New UEFA proposal for homegrown players revealed (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Homegrown player plans revealed
Thursday, 3 February 2005

UEFA has unveiled proposed new rules on locally trained players to the public and European football family.

Nyon conference
The UEFA Executive Committee presented the proposed regulations, which would apply to future UEFA club competitions, to the conference of presidents and general secretaries of UEFA's member associations held today at the European governing body's headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

Official approval to come
UEFA has also asked its 52 member associations to consider applying the same rule for their domestic competitions. The proposals will now be presented to the national associations for official approval at the UEFA Ordinary Congress in Tallinn, Estonia in April.

Squad places reserved
The 'A' list that teams submit for UEFA club competitions will continue to be limited to 25 players, and from season 2006/07, at least two places on this list will be reserved for players trained by the club's own football academy and a further two places for players trained by other clubs from within the same association of the said club. The 'B' list will also continue to exist - involving an unlimited number of Under-21 players who have been at the club for two seasons.

Target for 2008/09
In the following two seasons, one additional place for a club-trained and one additional place for an association-trained player will be reserved on the 'A' list, so that by the 2008/09 season, each club will have in its 25-man squad four club-trained and four association-trained players.

Definitions
A club-trained player is defined as a player who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21, whereas an association-trained player is a player who has been registered for at least three seasons by the club or by other clubs affiliated to the same association of the said club between the age of 15 and 21.

Consultation process
The proposals have been revealed after a lengthy consultation process between UEFA and clubs, leagues, national associations, players' bodies, coaches, European political authorities and politicians, and national governments. "We think [the proposal] is a reasonable compromise based on all the consultations we have had, " said UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson. "Although we have had negative responses from some leagues and some bigger clubs in those leagues, all the others involved have been very supportive of this idea. We also think the proposal is legal, because it is a sporting rule, not a restriction, to develop and promote young players."

Negative trends
The proposals have been made after UEFA identified a number of perceived negative trends in European football - lack of incentive in training players, lack of identity in local/regional teams, lack of competitive balance, "hoarding" of players and related problems for national teams.

Restoring balance
UEFA also commissioned an economic study that identified a tendency towards less competitive balance in UEFA club competitions and domestic leagues, an increased link between money and sporting success and for clubs to play fewer local-trained players. The proposals aim to provide more incentive for clubs to train their own players, as well as for the restoration of a competitive balance, firstly at UEFA club competition level, and then at national level if associations accept and implement UEFA's recommendations.

'Something has to be done'
"It seems that as a result of the conference today, most of the associations will now introduce similar schemes in their own domestic competitions," said Mr Olsson. "I think everybody recognises that something has to be done."

www.uefa.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Those f**k heads have no idea that this proposal would kill the game. What will happen to the Ronaldihos (South American), Schevchenkos (non EU Europeans), the Drogbas (Africans), Nakatas (Asians) and Freddy Adus who have made the modern game a joy to behold?

I tell you what...

We can replace them with over-rated Ballacks and Beckhams and watch football plummet.

Thanks to some idiots! :sad::down::angry:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Why don't they just leave the game alone and stop fvcking around with it. From the imbeciles at the Wales FA trying to cut the offsides rule, to UEFA messing with this proposal, everybody just needs stop acting like idiots.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Why don't they just leave the game alone and stop fvcking around with it. From the imbeciles at the Wales FA trying to cut the offsides rule, to UEFA messing with this proposal, everybody just needs stop acting like idiots.
Just goes to prove that the buereaucrats running things are real dumb! I am pissed!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
This is a good idea in principle, but just like introducing the salary cap, it would destroy the game as we know it today.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
This is a good idea in principle, but just like introducing the salary cap, it would destroy the game as we know it today.
Sorry coach, I think the idea's shyte!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
In terms of equality, balance and competitiveness, having a homegrown players rule would balance things out a bit more, but in reality I don't really think it'd make much difference anyway, since the 4 homegrowns out of a 25 man squad probably wouldn't see the light of day

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
The only thing I think homegrown players would return to our modern football is the competitiveness of the local derby (Juve versus Torino for example) or else I think globalization's the order of the day every where, why should the beautiful game be left behind?

