No more Golden goal (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Great news

Fifa decided that the golden goal will be removed after this years Euro tournament. After that it will be the classic 2*15 extra time again.
This sudden death has been bugging me for so many years, destroying many good football matches. Sweden-Senegal is my clearest memory, a game I'm sure we would have won if we would have a had more time.
But now it's gone, hopefully forever.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yeah I thought about that game too, but Italy would not have won. There was only about three minutes left.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #4
    I didn't think golden goal was exciting at all. You know that when someone scroes it will all be over.
    With extratime you can score but still there is excitement left because the other team can score. Things doesn't stop because of one goal. It becomes too much of an anticlimax.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    There could have been penalties
    Only if they would have scored, and I couldn't see them doing that. But well, we will never know.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    It is exciting because you want the team to score so bad and you get all nervous and stuff, but it sucks when someone scores and you're automatically out. And the players are always nervous, tired, etc. and one mistake can cost you the elimination. I've always liked better two complimentary times and the one who scores more at the end wins, or the silver goal.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Something ois true.... in golden goal..everyone is in tension before the score...but after that.. all the feeling end... its simply over..

and i have to agree with zambrotta that golden goal rle is not good for the sport...althogh france won againt italy with it ;)

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    Something ois true.... in golden goal..everyone is in tension before the score...but after that.. all the feeling end... its simply over..

and i have to agree with zambrotta that golden goal rle is not good for the sport...althogh france won againt italy with it ;)
    Was that a good thing????:( :D

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

Was that a good thing????:( :D
    well----- it was in that time!!

I was supporting france in that cup.... now im still woith france.. but now that zidane left juventus.. i has been losing the feeling for them...

this time ill cheer up for france but i think that Del Piero and Cia deserve the cup..

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    I actually liked the Golden Goal rule. It makes it more exciting and nervous because if you concede, you lose!!!
    People say bad things about it, think of it when your team benefits from the Golden goal!!!!!!!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank god. Probably the worst rule introduced to the game. Its gone for good. Deservingly so.

It was an extremely unfair rule, and it wudnt change my mind even if Italy had beaten France in 2000. :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I like the silver goal rule. With the golden goal, both teams lock up and are too afraid of conceding a goal, but at least with the silver goal, there's a chance for a team to come back if they concede in extra time

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    Well removing the golden goal from the football competitions is the good decision that FIFA decided to do....
    Removing the golden goal will make the matches more interesting too...

I also heard that FIFA made a new rule for the away goals in the CL :

If second match of the KO ends same like the first match, and if both teams score each a goal, than the match will be going to penalties so away away goals in ExtraTime will not count...;)

GOOD DECISION TOO ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by arifelly |Juve| ] ++
    If second match of the KO ends same like the first match, and if both teams score each a goal, than the match will be going to penalties so away away goals in ExtraTime will not count...;)

GOOD DECISION TOO ;)
    I agree, I actually didn't know that away goals counted in extra time anyway. If they did though, it was a good idea to remove them. Imagine losing on away goals in extra time :irritate::(

Dec 27, 2003
    Had the Golden Goal rule always existed we would never have whitnessed such legendary games as Italy-Germany 1-1 and 4-3 after extra time (WC 1970 semi) or France-Germany 1-1 then 3-3 after extra time (WC 1982 semi). Thank God that abomination is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)