Nicola Leggrotaglie (1 Viewer)

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Lets be a little careful of how we use "rare breed". Much like GENIUS or GREAT it will begin to lose its meaning. Especially if you are going to use it on a player who has been playing all of 2 months for a top level team....let him earn the titles as many have.
Lost you somewhere there.

Let's revert to your criticisms.

1. Late developers - Could you do better than quoting one example and condemning the rest likewise?

2. Too rough - Its part of the Serie-A defender's arsenal that includes stealthy shirt-tugging, tactical fouling to blatant manhandling. About the only way that stands is as a purely subjective comment about personal preferences.

3. Size - Apart from Cordoba, I struggle to think of any notable defender who's a midget. In any case, its like saying Owen/Henry is garbage without pace, Batistuta crap without power and Inzaghi rubbish without positioning (though the consensus is he's rubbish either way) Basically, the way I see it, when you have it, use it ... what's wrong with that? Also, it might be worth pointing out that this quality IS a pre-requisite and no less important than others. I fail to see your rational in highlighting this, if there's any intended that is.

Would you oblige us with a better explanation?

Buy on AliExpress.com

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
1. Leggro is Nesta's age. Nesta has been on the lips of many since he was 19. Same for Cannavaro. Same for Maldini. Same for EVEN Panucci. Same for Coco. Same for even Ferrara and Costacurta. A defender who takes notice at 26 years of age is not one we should call a 'rare breed'. When a player begins playing in a major team at 21 years of age by 25 he has hit 'the right heights' and could be relied upon for 5-7 years or 10-12 if your Ciro Ferrara or Costacurta. My point: your acting like he is a 21 year old with years to bloom. No this is it...he will not bloom much more. His style has been defined long ago. Little change will occur.
2. "Its part of the Serie-A defender's arsenal that includes stealthy shirt-tugging, tactical fouling to blatant manhandling." No thats the Premiership. Serie A has defenders like Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini, Lilian Thuram who are: defensive minded, excellent ball handlers, excellent at positioning ...man to man ..zone whatever and they happen to be rough AS OF LATELY. Premiership defenders are rough who happen to play defense. If there is one league where defenders defend without chop-downs a-la english style it is Serie A. Compare Materazzi's style to the rest of these. You understand? See the picture I'm trying to paint (paint by numbers). Leggro leans more in that area.
3. Oh yeah uhmmm how about Cannavaro. But that was not my point. Nesta and Maldini may be tall but are not as WIDE as Leggro. Another habit Leggro borrows from Materazzi....stopping defenders with hip checks rather than tackles. Positioning and powerful shot and even pace is something you develop in your career. The fact your 6'3 and heavier than the average player is not something you develop.

Have I obliged?

(Anyways thats what I think)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
could be relied upon for 5-7 years or 10-12 if your Ciro Ferrara or Costacurta.
Very diplomatic ;)

++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini, Lilian Thuram
And again! you're getting good at this :D

btw I do agree with your points to a certain extent

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
1. Leggro is Nesta's age. Nesta has been on the lips of many since he was 19. Same for Cannavaro. Same for Maldini. Same for EVEN Panucci. Same for Coco. Same for even Ferrara and Costacurta. A defender who takes notice at 26 years of age is not one we should call a 'rare breed'. When a player begins playing in a major team at 21 years of age by 25 he has hit 'the right heights' and could be relied upon for 5-7 years or 10-12 if your Ciro Ferrara or Costacurta. My point: your acting like he is a 21 year old with years to bloom. No this is it...he will not bloom much more. His style has been defined long ago. Little change will occur.
I agree that Legro shouldn't be regarded as a "rare breed." you can't compare im to the Maldinis, Nestas, and Cannavaros of this world, but he is a pretty good defender and he's worthy of a place in any top team if his current form lasts.

what i dont agree with is how you could rule him out of continuing his success. just because he has bloomed late. (or maybe just discovered late! )

I see his style now and i dont see why being "defined a long time ago" is something bad. he's pretty darn good as he is. I dont think Nesta will change much either (except for leadership skills where he can learn from Maldini)

2. "Its part of the Serie-A defender's arsenal that includes stealthy shirt-tugging, tactical fouling to blatant manhandling." No thats the Premiership. Serie A has defenders like Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini, Lilian Thuram who are: defensive minded, excellent ball handlers, excellent at positioning ...man to man ..zone whatever and they happen to be rough AS OF LATELY. Premiership defenders are rough who happen to play defense. If there is one league where defenders defend without chop-downs a-la english style it is Serie A. Compare Materazzi's style to the rest of these. You understand? See the picture I'm trying to paint (paint by numbers). Leggro leans more in that area.
Point taken, except for the last line. i've watched many of his games. One of the roughest game he played in was even a game i attended at Giants stadium last summer (Juve-Milan). True he did make some hard tackles and was responsible for the PK which Pirlo converted, but i also noticed that he was very calm and elegant. I disagree that he's more like Materazzi. Legro is actually very cool. he doesn't rely as much on tackles anyway (like Montero for example). Legro is great in positioning and intercepting passes. In that game i was comparing him to Nesta who was just awesome, but Legro wasn't too far behind. Here is where difference in opinion comes in. To me, Legro isn't as physical as you say he is.

