News that makes you say WTF! (90 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
He's loved among blacks and some liberals. He's disliked among other liberals for being something of a disappointing sell-out. Most conservatives hate him because every time one of their own isn't in office, that person is always "the worst, most liberal, communist president evah" no matter who it is.
I don't know anything about US domestic policies and economics but I generally have a much more positive (than negative) feeling about Obama. There is this communication and culture class I'm attending this term in which I'm the only international student. The professor said that "and obviously we all hate Obama" and everybody agreed and they didn't seem to be sarcastic. So even in academia which I assume to be dominated by liberals, people don't seem to like the guy but he hasn't possibly been this bad really, has he?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He's loved among blacks and some liberals. He's disliked among other liberals for being something of a disappointing sell-out. Most conservatives hate him because every time one of their own isn't in office, that person is always "the worst, most liberal, communist president evah" no matter who it is.
I think he is an idiot I don't hate him. He is in over his head.

I still can't get over "ISIS is a JV team"

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know anything about US domestic policies and economics but I generally have a much more positive (than negative) feeling about Obama. There is this communication and culture class I'm attending this term in which I'm the only international student. The professor said that "and obviously we all hate Obama" and everybody agreed and they didn't seem to be sarcastic. So even in academia which I assume to be dominated by liberals, people don't seem to like the guy but he hasn't possibly been this bad really, has he?
From what I get, no one really likes him, and he has many flaws in my opinion as well, but he's in an extremely difficult position. In his first two years, when the democrats still had the majority in congress, he held the illusion of being able to close political boundaries between the two parties, and didn't want to force major political reforms against the Republicans. Then, ever since the first mid-term election in 2010, he had to govern with a divided congress (meaning one half being predominantly Republican), or, since just now recently, with both houses being Republican. This basically had the country on gridlock, and made it extremely difficult for any reforms.
As swag rightly remarked, he's either seen as a sell-out, who has promised to fight Wall-Street & Big Business but has barely done anything against it, or Stalin reincarnated, depending on where one stands politically. The former is in a major way caused by way too high expectations Obama built up during his 2008 campaign.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
From what I get, no one really likes him, and he has many flaws in my opinion as well, but he's in an extremely difficult position. In his first two years, when the democrats still had the majority in congress, he held the illusion of being able to close political boundaries between the two parties, and didn't want to force major political reforms against the Republicans. Then, ever since the first mid-term election in 2010, he had to govern with a divided congress (meaning one half being predominantly Republican), or, since just now recently, with both houses being Republican. This basically had the country on gridlock, and made it extremely difficult for any reforms.
As swag rightly remarked, he's either seen as a sell-out, who has promised to fight Wall-Street & Big Business but has barely done anything against it, or Stalin reincarnated, depending on where one stands politically. The former is in a major way caused by way too high expectations Obama built up during his 2008 campaign.
Spot on. And most of what Swag said, too. :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, @swag, I will be in SF hopefully gain in April. Coffee date? :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, that's largely because you live outside the country. Despite what Hus says below, and outside of his nagging habit of drone bombing tons of innocents, his foreign policy has generally been decent because he doesn't practice American exceptionalism. Contrast with his predecessor, George W Bush, whom much of the left here felt was -- on international relations -- our answer to Vladimir Putin with a drinking problem. (Isn't that nice?)

Chances are your academics are probably more left-leaning. Which means they see Obama as a blown opportunity for reformation, etc. He's failed at a number of competency issues, which is true, but not much more than your typical president, IMO.

The reason for any hate you experience probably stems from the fact that putting a black man in the presidency doesn't mean every African American gets a $10,000 reparation check, that he has been nagged with bad policy decisions such as being the "drone president", and that no one person is really all that capable of changing the billionaire cronies who are ultimately in charge anyway.

I think he is an idiot I don't hate him. He is in over his head.

I still can't get over "ISIS is a JV team"
"Idiot" is kind of comic given his predecessor by comparison. He's made more than his share of mistakes and dropped the ball agonizingly on a number of areas, but the guy is book-smart. He has not been very much in the "political savvy" category, which requires a calculating cunningness he hasn't shown.

Part of that, and part of what we see of him now, is I think he's fed up with Capitol Hill politics and can't wait for it to be over.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
A little off-topic but why do your people hate Obama?
It's easy. Simple as that. People always hate the President when there are problems, regardless of who's in office.

