News that makes you say WTF! (29 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
What does everyone think of Gobekli Tepe?
Heard of it a few years ago, would've thought they found out something more about it by now :p

It's interesting, but 90% of all theories about it seem to be purely speculative to me, so I don't really know what to make of it. Although that's probably the appeal as well :D

- - - Updated - - -

Only remember it because of a pretty bad novel I read back then, The Genesis Secret (seriously, it's pretty awful) :D

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
The idea that it predates any other monolithic structure we have seen. It comes from a time where we thought these civilizations didn't have the craft to create such detailed and grand structures. It has been thrown around that whoever built Tepe mightve been a far more advanced civ than we thought was possible for that time, a civ that mightve been wiped out by a large scale catastrophic event.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
The idea that it predates any other monolithic structure we have seen. It comes from a time where we thought these civilizations didn't have the craft to create such detailed and grand structures. It has been thrown around that whoever built Tepe mightve been a far more advanced civ than we thought was possible for that time, a civ that mightve been wiped out by a large scale catastrophic event.
...but that's pure speculation, no? :D

Far more likely to me, though admittedly still unsubstantiated, is that it was "simply" built by large hunter-gatherer tribes in the vicinity. Still has massive implications e.g for how cities came to be originally (supporting the theory of at least some cities having originated from temples/places of whorship), but I wouldn't assume any radically advanced civilisation that got doomsday-ed, at least not without any other solid evidence, such an event.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw thanks @X :D

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
...but that's pure speculation, no? :D

Far more likely to me, though admittedly still unsubstantiated, is that it was "simply" built by large hunter-gatherer tribes in the vicinity. Still has massive implications e.g for how cities came to be originally (supporting the theory of at least some cities having originated from temples/places of whorship), but I wouldn't assume any radically advanced civilisation that got doomsday-ed, at least not without any other solid evidence, such an event.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw thanks @X :D
Yeah it is speculation. Still it is interesting that a lot of religions talk about similar thing, great floods, fire raining from the sky etc. Even Atlantis.

This was found because it was buried, perhaps to build a new one on top. Lets say a massive event took place and destroyed everything, the only things that would survive would be the stuff underground...maybe. So its not completely ludicrous to think not much survived. If we had a massive disaster most of our fingerprint on the world would be lost, we don't build in stone anymore, im talking like 12,000 to 15,000 years.

Gobekli is apparently purposely buried, it has been shown not to be an area were people lived but rather a meeting spot or temple to the gods. The hand placement of the carvings is almost identical to that of the easter Island heads. Even if it was just made by a hunter gatherer civ it still throws our history out of whack because up until now we didn't think that was possible and we also thought "first comes the city then the temple", this would suggest otherwise. It means our timeline is out of whack, these stones needed like 500 men to just move them. Surely they had the wheel, huge organisation, the craftsmen for the carvings. Its just pretty mindblowing, this thing is like 7000 years older than the pyramids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)