Nick Against the World (250 Viewers)

Apr 12, 2004
I am not sure how true this is, but to some extent I think it is. So why is it then when one takes psychedelic substances sees fractals?
Well, everything in the world has at least one 90 deg. angle, at least that argument could be made.
wth are you two talking:D
Stomy Boy and Delpie and Candyman, ALL OVER EVERYONE!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Now given the fact that we all know that and we've seen lots of fractals, as images, with the help of fractal generators or other substances. What is the philosophical meaning of them?
They don't mean anything. They're just shapes that are self-similar at different scales.

Some believe that everything you see is actually formed of fractals.
Sure, and you can represent any 1D function as a sum of sinusoids. Decomposition of stuff into weighted sums of other stuff is a fairly established science.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
They don't mean anything. They're just shapes that are self-similar at different scales.

Sure, and you can represent any 1D function as a sum of sinusoids. Decomposition of stuff into weighted sums of other stuff is a fairly established science.
A mathematical proof to the whole notion, it puzzles me when I think of it. I don't think they don't mean anything, if they are the decomposition you talked about then they must me something.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
These days I see fractals when Gene Simmons of Kiss bares his midriff wearing leather pants.

Talk about fat stomach... :yuck:

i actually was fascinated with fractals in college even read some mandelbrot; after a while it made every trip to the toilet seem like a life defining moment where the sight/encounter with any random object changed the course of existence(butterflies flapping). Not to mention the abundance of "fat tails" in his work :)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
A mathematical proof to the whole notion, it puzzles me when I think of it. I don't think they don't mean anything, if they are the decomposition you talked about then they must me something.
Not really. You can do it with any set of linearly independent vectors which spans a vector space.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
i actually was fascinated with fractals in college even read some mandelbrot; after a while it made every trip to the toilet seem like a life defining moment where the sight/encounter with any random object changed the course of existence(butterflies flapping). Not to mention the abundance of "fat tails" in his work :)
To be partially serious for a second, I know exactly where you've been. You see the model of behavior and all its equations falling out in front of you.

Then I put the cap back on the shoe polish, flush the toilet, open the stall door, and head back to my desk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 250)