
    They're touring europe next summer :weee:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)