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein says Uefa's new ruling on homegrown players could be challenged legally.

Uefa has told clubs they must have four homegrown players in their squad by 2006 to enter European competitions.

But Dein fears the quality of the Premiership will suffer under the new ruling and also believes it "restricts the free movement of workers".

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's misguided and it will almost certainly now be challenged."

At a January meeting, Dein said the Premier League had unanimously opposed the Uefa ruling.

"Few Premier League squads would meet Uefa's current proposals and we think the quality of our league would suffer," he said.

"We probably have the most successful league in the world and we tamper with it at our peril.

"Although it has been proposed for Uefa competitions, there is a danger it could eventually be introduced to to all levels.

"We don't think they can do that."

Arsenal are one of five clubs from last season's Champions League who would not have had enough homegrown players in their squad under the new ruling.

The others are Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

got this from BBC.co.uk. For once Arsenal are actually being useful!

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein says Uefa's new ruling on homegrown players could be challenged legally.

Uefa has told clubs they must have four homegrown players in their squad by 2006 to enter European competitions.

But Dein fears the quality of the Premiership will suffer under the new ruling and also believes it "restricts the free movement of workers".

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's misguided and it will almost certainly now be challenged."

At a January meeting, Dein said the Premier League had unanimously opposed the Uefa ruling.

"Few Premier League squads would meet Uefa's current proposals and we think the quality of our league would suffer," he said.

"We probably have the most successful league in the world and we tamper with it at our peril.

"Although it has been proposed for Uefa competitions, there is a danger it could eventually be introduced to to all levels.

"We don't think they can do that."

Arsenal are one of five clubs from last season's Champions League who would not have had enough homegrown players in their squad under the new ruling.

The others are Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax

got this from BBC.co.uk. For once Arsenal are actually being useful!
Well if only 5 clubs would've failed to meet the requirments, then i dont see a problem here....I mean if that is true, then the new UEFA proposal is more of a norm in clubs of Europe. right? or am i missing some point?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
That's what I was thinking, Whenever I look at Juve's 25-man UCL squad, we've always got some unknown players in there, who are probably homegrown young guns.

What surprises me is that the great youth development squad Ajax of all teams doesn't meet the requirement for homegrown players.

No surprises with Chelsea and Arsenal though :rolleyes:

++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
The others are Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
What surprises me is that the great youth development squad Ajax of all teams doesn't meet the requirement for homegrown players.
Ajax has schools all over the world. Their youth education stopped focusing on Dutch kids a long time ago.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I found the computer room on the university, yes. I won't be coming here much though. It's uncool and uncozy :D

Fli - Italy's nice though I'm currently still struggling at beating homesickness. I go through this every time I travel. I'll get back to you once I'm over it.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Dont worry you will get used to it;)...I meant the uncoolness and uncoziness...u either adapt to it...or make it adapt to u:D

Sep 28, 2002
i know what you mean. it sucks to go to a new place without knowing anyone, being rather unfamiliar with the culture etc. just find your fav bar and a decent football team thats no more than hour away. that should ease the adaptation proccess.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
i know what you mean. it sucks to go to a new place without knowing anyone, being rather unfamiliar with the culture etc. just find your fav bar and a decent football team thats no more than hour away. that should ease the adaptation proccess.
Thanks, I'll do that! Oh and I just received a phone call that a girl from my university back in The Hague has also been placed on the university here in Salerno. She'll arrive on the 18th. In the meantime, I'm working on getting to know as many people as I can. But it's difficult if you can't use other people to help you. Like in The Hague where I would go to places with friends and meet their friends and their friends again. Once the ball starts rolling you're fine but its the first bit that sucks.

Decent football club? I got Salernitana here who play in the bottom of Serie B. Other nearby club is Napoli who of course had to be relegated for this season :doh::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)