News that makes you say WTF! (11 Viewers)

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Interesting quote from a right wing dutch politician: "Not all muslims are terrorists, but almost all terrorists are muslims".

I am not an expert on the Quran but these recent events have driven an insatiable curiosity in me to learn more about Islam and understand why it is seemingly behind a lot of the terrorist activity. The more I read quotes from the Quran, the more I was actually quite shocked at its content. It seems that Mohammed was peodophile, rapist, sexist and murderer amongst other things. There are some disturbing literal quotes (while in a lot of cases contradict other quotes). One could argue that you could find some disturbing quotes in the old testament. However, a key difference is that according to Islam, the writing of the Quran are "God's words". Above all else, the attitude is to convert others to Islam or pay taxes to Muslims or be killed. Muslims looking to abandon Islam for another religion are to be killed.

I am pretty tolerant of other people's beliefs. However, I think people should question their tolerance if those beliefs are in direct conflict with the underlying laws and principals of modern society (Islam seems to be incompatible with modern democracy). The UK has let their tolerance swing so far into the extreme that they recognize Shariah law - which by its very nature is almost in direct conflict with British Common Law.

Islam itself is a pretty extremist set of beliefs and principals as far as I can gather up to this point. Of course, the vast majority of muslims are "moderate" muslims who are peaceful and well adjusted. However, if Islam is to be followed to the letter of the Quran, I do have some serious reservations about the future of society due to the growth of Islam. And to be clear the growth of Islam is not being driven from conversion but rather growth in Islamic population as their average birth rate is multiples higher than the global average.

Personally, obsession to ANY religion is dangerous. The relative peace of modern society I think owes a lot to the fact that people are less devout than they were in the past.

So what is my ultimate point? No matter how much modern society strives to be tolerant of all religous and racial backgrounds, ultimately the rule of law is paramount and all its inhabitants must follow it regardless of background. If a group of people's beliefs are in direct contrast with the underlying principals of freedom and democracy, these people should be scrutinized accordingly.
unstable middle eastern guy kills people. he's a terrorist.

unstable white guy goes on a killing spree. he's an unstable man with a tragic background

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
they're both terrorists, use a dictionary.
He means how they're portrayed by media, society's perception.

Which does have an element of truth in it, the shooting in Canada's parliament and this latest hostage holdup in Australia are prime examples.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Iran warned Australia about Sydney attacker

Man Haron Monis, the gunman behind the 16-hour hostage standoff in Sydney, Australia, resulting in the deaths of two individuals and himself, was well known to Iranian authorities. The self-styled "sheikh," who left Iran for Australia in 1996, had abused Australia’s political system to gain immunity from prosecution in Iran, where he was a wanted man.

According to Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham, “The psychological history and condition of this individual, who for more than two decades was a refugee in Australia, was repeatedly presented to Australian officials.” Afkham did not elaborate, but Haron Monis’ history while in Australia paints a clear picture of him as unstable and a charlatan posing as a religious man.

Before changing his name, Haron Monis was Mohammad Hassan Manteghi. As early as 2008, the Australian Shiite community warned federal agents he was an imposter posing as a Shiite ayatollah (in fact, they said there were no ayatollahs in Australia at the time) and no one had ever heard of the two names he was using, "Ayatollah Borujerdi" and "Sheikh Haron." He was, however, in the news at the time for harassing family members of soldiers who died fighting in Afghanistan. Before his conversion to Sunnism to take up the cause of the Islamic State group, Haron Monis had faced a number of legal battles, including numerous charges of sexual assault — under the guise of religious "healer" — and accessory to the murder of his ex-wife in Australia. Fars News Agency reported that Iran had requested via Interpol that Haron Monis be extradited in 1996 for “heavy financial fraud,” but that the request was denied when Haron Monis claimed that he would be persecuted in Iran for his “liberal” views. He was eventually granted political asylum in Australia. A search of Interpol did not bring up anyone by the various names he used, but foreign-based Persian-language Manoto reported that Haron Monis was wanted in a $200,000 fraud case. Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) also claimed that Haron Monis had been wanted by Iran. Interestingly, while most Western media outlets published images of Haron Monis dressed in traditional Shiite clerical garb, IRNA's choice shows a man in sunglasses wearing a white jacket over a black shirt with white stripes and white pants. Australian media outlets had long bought into Haron Monis’ branding of himself as “liberal.” In January 2001, Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Radio National program profiled Haron Monis, before his name change: “While in Sydney, we talk to Ayatollah Manteghi Borujerdi, an Iranian cleric espousing a liberal brand of Islam — dangerously liberal, as his views have led to his wife and two daughters being held hostage in Iran.” The Fars article, headlined, “The con artist who was not returned to Iran under the excuse of ‘political asylum,’” also criticized the Western media for emphasizing his Iranian nationality.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...acker-unstable-con-artist.html##ixzz3M6tQJTB4
----------------------------

