New Fifa rule which will screw Nedved (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
whats wrong with replays?
i think its a good idea, but yeah, it would slow the game down a lil bit. darn.
Not only would it slow the game down immensely, it would add an unprecedented level of controversy to any decision that a referee makes. Football is a game that works on the run of play. You can't stop to have replays.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Not only would it slow the game down immensely, it would add an unprecedented level of controversy to any decision that a referee makes. Football is a game that works on the run of play. You can't stop to have replays.
but after games like spain - south corea and many others in that wc you start to wonder "what if.."

i want 2nd official in the game. that would help a bit. and it'd take the pressure of the first one.

OP
Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    Well they can either do like in American Football, where each team is allowed (note sure exactly of the amount) 2 use of replays for decisions they don't agree with. Or they can use replays to certify if a ball entered the net or not. Obviously it would be the fourth man who would have a tv in front of him and at least do something rather than just telling the coaches to move behind the white line.

In the meantime they should implement that rule where they put one or two assistants behind the goal posts so when there's a corner the assistants can control the centre of the area while the ref can follow the ball.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    They use TV decisions in Rugby, and it doesn't cause controversy, nor does it slow the run of play very much. It only takes about as much time as your standard Totti dive.

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #27
    Yeah...imagine the Zambrotta-Bologna penalty. By the time the players had surrounded the ref and Trez taking the penalty, the 4th man would have already easily said it was not a penalty.

Jul 12, 2002
    No no no. Instituting replays would totally undermine the integrity of the referees and ultimately the entire game.

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #29
    Why? :confused:

I don't see Rugby's referee's and game integrity being undermined by the use of replays, so why should football?

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    huh? Ian what are you on about

the video replays are to HELP referees when it comes to big decisions IE giving a team a penalty like the one Juve got vs Udinese..if the ref saw the replay then he would give the penalty and juve and Sensi would finally stop rambling away

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    I don't think replays are a good idea. However, having several other suboedinate refs would help-they can make calls on their own, but there should have to be at least two subordinate refs that agree on a decision to overturn the main refs calls.

Aug 1, 2003
    ian does have a point...
    replays would cause a controversy (football is respectively more passionate than rugby etc) and i think it actually would slow the game down. i can just imagine players surrounding the ref and arguing for god knows how long.

well, i changed my mind bout replays :)

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    Abt This new rule : I think it will be great! This is a gd idea :)

Abt replys: I feel that some kind of method/technology must be developed so that a correct decision can be made by the ref.

Yes, Ian has a point that it would slow the game down.... break the rythm of the game.... etc....

but...... in some impt games.... a single decision can be so crucial. Also... .... if there is a way to have this kind of info/evidence...... it will also help to wipe out Referee coruption wouldn't it?? In a way it's just like they are trying to work out players cheating through Diving.... freigning injuries etc.... but they should do somethings abt the ref here too. No??

The thing is that replys may not be the answer...... I just feel that something has to be done like what replys can offer, but without interupting the game.

Aug 1, 2003
    well yeah, but bad decisions are part of the game. someone did suggest this idea to fifa but fifa said "you might as well put robots as referees then".

this idea is good, however i would prefer a different approach to it. two minutes out of the field etc could prove costly and obviously would be a barrier for players who want to exaggerate their injury , but its just plain weird to see a player wait for 2 mins out of the pitch.

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #36
    It won't necessarily slow down the game, since if there is a dubious decision, the players of the team who are on the receiving end would surround the referee so during that time the 4th man would have already re-watched the replay.

Therefore I don't think that there would be a slowdown i nthe game.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

but after games like spain - south corea and many others in that wc you start to wonder "what if.."
    Hey, what a surprise, I didn't quote this post to argue about the Korean NT this time ;)

i want 2nd official in the game. that would help a bit. and it'd take the pressure of the first one.
    Erm...don't u mean 5th official? Even though they'd be pretty motionless, I guess having one official at each end of the pitch could help with penalty box decisions, as well as offsides. This is hardly practical though...:undecide:

++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

Agreed. Also, if there's a replay happening on the big screen every time something controversial happens, there'd be a big commotion, and all the players would get distracted, pointing their fingers at the big screen... and then some smartass is gonna take a quick freekick and score a goal... THEN there'll be even more controversy...

++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Why? :confused:

I don't see Rugby's referee's and game integrity being undermined by the use of replays, so why should football?
    Because (believe it or not) Rugby is a gentleman's game, in which all the players are honest. Imagine a rugby player taking a dive after taking a slight knock. He'd get dropped from the squad immediately. The only time replays are used in Rugby are for try (score) decisions, to see if the ball went over the line etc.

The only time i might agree with replays in football is for "was it over the goal line?" decisions. Period.

Btw, :LOL: at the thread title, I thought it'd be something serious at first... something about Eastern Europe or something :D

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #38
    Hey but it was serious the thread ;) Especially if Fifa really implement that rule.

Btw, the replay will not be on the big screen for everyone to see, but just a tv screen for the fourth official who's sitting down there anyway doing nothing, so he can follow the match on his tv, and when he sees something like a goal that was no goal etc, then he can inform the ref.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Ahhh...

but then the crowd would be completely in the dark as to what's just happened...I think it'd be more controversial...

imagine this... a goal is scored, and nothing seems wrong. Then 20 seconds later, the 4th official goes and whispers something to the ref...and the ref indicates that the goal didn't count...

how's that for a riot-starter? :undecide:

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #40
    I never saw any riots happen cos the ref did not give a goal but then the linesmen signalled it was, or same scenario for a penalty. A fourth man is like a linesmen and when he sees something the ref did not, he tells him.

I'm sure there must be a way in the middle to make everyone happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)