3. Oh yeah uhmmm how about Cannavaro. But that was not my point. Nesta and Maldini may be tall but are not as WIDE as Leggro. Another habit Leggro borrows from Materazzi....stopping defenders with hip checks rather than tackles. Positioning and powerful shot and even pace is something you develop in your career. The fact your 6'3 and heavier than the average player is not something you develop.

Have I obliged?

Cannavaro actually does use his tough Bulcky body to his advantege, and he also jumps pretty damn high! So he makes up for the lack of height. i dont see what you mean by wide???? If you mean Physically, then i'm afraid you're mistaken him with someone else. Also, Legro is pretty thin/underweight for his hight!

he's about 6'1 (185cm) and 161 pounds (73).

slack

Dec 13, 2002
The 'rare breed' terming is just taking the piss so you needn't take it seriously. Nobody ever claimed he's at the same level at Nesta, Cannavaro et al. Being at Lazio, Napoli (then) and Parma though, as opposed to the likes of Chievo, has certain advantages, wouldn't you say? I find your extrapolation of a player's development as a mere function of age interesting ... presumptuous even. It would work very nicely if you chart the considerations that went the way of your stars in a similar manner. Not surprisingly, you didn't. Frankly, having seen the likes of Torricelli, Di Livio, Birindelli and Iuliano et al perform to the effectiveness that they have in an area where being flashy is simply a luxury, I don't really care on 'style'.

I don't really subscribe to the myth that exaggerates the defensive prowess of Serie A defenders to the heavens. While I do think that the general standard of defending in the Serie A is indeed better, its hardly to the extent that makes the EPL look like cavemen. Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta are just as dirty if not more; the fact that former conceals it better than the rest doesn't mean he doesn't do it nor is averse to. As of lately? I don't think so. I'll grant you that being technically, tactically superior helps and while these things do get noticed, there's also a similar tendency to overlook/downplay the shadier parts of their defensive game. Let's face it - they're 'stars' and some are willingly blinded by all that glitters. Don't even get me started on the privileges of being one. Your continual harping on Materazzi, who had a brief fling at Everton together with your apparent disregard for the EPL and probably Inter as well, leads me to believe there might be a little prejudice here. Perhaps not surprisingly, your (convenient?) omission of Jaap Stam (not that I like him) simply serves to illustrate it. That's not a very good position to make absolute statements.

My point was that you're perhaps just a bit too eager to dismiss Legro's effectiveness as mainly due to mere physical advantages. Physique is too complex a subject to be concluded by superficial impression. Figures, in every sense of the word, are deceiving. What about Cannavaro? Precisely my point as a living proof of misconception and exception. Cordoba, whom I believed I mentioned, is another. Davids, Di Livio (sent Sol Campbell flying) and the all-time favourite Maradona comes to mind rather easily. Were they ever hampered in any way? Hardly. Again, an acceptable opinion but not a convincing argument.

Have I obliged?

Oh yes yes, very well in fact ... thank you.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I dont know why the comparisons with Nesta, cannavaro and maldini whoa re just "world class" defenders.

The point here is that Legro is a good defender who can even become better! who knows!. Whats the point in comparing him with just the best of the best?? :rolleyes:
He is playing well for us!!. Who cares if he is not a italian super star!

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
And cannot score like Materazzi but is a much more solid defender.
Wow...he certainly wasn't yesterday. Though Montero was much more awful and much more dirty. Sorry Zebras but the guy deserved MANY bookings which would have led to his being sent off: The Martens kick in the air, the Emre slap in the face.

Almayeda as well for his shove of tacchinardi..but Tacchi should have been out of the game after than knee to knee with Martens.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Its ok .. let it out Kaizer....

P.S. Nice view from up here..why didn't you ever tell us about this wonderful view ;)

yea....it's sooo nice. we've been enjoying it for 2 years now :D

but hey, arent u sharing the top spot with roma? then roma is 1st coz of goal diff :D

btw, enjoy it while u can coz it wont be for long m8......;)

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

yea....it's sooo nice. we've been enjoying it for 2 years now :D
Yeah but we have one controversial call in our favor..not 4 this season:devil:

But trust me...the other view on top of Europe is much nicer...we have seen it SIX TIMES

And Roma..:yawn: Our back up squad beat them 4-1 seven days before the CL final. A few adjustments and the Roman empire collapses once again :cheesy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)