Very sad but Australian officials are clearly at fault for this shit. He was clearly an unstable fraud. It's sickening to bring religion into this, AGAIN.
:agree: our authorities fucked up. Should have deported him back to Iran when we had the chance.

I also can't believe he was out on bail and had a fucking license to carry a gun :sergio:

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
What? If waterboarding is a form of actual torture then fuck it, I say do it to every single terrorist we capture. I don't care. Anyone that walks into a school and shoots down innocent children deserves more than a face full of water. If that makes me, and us here in the West extremists then Game On.
Torture is inefective and has no place in a civil world. If you think it's ok to torture people for years and years then I have nothing to add on this subject. You always seemed like a hollow headed american, no surprises here then that you would think - hur dur torture, hur dur save the world.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the feeling from the vibe here that people seem to pay more attention to innocent people killed by the West than those innocent people killed by terrorists all in the name of religion.

Interesting. Also seems like taking the easier way out by not doing anything is better than actually trying to make the world a better place rather than let it burn down.

- - - Updated - - -

Its instant "justification" as soon as something is posted where terrorists kill innocent people. Instantly it gets diverted back to the West and how its our fault rather than actually taking any part in the blame yourselves over there.
By not getting involved in every imaginable conflict and throwing your culture and values down everyone throats no one would want to come to your land kill your people. simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't Americas job to make the world a better place. Right. But no one else is doing anything about it so would you rather live in a world where there is no one trying to make it a better place? There are plenty of places in the world where the US footprint isn't the problem and chaos still endures.
Oh my fucking god :lol:

Americas involvment has nothing to do even at the smallest with making something a better place to live. You're like turk of the western side.

- - - Updated - - -

icemaη;4763159 said:
:tup:

Reminds me of the time Dick Cheney went all "The Iraqis will hail us as liberators". Yup, that went well.
I bet Hustini was jumping and dancing when he heard the news! Finally, we are helping those poor bastards.

Jul 10, 2006
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story.../milwaukee-101-year-old-woman-raped/19233425/

Man, 20, raped centenarian as afterthought, police say

A 20-year-old Milwaukee man has been charged with raping a 101-year-old woman during a September burglary, police say.

Antoine Devon Pettis was tracked down through DNA evidence, the Journal Sentinel reports, citing police and the criminal complaint. Pettis is alleged to have admitted breaking into the victim's home only to steal but carried out the attack spontaneously after finding her in bed.

He told detectives that had he planned the sexual assault he would have brought a condom, reports said.

The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of her injuries.

Pettis, who had been wanted for failing to appear in a 2013 drug case, is being held in the county jail. If convicted of sexual assault, aggravated battery and burglary, he could face up to 55 years in prison.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
He means how they're portrayed by media, society's perception.

Which does have an element of truth in it, the shooting in Canada's parliament and this latest hostage holdup in Australia are prime examples.
What a load of bs. And you know what? Whether it be Breivik or the idiot in Australia, I bet you it has everything to do with them being mentally ill. There's a difference in the way the media portray, what some would call terrorists fighting soldiers in Iraq, and the way they portray idiots going into schools shooting innocent children.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
What a load of bs. And you know what? Whether it be Breivik or the idiot in Australia, I bet you it has everything to do with them being mentally ill. There's a difference in the way the media portray, what some would call terrorists fighting soldiers in Iraq, and the way they portray idiots going into schools shooting innocent children.
here in canada, the parliment shooter was portrayed as a terrorist. even the prime minister called him that. many media outlets called him that.

a few days around the same even, an ex mentally unstable soldier was planning on blowing up a government building. media refered to him as either "man" "ex military man" or "skyscraper attack plotter" no mention of terrorism.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...contacted-veterans-affairs-for-help-1.2827039

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Torture is inefective and has no place in a civil world. If you think it's ok to torture people for years and years then I have nothing to add on this subject. You always seemed like a hollow headed american, no surprises here then that you would think - hur dur torture, hur dur save the world.