Even though this congress has been the least effective congress of all time. People blame the president as the primary culprit. Mitch McConnell said that it was their (republican) strategy to cease legislation because there have been studies that show people will always blame the president, so long as congress blames the president. Mostly because it's really a pain in the ass to search through legislative sessions and review everything that happens (or doesn't happen) in congress over the course of a year, than to trust what the guy you elected says. You even saw democrats resorting to this strategy during the recent mid-term election. It's a brilliant strategy to keep incumbents in office, but it sucks for congressional productivity.

Fun fact. Congress has an approval rate of less than 15% and they manage to re-elect 90% of incumbents.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Well, that's largely because you live outside the country. Despite what Hus says below, and outside of his nagging habit of drone bombing tons of innocents, his foreign policy has generally been decent because he doesn't practice American exceptionalism. Contrast with his predecessor, George W Bush, whom much of the left here felt was -- on international relations -- our answer to Vladimir Putin with a drinking problem. (Isn't that nice?)

Chances are your academics are probably more left-leaning. Which means they see Obama as a blown opportunity for reformation, etc. He's failed at a number of competency issues, which is true, but not much more than your typical president, IMO.

The reason for any hate you experience probably stems from the fact that putting a black man in the presidency doesn't mean every African American gets a $10,000 reparation check, that he has been nagged with bad policy decisions such as being the "drone president", and that no one person is really all that capable of changing the billionaire cronies who are ultimately in charge anyway.

"Idiot" is kind of comic given his predecessor by comparison. He's made more than his share of mistakes and dropped the ball agonizingly on a number of areas, but the guy is book-smart. He has not been very much in the "political savvy" category, which requires a calculating cunningness he hasn't shown.

Part of that, and part of what we see of him now, is I think he's fed up with Capitol Hill politics and can't wait for it to be over.
It's easy. Simple as that. People always hate the President when there are problems, regardless of who's in office.

Even though this congress has been the least effective congress of all time. People blame the president as the primary culprit. Mitch McConnell said that it was their (republican) strategy to cease legislation because there have been studies that show people will always blame the president, so long as congress blames the president. Mostly because it's really a pain in the ass to search through legislative sessions and review everything that happens (or doesn't happen) in congress over the course of a year, than to trust what the guy you elected says. You even saw democrats resorting to this strategy during the recent mid-term election. It's a brilliant strategy to keep incumbents in office, but it sucks for congressional productivity.
:tup: Makes sense. Again I can only comment on foreign policy but I'd say Bush set such lows during his terms that are very hard to beat. I know people's perceptions of Obama has also to do with unfulfilled expectations but the way people bash him, one would think he's the worst of all time. I really think (and it's obviously just a personal opinion) that the guy does have good intentions even if he's underachieved.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Good intentions?

For 6 years we have seen empty promises.

- - - Updated - - -

He had absolute control for two years with Democratic majority in all houses, loaded the Supreme court and still accomplished nothing and as a result we see extreme Presidential overreach with these Executive orders.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Good intentions?

For 6 years we have seen empty promises.

- - - Updated - - -

He had absolute control for two years with Democratic majority in all houses, loaded the Supreme court and still accomplished nothing and as a result we see extreme Presidential overreach with these Executive orders.
Loaded the Supreme Court? It's still majority conservative and will be overwhelmingly so if the next president becomes a republican.

I agree with the unfulfilled promises. The way he's managed Wall Street and it's regulation, etc. Overall, he's been a let down. But he's had a couple high notes. The Affordable Health Care Act and the economic recovery being the two major ones.

Executive Orders are within the president's scope of power, when you have a do nothing congress you can't really blame him for wanting to do something with his last years in office.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Can't wait for the next Bush to be in the White House :weee:

(Serious question though. Do they have more politicians coming out of that family after Jeb?)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
:tup: Makes sense. Again I can only comment on foreign policy but I'd say Bush set such lows during his terms that are very hard to beat. I know people's perceptions of Obama has also to do with unfulfilled expectations but the way people bash him, one would think he's the worst of all time. I really think (and it's obviously just a personal opinion) that the guy does have good intentions even if he's underachieved.
I'm not really sure how much the good intentions he does show in his speeches and interviews are actually sincere, but basically I agree.

Also with swag and Enron.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Loaded the Supreme Court? It's still majority conservative and will be overwhelmingly so if the next president becomes a republican.

I agree with the unfulfilled promises. The way he's managed Wall Street and it's regulation, etc. Overall, he's been a let down. But he's had a couple high notes. The Affordable Health Care Act and the economic recovery being the two major ones.

Executive Orders are within the president's scope of power, when you have a do nothing congress you can't really blame him for wanting to do something with his last years in office.
Thanks for reminding me of this. Is he not being criticized for this also?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 85)