New transfer rumurs (2 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I'm not Cambell's biggest fan but for Appiah and 4 mln he IS a bargain! We'd be able to get Cannavaro AND Cambell. Not that Moggi'd ever do that..

OP

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
  • Thread Starter #233
    Juventus chiefs in London for Arsenal's Campbell

Juventus powerbrokers Roberto Bettega and Luciano Moggi were in London yesterday for talks with Arsenal.

Juve director general Moggi is determined to prise Sol Campbell away from Highbury, well aware that the England international centre-half is still to sign a new contract.

Campbell's current deal expires next summer and Juve are prepared to offer £6 million plus Ghanaian midfielder Stephen Appiah in exchange for the centre-half.

For their part, Arsenal scouted Appiah at this month's Athens Games and manager Arsene Wenger is said to have received glowing reports.

However, the Frenchman is desperate not to lose Campbell and will resist any offer from Juve for the 30 year-old.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Dream:
    Juve buy Jankulovski/Oddo, Cannavaro, and Saviola and we'll make it to the CL.

Reality:
    We'll start the season with the players we have now minus maybe Tudor and Olivera, and we won't be able to beat this Swedish team which most of us (including me) never heard of.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Yep, the dreams will remain what they are. And honestly, i dont expect anything this season, which supposedly is our rebuilding season. But i dont see how we can rebuild with 30 year old defenders like Sol Campbell and Fabio Cannavaro. But then again, i wouldnt mind any of them making a trip to Turin to play for us. These are indeed, times of need.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    Juve raise Campbell stakes
    Saturday 21 August, 2004

The Bianconeri have pinpointed Sol Campbell as the key to solving their defensive worries and have offered £7m plus Stephen Appiah.

Juventus had one of their worst defensive records in recent memory last season, letting in 42 goals in 34 games, and the shock 2-2 draw with Djurgarden only highlighted the need for changes.

Although names such as Fabio Cannavaro and Massimo Oddo have been mentioned, it seems that Fabio Capello has his heart set on the experience of England international Campbell.

It is now reported that the Turin side has offered £7m cash plus the services of Ghanaian international Stephen Appiah, who is on his way home following their exit from the Athens Olympics.

Arsenal were hoping to keep hold of the 30-year-old defender, but would be willing to accept a switch if Juventus raise their bid to £10m.

There is room for manoeuvre here and director general Luciano Moggi is trying to whittle down the price tag based on Campbell’s recent injury problems.

It must also be noted that the former Spurs man has not yet penned a new contract.

Another option is Fabio Cannavaro, whose deal with Inter also expires in June 2005. The Nerazzurri star was originally offered to Real Madrid, but could now be exchanged with Juventus winger Mauro German Camoranesi.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    I don't believe this, £7m + Appiah for a 30-year old, it's just crap, Moggi would chose Cannavaro over him IMO, after all Canna is cheaper and Italian...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Even id choose Canna over Sol. Besides being Italian his defensive game is very well suited to the way Juve plays. Apart from which, id like to keep Appiah for another season and let him prove himself. It will really be a shame if we send Appiah the other way and Campbell remains out due to injury at times and Appiah does well with Arsenal. It will suck.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Campbell isnt that much younger than Canna, and for the price we are talking about we could have easily landed Mexes or Ferrari or even both. It is just ridiculous and Moggi should be shot if he makes such a deal. Firstly, Campbell isnt exactly youngest player on the pitch, and I doubt he would be here for no more than 2 years. To spend 7m on him + Appiah would be just nuts. Secondly, Campbell isnt exactly the type of defender we need. It is not only vital to get a defender, but also one that fits into the team. Right now we have Thuram, Zebina, Legro, Iluliano as stoppers, and Moggi wants to add another one?
    Thirdly, Campbell is english. Not only they have a bad record, but even without such prejudice which I dont have in this case, he needs to adjust to difference in lifestyle, new people, houses, food and languages. It is not easy to settle in another country which might affect player's performance. At Campbell's age, he cant afford to have one bad season if we are to recover cost.
    And lastly, what is so great about Campbell? He is very good defender in terms of physical ability but one who lacks tactical awareness and even more prone to give away fouls than Walter Samuel.
    Hell, I am not so keen on Canna considering he has been off-form for last two years but I would still take him over Campbell, and for the quoted price range it would be no brainer.
    We might as well try Fabricio Coloccini.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)