- - - Updated - - -

By not getting involved in every imaginable conflict and throwing your culture and values down everyone throats no one would want to come to your land kill your people. simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my fucking god :lol:

Americas involvment has nothing to do even at the smallest with making something a better place to live. You're like turk of the western side.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet Hustini was jumping and dancing when he heard the news! Finally, we are helping those poor bastards.
Well, that went well. :tup:

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
here in canada, the parliment shooter was portrayed as a terrorist. even the prime minister called him that. many media outlets called him that.

a few days around the same even, an ex mentally unstable soldier was planning on blowing up a government building. media refered to him as either "man" "ex military man" or "skyscraper attack plotter" no mention of terrorism.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...contacted-veterans-affairs-for-help-1.2827039
they don't have the same background, probably not the same objective too. Zehaf Bibeau wanted to make a statement against Canada's foreign policy.

- - - Updated - - -

By background, I mean one is an ex-soldier that has served the country, his act most probably didn't have a political message behind its conception, even if he was mentally unstable. Both were as a matter of fact, but the parliament shooter clearly was making a statement by committing the crime where he did.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'd argue that many terrorists are probably mentally ill too. I don't dispute that Breivik and others could be mentally ill, i was commenting on western media's tendency to brand a middle easterner who commits a similar crime to breiviks as a terrorist, while if he were a westerner like breivik they wouldn't jump to the same conclusion.

I'm no conspiracy theorist mind you, I know that its human nature to stereotype people and make sweeping generalizations, in most cases its unconscious bias we're all guilty of that. Doesn't mean we shouldnt point it out though.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
Having said what I said earlier, in events like those, I agree that media in general are quick to call it a terrorist act and amplify the situation if the ethnicity or faith of the one committing the crime is that of an Arab/Muslim.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I'd argue that many terrorists are probably mentally ill too. I don't dispute that Breivik and others could be mentally ill, i was commenting on western media's tendency to brand a middle easterner who commits a similar crime to breiviks as a terrorist, while if he were a westerner like breivik they wouldn't jump to the same conclusion.

I'm no conspiracy theorist mind you, I know that its human nature to stereotype people and make sweeping generalizations, in most cases its unconscious bias we're all guilty of that. Doesn't mean we shouldnt point it out though.
To be honest, the post wasn't entirely for you :D
I just forgot to quote sally.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story.../milwaukee-101-year-old-woman-raped/19233425/

Man, 20, raped centenarian as afterthought, police say

A 20-year-old Milwaukee man has been charged with raping a 101-year-old woman during a September burglary, police say.

Antoine Devon Pettis was tracked down through DNA evidence, the Journal Sentinel reports, citing police and the criminal complaint. Pettis is alleged to have admitted breaking into the victim's home only to steal but carried out the attack spontaneously after finding her in bed.

He told detectives that had he planned the sexual assault he would have brought a condom, reports said.

The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of her injuries.

Pettis, who had been wanted for failing to appear in a 2013 drug case, is being held in the county jail. If convicted of sexual assault, aggravated battery and burglary, he could face up to 55 years in prison.
how did i know he was black before opening that? :snoop:

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
I'm just dropping that to educate Soren, terrorists are persons that "use violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals".

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
I'm just dropping that to educate Soren, terrorists are persons that "use violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals".
Yes, and I can copy past the meaning of racism from a dictionary and we can argue about how the context is much different today.

Edit: Which the definition terrorist is too.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Fuck this.
My point was that if someone deliberately shoot innocent people they are, imo, terrorists. People doing so are (also imo) not the same people fighting against The West, because they lost their own home and family to Western bombings.
We can argue semantics all day, at the end of the day lets just agree that whatever we call them, they're terrible people :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)