News that makes you say WTF! (43 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Nobel prize for literature has awarded 5 decent winners post-1990. Mo Yan in 2012, Herta Muller in 2009, Gunter Grass in 1999, Szymborska in 1996, Octavio Paz in 1990.

Aside from those 5, it's been decidedly mediocre writers.

Bob Dylan winning a prize for literature is an absolute farce. But no more so than Toni Morrison or Patrick Modiano :lol:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Nobel prize for literature has awarded 5 decent winners post-1990. Mo Yan in 2012, Herta Muller in 2009, Gunter Grass in 1999, Szymborska in 1996, Octavio Paz in 1990.

Aside from those 5, it's been decidedly mediocre writers.

Bob Dylan winning a prize for literature is an absolute farce. But no more so than Toni Morrison or Patrick Modiano
Pamuk mediocre? :howler:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's completely counterintuitive. But the question has to be asked is if it's effective. Some research has gone into reconditioning terrorists, etc., and there's evidence to suggest they're easier to salvage and less dangerous to society if you offer them a leg up instead of doing as much as possible to alienate them.

It sounds a bit love-and-hippy crap, but you have to ask what's more important: moralizing or the results?

Don't knock it. I've been accused of forgetting a Venetian blind I left in my pants before.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It's completely counterintuitive. But the question has to be asked is if it's effective. Some research has gone into reconditioning terrorists, etc., and there's evidence to suggest they're easier to salvage and less dangerous to society if you offer them a leg up instead of doing as much as possible to alienate them.

It sounds a bit love-and-hippy crap, but you have to ask what's more important: moralizing or the results?
:tup:

Not saying that this program is definitely a good thing, that has to be concluded based on the empirical evidence, but it's not a good idea to dismiss it out of hand.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
That has to be satire right?
Why?

It's the rape charge that has to re-trial due to lack of evidence and the defendant will stay behind bars.

Isn't this what we in a civilised world call criminal justice?

I bet @Seven can give you a more formal explanation.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you laugh?

You've never in your life read nobel price winning litterature (heck have you ever read a book beyond Harry Potter/Stephen King?), so how come you've all of a sudden can judge whether or not the nobel price to Dylan can be justified?

You really are on a mission to state your lack of bildung, muppet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)