Nick Against the World (113 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That's the problem. One would think perhaps it is better to ride through the recession and find a job once we are back on the rise, but then again you risk the chance of holding out while everything collapses. This isn't a recession, but a building depression. If the doomsayers are correct (some doomsayers predicted this whole mess to the correct decimal point), then we will face the Greater Depression and this country will no longer be what it once was. I guess the one good thing going for you is that you're in tech, a forte of the US, something that should remain unless California is too much of a disaster area. But perhaps it is better to return sooner rather than later, considering the circumstances.
There's more people heading for the exits. But if you're semi-competent, you should always have an opportunity at the "in" door just in natural company turnover alone. There are much worse industries to be in right now. But this is one situation affecting everybody.

The one detractor to your "Greater Depression" comment is that saying "this country will no longer be what it once was" is just a slice: this is true for more than just the U.S. these days.

I was watching the first episode of a decent BBC series from one of my favorite narrative historians, Simon Schama. The episode was about the history of water usage and management in the Western U.S., but it was also a pre-election (2008 election) reminder about the natural situation (not just economic, mind you) we're in.

I don't remember too much about the Jimmy Carter presidency other than he was run out of town. But seeing old video in that program where Carter totally laid out to the American people that they were getting too fat, that they were consuming beyond their means, and that culturally we've replaced our value system with consumerism and conspicuous consumption was, IMO, downright shocking for me to see in this day and age.

You can see why Carter was run out of town. Besides a number of his clear mishandlings of government, he also espoused a message no one wanted to hear: that we're getting too fat, that we're valuing the wrong things, that our appetites for stuff are becoming unsustainable. He was totally right, of course, but the message was something we all preferred to have denial over instead. Reign in Reagan; no wonder why Reagan was brought in with such joy -- it allowed this nation to bury its head in the sand for another couple of decades.

Interesting statistic I've seen is that all of the U.S.'s national growth since 2000 was based entirely on credit. In 2008, the credit market goes belly up, and the growth and pretty much the entire Bush Administration's worth of accumulated stock market value vanishes before his departure. Coincidence? I think not.

I know a top student in my field who tried to find a job but to no prevail. So he's heading back to get a Masters. If top students can't find jobs, I'm very fucked.
Sometimes it really depends on your field. My older brother, a really bright and brilliant guy, went through high school as a social recluse. He left home to go off to college and turned into a party animal, getting academically suspended and earning no better than a C+ average. He fared well because he chose the right field (actuarial sciences, if you can believe that).

Not sure where that came from, No, not at all i live comfortably and my family are covered, Ive been close to what id call rich, but not now, just comfortable and without worry and worked fucking hard for it.

The point is rich or poor, (both of which ive been) money doesnt dictate happiness and frankly isnt important... quite possibbly the best year or so of my life was whilst myself and wife to be, homeless and without work...

If you need money then you have far bigger worries when it comes to the big picture
Some heavy life lessons here from Paul. :delpiero:

Dru ordering "Thai" again? :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Night classes are the worst. Avoid them at all costs as I've had three too many.

My schedule is this: Mon, Wed, Fri 11:15 - 1:10, and Tues, Thurs 8am - 12:30.

Afternoons free and one online course on web design.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Seriously. Fewer things were lamer in college than having to drag your ass in the dark to class and leave with a ton of crap to do when it's even darker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 112)