New UEFA proposal for homegrown players revealed (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
5 months :nervous:

But the weather rules yeah. It's fifteen degrees and people are walking around like the Siberians in mid-winter. I've taken it as a sign of things to come.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
I love this, because Man Utd & Roma are completely fine, because we already have the condictions to pass this new law. What I find is REALLY funny, can someone name a club that wouldnt pass this law, I'll give you a clue, they are a club from North London, and they also have a huge money drain, called a new stadium, they couldnt afford to buy the new players!

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
5 months :nervous:

But the weather rules yeah. It's fifteen degrees and people are walking around like the Siberians in mid-winter. I've taken it as a sign of things to come.
:D
in lithuania its -13 right now. :lazy:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
:D
in lithuania its -13 right now. :lazy:
Yikes. :dazed: It rarely freezes in Holland (lowest temperature being between 0 and 3) but I think that's cold already.

I can see why you like alcohol so much :D

Sep 28, 2002
nothing like an ice cold beer while sitting outside. :groan:

what i hate is that i was supposed to buy a jacket for winter but in mid december i thought oh ****, it never gets bellow zero this winter, id rather spend that money on booze. and now that hit back on me. lovely!

Apr 12, 2004
Did you know that there would be 4 teams that could not have competed in last years' CL because of the new rule?

Chelsea
Arsenal
Celtic
Rangers

Hmmm, seems like the UK can not produce much homegrown talent, not a surprise to me.

Aug 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
Did you know that there would be 4 teams that could not have competed in last years' CL because of the new rule?

Chelsea
Arsenal
Celtic
Rangers

Hmmm, seems like the UK can not produce much homegrown talent, not a surprise to me.
So basicly these teams if they didnt oblige by the rules they would get disqualified??

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Seriously,few teams actually utilize the whole of the 25 man squad,all they have to do is spend the last two or three spots on a player in their youth team who's never gonna get to play save a massive injury crisis.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
I believe in the principle of give an inch, then take a mile. This whole crap started when limits were imposed on the number of non EU players.
REMEMBER!

Edgar

Feb 2, 2005
UEFA

UEFA out to get the balance right
Thursday, 3 February 2005

Restoring football's competitive balance is one of the reasons why UEFA is proposing new rules on locally trained players - first in its own club competitions, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup, and then possibly in domestic competitions if UEFA's 52 national associations accept the proposals this spring.

Concrete proposals

On Thursday, the European body revealed concrete proposals whereby from 2006/07, clubs playing in the UEFA club competitions would first have to include, in squads limited to 25 players, two players trained by the club's own academy and two players trained by other clubs from the same association.

Eight out of 25

Over the following two seasons, one additional place for a club-trained and one additional place for an association-trained player would be reserved on the 'A' list that clubs submit to UEFA for European club competitions, so that by the 2008/09 season, each club would have in its 25-man squad four club-trained and four association-trained players.

Definitions

A club-trained player is defined as a player who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21, whereas an association-trained player is one who has been registered for at least three seasons by the club or by other clubs affiliated to the same association between the age of 15 and 21. The proposals do not involve players' nationalities.

Less competitive

Studies commissioned by UEFA show that for some ten years or so, both the UEFA club competitions and European domestic top flights have become less competitive, with the same clubs constantly competing for the honours in many countries. "There have been fewer teams winning the competitions, whether it is European competitions or national competitions, over this period," UEFA Chief Excutive Lars-Christer Olsson told uefa.com.

Stopping 'hoarding'

"This is why the proposal also limits the size of the squad [to 25], because we have found out in our studies that some clubs are 'hoarding' players to have bigger squads, or, in some cases, to prevent other clubs having the players - and many players who were national-team players when recruited by clubs have not been playing, or not even sitting on the bench in some cases. Perhaps reducing squads will also have a positive effect on some clubs' finances.

Clear trends

"The trends are clear. We have done studies showing that compared to around 1995/96, when the Bosman ruling was introduced, the number of players trained in an association and playing in [that association's] top league has gone down by 30 per cent."

Political support

Mr Olsson admitted that there had been negative responses to the proposals from some major leagues and their larger clubs, but added that the majority of stakeholders consulted had been in favour. "We don't think there should be any legal problems - of course [the system] could be challenged - but we have talked to [political authorities] in Brussels about this matter, and there is a group in the European parliament called 'Friends of Football' who are very supportive of this initiative - they have even said that more should be done.

Positive noises

"We have been talking to people within the European Commission, and they have told us that as long as UEFA does nothing illegal, it is fine with them. There are a lot of positive political noises around."

That being said... If you could focus your attention to the little red section :D, you'll see the nationality does not matter. So you could have 8 players from Samoa trained at your youth academy. This rule will trigger a hunt for young prodigies, like Jean Carlos Chera (see video here). This 9 year old kid is wanted by Manchester United.
I agree with this rule. My hometown team always loses its best youth players to top clubs who don't pay much attention to youth development. Of course, rich clubs affording lots of scouts will have youth academies filled with foreign talent, but I think this rule helps small clubs.
Someone said something about globalization. How would you feel is Juventus would win the Seria A with no italian players in their team? I'm not being chovinistic, but I think a team shouldn't lose its national identity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)