News that makes you say WTF! (17 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
But it's not even political correctness. It's far more than that. It's more "My feelings are right and you intentionally hurt them and I am the only person with an opinion that anyone can listen to." It takes victimhood as a badge of honor to a distortedly psychotic level.
You're right. But it's hidden under a veil of political correctness or "tolerance". That's what makes it so frustratingly ironic. And it's not just "my" feelings, it's "our" feelings. With social media being the mass circle jerk that is it, all that unbridled sentiment quickly snowballs out of control until everyone is either completely brainwashed or too scared to pull the plug for fear of reprisal. It's kind of interesting though that this whole college student thing is an American phenomenon. What ever happened to anarchy at University? I don't think the problem is as bad here nor is it age specific.

Anyway I'm reading a book called "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" which touches on the subject. The mob mentality on social media which hastily and disproportionately punishes anyone who makes even a minor transgression. It highlights how misguided and self defeating social justice is becoming. Here's one of the stories from the book...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

- - - Updated - - -

The longer video of this yale controversy is even more pathetic

Holy shit. That's unbelievable. That teacher is one patient bastard. I would be fuming if someone accused me of bigotry for something so innocuous. I can't believe no one is telling her to stfu.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
this can't be a real thing
That's where I questioned above if this is just some massive trollfest where people are trying to see how much ridiculousness they could get away with.

But I'm one of "them" and because I believe people are not superior/inferior to each other on the basis of race, because I genuinely believe in that, as long as my way to success and achievement is not blocked by law/government/officials, I respect myself so much I don't give a shit about people who may make fun of me because i'm muslim/middle-easterner/woman etc. Those who are offended by each and everything and want to silence everyone who is/does not like them are either opportunists (case in point many women and muslims) or are suffering from serious esteem problems.
I don't think you're quite yet fully appreciating what's going on here. In their minds, you are either with them or against them. If a black transgender woman were to stand up and say, "Wait a minute here ... there's also another perspective", she'd be labeled as a traitor and someone who is only adding insult to injury for all the injustices black transgender women have suffered throughout history. That s/he would be no better than a white male cisgender racist for thinking like that.

That's how it works. You don't have any voice or authority regardless of your gender, religion, or skin color unless you agree with them.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
That's where I questioned above if this is just some massive trollfest where people are trying to see how much ridiculousness they could get away with.
clapping with one hand? what about the people with no hands or disability etc

then again that girl going off at the end seemed kinda serious about it

if they are real then we need hitler back

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh man this man has the patience of a saint, how bizzare and sad he has to explain all this to these self-entitled pompous disillusioned halfwits...
He's going at it the wrong way entirely though. Apparently he's quite smart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_A._Christakis. I bet he thinks that if you talk long and hard enough, people will eventually listen. He's thinking that he's in an academic environment and that people will raise points, debate, listen and then come to a sort of rational conclusion. Unfortunately he's underestimating the amount of narcissism in these special snowflakes (don't know who made that YouTube video, but it's very apt). They aren't listening to what he says. They are just revelling in his attention.

He should have solved this by going against all his natural instincts (at one point he's saying that he should at least be applauded for having the balls to engage in this conversation - he really believes they will see that) and walking away. No debate, no attention, nothing. If the parents of these children, because they are children, had done as much earlier on, we wouldn't be at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

clapping with one hand? what about the people with no hands or disability etc

then again that girl going off at the end seemed kinda serious about it

if they are real then we need hitler back

It is utterly ridiculous. These are the same people who make up all sorts of constructions around disabilities. Some would call deaf people developmentally different. In Belgium you have a word that can be translated as differently abled. Of course that only ridicules people with disabilities. It's not as if you lose a leg, but you can suddenly fly. You don't go blind, then suddenly you can read people's minds..

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
It is utterly ridiculous. These are the same people who make up all sorts of constructions around disabilities. Some would call deaf people developmentally different. In Belgium you have a word that can be translated as differently abled. Of course that only ridicules people with disabilities. It's not as if you lose a leg, but you can suddenly fly. You don't go blind, then suddenly you can read people's minds..
Where's it going to end? Are these people going to get offended because somebody started to talking to them without them asking... therefore 'rape'

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's just "Center of the Universe" syndrome... as in my existence and my perspective are the only thing that matters, and anybody who challenges me on that is oppressing or raping me.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's just "Center of the Universe" syndrome... as in my existence and my perspective are the only thing that matters, and anybody who challenges me on that is oppressing or raping me.
It is a societal problem though. And it's probably a very Western problem too.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It is a societal problem though. And it's probably a very Western problem too.
Actually, I just realized something and wonder why nobody else has made the connection.

Who else goes around collecting grievances, no matter how minor, committed against them by society?

Who else acts as if they are the center of the universe, and anybody else around them who might have a different brain or opinion are mere actors in their personal play?

Who else is merely attention whoring to their own beliefs and unwilling to accept that anyone else might perceive things otherwise?

Who else believes any slights they feel against them must all be intentional?

Mass murderers. School shooters.

These are really two sides of the same coin. One -- disenfranchised white males -- tries to shut down dissent through murder, weapons, and mayhem. The rest are what we read about here. They're really all the same. Only the tactics are different.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Actually, I just realized something and wonder why nobody else has made the connection.

Who else goes around collecting grievances, no matter how minor, committed against them by society?

Who else acts as if they are the center of the universe, and anybody else around them who might have a different brain or opinion are mere actors in their personal play?

Who else is merely attention whoring to their own beliefs and unwilling to accept that anyone else might perceive things otherwise?

These are really two sides of the same coin. One -- disenfranchised white males -- tries to shut down dissent through murder, weapons, and mayhem. The rest are what we read about here. They're really all the same. Only the tactics are different.

While I'm not trying to belittle your intellectual achievement here, I came to that conclusion years ago. And I'm quite sure I was not the first to think that way about it either. In fact, I'm pretty sure thousands of psychologists/psychiatrists see it this way. Both issues stem from heavy narcissism. They're not all that different.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

There is a technical term for it. Narcissism. Also described as "seeing life as though it's a movie in which you're the main character, all the others are extras".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There is a technical term for it. Narcissism. Also described as "seeing life as though it's a movie in which you're the main character, all the others are extras".
I think the degree to which you do this is what matters. Obviously we are all the stars of our own movies. It's just that you need to realise that there are other movies too, movies in which you are just an extra or don't even feature at all.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
While I'm not trying to belittle your intellectual achievement here, I came to that conclusion years ago. And I'm quite sure I was not the first to think that way about it either. In fact, I'm pretty sure thousands of psychologists/psychiatrists see it this way. Both issues stem from heavy narcissism. They're not all that different.
Narcissism is a factor. But it's not the complete story, however. We've had narcissists since the beginning of time, and they typically didn't massacre random people in theaters or said that the phrase "America is the land of opportunity" constitutes rape and oppression.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Narcissism is a factor. But it's not the complete story, however. We've had narcissists since the beginning of time, and they typically didn't massacre random people in theaters or said that the phrase "America is the land of opportunity" constitutes rape and oppression.
I'm not talking about NPD. I'm talking about our society making people narcissistic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)