next friendly: Germany vs. Italy (4 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I was watching it on a German channel after the Holland game had ended but the commentary is soooo biased. I mean, Dutch commentators are biased too but this guy ... damn! :yuck:

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
International friendly - 20/8/03
Germany 0 - 1 Italy

Vieri 17 (I)

Stuttgart (Germany)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Totti and Christian Vieri combined for a spectacular goal as Italy won 1-0 in Stuttgart.

Giovanni Trapattoni continued to experiment with the 4-2-3-1 formation, but had Francesco Totti, Alessandro Del Piero and Christian Vieri together for the first time since the 2002 World Cup exit to South Korea.

Alessio Tacchinardi made his return after 14 months of snubs, stepping in for the injured Cristiano Zanetti and Gennaro Gattuso.

Nicola Legrottaglie replaced Alessandro Nesta, out with a muscular problem, and was one of six Juventus stars in the starting eleven.

Germany were forced to do without several of their stars, most notably Michael Ballack.

The Azzurri should have scored after 90 seconds, but Alessandro Del Piero failed to make the most of a Mauro Camoranesi centre.

However, up the other end Nicola Legrottaglie’s error let Freier through and Christian Panucci brought him down on the edge of the box.

On the resulting free kick Gianluigi Buffon did well to palm the Neuville effort round the post.

Germany increased the pressure on an uncertain defence and Woerns’ diving header was deflected wide.

But the Italians broke the deadlock with a magnificent team move between their top stars.

Del Piero, Totti and Vieri combined with a series of first-time passes until the Inter striker swept home from ten yards.

The fans were awaiting the Golden Trio and they certainly lived up to expectations with this splendid goal.

Del Piero started the move out wide on the left, then Totti and Vieri exchanged touches to cut the German defence apart.

The trident combined again soon after, but the goal was disallowed for a dubious offside flag.

Totti threaded through for Vieri, but rather than shoot he opted to cut across for the unmarked Del Piero to tap in.

The Juventus man appeared to be level with the ball and therefore not in an offside position, but the referee ruled out the goal.

These top stars who have not played together for over a year relished the opportunity to play attractive football to feet and entertained the crowd.

Totti also went for goal himself, leaving a defender for dead with a fine dummy before Oliver Kahn blocked his daisy-cutter.

The defence remained fragile and Panucci again brought down Neuville as he prepared to run into the box for a one-on-one with Buffon.

Gianluca Zambrotta was easily the best performer in the back four and recovered a difficult situation against Neuville.

Germany had the first chance of the second half with a fine Rau angled drive that drifted just wide.

Italy’s first substitution introduced Roma’s versatile player Marco Delvecchio to cover the left side of that attacking trident.

Vieri should have netted his second of the match on 57 minutes, but after racing past Kahn, his touch let him down and allowed Kehl to recover.

Simone Perrotta also blasted a good volley over from the edge of the box, but Panucci miraculously got back to clear a Miroslav Klose effort off the line after he had beaten Buffon.

The substitute, a transfer target for Roma, made an immediate impact and his drive brought another tough save out of the Juve ‘keeper.

Lazio man Stefano Fiore took over from Camoranesi on the right side of midfield, but Buffon performed a fantastic reaction save on Schneider’s solo effort and a point-blank Klose header, while a Jeremies piledriver rattled the woodwork.

Trap’s tactics regressed into an old pattern with Totti’s long balls forward for Delvecchio the only option once Vieri was substituted.

Germany were pushing and thought they had earned a penalty for Legrottaglie’s challenge on Klose, but the striker was perhaps harshly booked for diving.

Italy had few chances in the second half, but Tacchinardi forced Kahn into a fingertip save with one of his trademark long-range efforts and Delvecchio failed to make the most of Bernardo Corradi’s centre.

The friendly performance boosted morale, but not as much as the news that Wales have lost their Euro 2004 qualifier in Serbia-Montenegro.

This puts Italy just two points behind Mark Hughes’ men and with the same number of games played.

The clash between the two at the San Siro on Sept 6 now becomes crucial, as the Serbs are back in the running for a play-off spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germany: Kahn; Hinkel, Woerns (Rehme 46), Ramelow (Kehl 46), Baumann; Rau, Freier, Jeremies, Schneider; Neuville (Lauth 71), Bobic (Klose 60)

Italy: Buffon; Panucci, Cannavaro, Legrottaglie (Ferrari 78), Zambrotta; Tacchinardi, Perrotta; Camoranesi (Fiore 64), Totti (Corradi 75), Del Piero (Delvecchio 54); Vieri (Ambrosini 67)

Ref: Nielsen (Den)

Excellent Match for Buffon, Man of the match IMO :thumb:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
sounds like juve had a great night for the N team.
Has anyone heared anything abought the other juve players playing for different national teams??

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Great game by the Azzurri, or should I say Juve XI ;)

The goal was certainly a delight to watch .. something that only happens in PS2 games .. great one-touch passes from the trio of DP-Totti-Vieri and in the end Vieri scores .. Here is the order of passes:

V32-DP-V32-T10-V32- GOOOAAALL !!

Del Piero scored a second goal (tap-in) afterwards from a neat pass from Vieri only for it to be ruled offside .. but I believe DP was in-line with the ball, and thus the offside call was unfounded ..

Buffon had another good match .. good saves even though Klose nearly scored if not Panucci cleared the ball from the line .. Gigi was thankful for that ;) .. Legrottaglie was shaky at the beginning but played extremely well as the match progressed .. Zambro also did well in the left-flank and was powerful in defence .. Camoranesi created a nice chance for DP early on and also did well .. Tacchi was average, maybe he wasn't as concentrated as usual .. Del Piero combined well with Totti and Vieri in attack was clearly disappointed when he got substituted in the 2nd half ..

The match started to fade away in the second half after the many substitutes Trap went for .. Klose was by far Germany's most dangerous player and he only came in the 2nd half .. I think he would do well if if he joined a Serie A side ..

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
Buffon had another good match .. good saves even though Klose nearly scored if not Panucci cleared the ball from the line .. Gigi was thankful for that ;)
He wasn't responsible for that, it was pamucci's error who left Klose unmarked. so all what he did is just correcting his fault.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DarkSoul ] ++
He wasn't responsible for that, it was pamucci's error who left Klose unmarked. so all what he did is just correcting his fault.
I didn't say that he was responsible .. I'm just happy the ball didn't go in because Gigi wouldn't have kept a clean sheet and we would've probably ended the match in a draw instead of a win ;)

juvetrainer

May 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
I want the goal too even though I watched the game.........that was a brilliant build-up.

Man of the Match IMO was Zambrotta.
i thought the man of the match is Vieri (or Buffon, maybe!:D).
but, it's fair. zambro deserves that.

guys, if i'm not wrong, Juve put 7 players in Azzurri. i'm only saw 6 players. where's the other one (i forgot who!) :confused:

Little Al

Aug 18, 2003
++ [ originally posted by azzurri ] ++

i thought the man of the match is Vieri (or Buffon, maybe!:D).
but, it's fair. zambro deserves that.

guys, if i'm not wrong, Juve put 7 players in Azzurri. i'm only saw 6 players. where's the other one (i forgot who!) :confused:

i think it was miccoli who didn't play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)