dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
The table currently looks like this:

1. Juventus -- 7pts
2. Feyenord -- 5pts
3. Dynamo -- 4pts
4. Newcasle -- 0pts

So, a win against Newcatle on Wednesday coupled with a Dynamo Keiv defeat against Feyenoord will see us through to the next stage, as we will have a 6 point advantage and a superior goal difference compared to Keiv .. and we would be able to rest our players in the last 2 games: Feyenoord (home) and Keiv (away) .. Go for it Juve !!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
hmm I don't think Kiev will lose at home to feyenoord though....
as long as we don't lose, I will be happy with the result, especially with a home game still to play, plus a trip to the weakest team in the group, we will be all set for qualification!

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
and the funniest thing last night on the bus, a girl in newcastle shirt sat opposite me, and I was wearing my juventus shirt :LOL:
Did you punch her? Well? Your avatar may have given me that idea. :angel: :D

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
Damn ITV, they're showing it on ITN news but only for cable customers, those of us with Sky Digital get jack sh*t!:fero:

As for the match, I think it will be much harder than the Inter game, it's do or die for Newcastle and I've seen them enough times to know they won't give up.

If we can carry our form from the weekend though, we will win. We should be positive and look to attack them from the start as their defence is their weakness. To be honest, I'd rather see Zalayeta start then Salas, he looks far from his best. Any chances we get we have to take.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
I wouldn't say the match against newcastle will be much harder than the Inter game, but it certainly won't be easy.

I agree with you Holden about playing Zalayeta instead of Salas. Salas has had his chance in several matches, but still he hasn't scored a single goal. It's time we show some more faith in Zalayeta, after all, he's also a very talented player with big potential.:thumb:

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
Not sure if Zalayeta will play as it looks as if Di Vaio will start along side Ale on Wednesday, but yeah, Salas is playing badly and shouldn't be considered.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
Then I hope Di Vaio score some goals. :groan:

But if Trezeguet will be fit we should play him. Apart from DP, he's our best striker.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #51
    Salas needs to seriously get his act together. This is a player with great potential that we're talking about,but he needs to score a couple goals,regain his confidence and get back to his old self. Until he does that,I would select Di Vaio,Trezeguet and Zalayeta ahead of him. Camoranesi was really impressive against Inter on Saturday,and I have a feeling that he,Davids,Nedved and Del Piero will be the key to our performance and result against Newcastle on Wednesday. Those,along with Thuram,are our most consistent players,and we need another good performance from the lads if we are to survive the trip to St James Park.

Newcastle were horrible against Blackburn on the weekend,but they will be a totally different team in their home stadium,especially since they are in a do or die situation.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
    It's Newcastle once again for Marco Di Vaio. The forward is ready to play. Selected by Lippi for the Saturday match against Inter Milan, Di Vaio could play on Wednesday in the Uefa Champions League. "Actually I'm fit. We should meet the English without thinking about our home match."

The great fear has been forgotten. Di Vaio is really ready. "I tested my body on the field and I'm satisfied. I always wished I could play on Wednesday. On Saturday, before going to Milan I talked to Lippi and we decided I should stay on the bench, to be ready to play. My teammates played very well against Inter Milan, but we didn't score one more goal. I think it's enough though: at least we are able to play well, and we are dangerous."

After Milan, Juventus are going to England for the Uefa Champions League. The match is against Newcastle, a team alreday defeated and still with no points in the standings, even if the English don't want to be considered an easy team. "We are going there to play our match. The English, in their home matches, are always dangerous. However we could win."

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
    Here are the 21 players who have been selected by Marcello Lippi for the Uefa Champions League match against Newcastle. Among them, Antonio Conte for the first time in this season:

1 Gianluigi BUFFON
    2 Ciro FERRARA
    3 Alessio TACCHINARDI
    6 Salvatore FRESI
    8 Antonio CONTE
    10 Alessandro DEL PIERO
    11 Pavel NEDVED
    12 Antonio CHIMENTI
    13 Mark IULIANO
    14 Cristian ZENONI
    15 Alessandro BIRINDELLI
    16 Mauro CAMORANESI
    18 Marco DI VAIO
    19 Gianluca ZAMBROTTA
    20 Davide BAIOCCO
    21 Lilian THURAM
    22 Antonio Mirante
    23 Ruben OLIVERA
    24 Emiliano MORETTI
    25 Marcelo ZALAYETA
    26 Edgar DAVIDS

-------------------------------------------------------------

No TREZEGUET nor SALAS :eek: !!

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #59
    Hey guys,I did up a match preview of my own,no I did not copy from anybody. I used the soccerage set up. Tell me if you like it or not.

Newcastle vs Juventus

AT STAKE
    Italian Champions Juventus top Group E and can clinch qualification on Wednesday night if everything goes right. The Turin giants need to be the Geordies and hope that Feyenoord can beat Dinamo Kiev in the other Group E fixture. However,the Toon army of Newcastle are in a do or die situation,and need all 3 points if they are to make a difference in Group E. Newcastle,who are currently struggling in the Premier League,sit bottom of this enticing Champions League group without picking up a point as yet.

TEAM NEWS
    The Magpies will be looking to their inspirational leaders,Kieron Dyer and Alan Shearer to lead them to victory against the Bianconeri of Italy,and they are no short of confidence going into this match,despite being humbled by Blackburn on the weekend. At home Newcastle can be a serious threat to anyone,and will be hoping to teach that lesson to a Juventus side that sits a in a mediocre 5th spot in Serie A.

Juve however,are coming off of three consecutive league draws,and will be aiming to start up yet another winning streak,starting with Newcastle. Despite their poor league form,the old lady of Italian football have looked quite impressive,especially in their last two Champions League outings,in which they have scored 7 un-answered goals. The key to their success is captain,Alessandro Del Piero. Godot,as he is known as in Italy,seems to have finally arrived and will without a doubt cause problems for a shaky Newcastle defence. The former Padova star has already scored 14 goals in all competitions this season,and sits at the top of the Serie A scoring charts.

LAST 6 MATCHES
    Newcastle - ?L?LWL
    Newcastle come into this match following their embarrasing 5-2 loss Blackburn,and will need to up their playing level a notch or two if they are to be of any threat to a strong Juventus side.

Juventus - WWDWDD
    Juve are unbeaten in all competitions and will be looking to complete the double against Newcastle after taking care of business against them in the Delle Alpi. La vecchia signora's last match was away to Inter,in which they gave a good showing of themselves and were unlucky not to win.

PLAYERS TO WATCH OUT FOR
    Newcastle's hope will come in the form of their attacking players,and need Laurent Robert,Kieron Dyer,and Alan Shearer to outsmart and outplay the Juventus defenders if they want to win. Paolo Montero will be missing for the Italians,and the Magpies will be looking to take advantage of this.

Juve have a whole lot of players playing well at the moment,but the most consistent of them are Lilian Thuram,Mauro Camoranesi,Edgar Davids,Pavel Nedved and Alex Del Piero. Look out for Camoranesi and Davids especially.

PREDICTION
    The Geordies will most definetely get on the score sheet,but Juve are enjoying a much better run in form,and have the better individual players,which might just make the difference come Wednesday. Newcastle's defence wont be able to keep out Del Piero and company for 90 minutes.
    Newcastle 1 Juventus 2

By DP's_Apprentice

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    hey thats a very well written piece. I would certainly prefer to read previews by fans than crappy soccerage ones, so this is a great idea as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)