Netscape Navigator (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Anyone tried this recently? The new one's available for download free from netscape.com. Is it any good? How does it compair to Mozilla?

What's the story with it anyway? I thought that the netscape browsers were gone, and that Mozilla had taken the old source code and improved on it to make their browser.

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
That's what I thought :confused: I haven't really kept track of the whole browser scene for a while now, but seeing as my browser title bar says "Juventuz forums - Netscape Navigator - Mozilla"... that's kind of confusing...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
bah, I never noticed that before :redface:

Well Netscape and Mozilla share history, they were both built on good old Mosaic, at some point the projects split up and Netscape was a commercial company. They did very well in the times of ~96 but soon enough IE's hegemony took charge, to be fair IE was at that point the better browser. I don't know exactly where Mozilla started but the project I believe has been open source since the beginning and in 97 they decided to start from scratch and rewrite the whole browser. Netscape still used their code however, despite keeping a more commercial profile. I imagine Mozilla received support from Netscape's benefactors AOL. Finally AOL abandoned Netscape cause it wasn't profitable anymore and just the other day it was uneathed again. I don't know the status of Netscape presently but I imagine it trails badly after Mozilla, I know v7.x did that very clearly.

In this day and age, I just see no reason to bother with Netscape anymore, Mozilla and Opera are so much better.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    It's version 7.2 right now, and they're bragging about pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. Performance-wise, they may be well behind, but if they're a professional project, designed to promote another product (think Zonealarm) they might catch up a lot of that withing a version or two.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    I've installed Netscape 7.2 about a week ago just to try it out. There are some flaws, especially with MSN site and hotmail. But I like the tab system and have just one window open for internet.

So far I am satisfied by 75%

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, players and player haters...

I am officially concluding that Netscape Navigator 7.1 and 7.2 is a TOTAL TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!

I've started to have problems with my system yesterday. And these problems did not stop until I fixed everything and uninstalled netscape.

Now back to normal.

My advise: do not use it.

I am sticking with the worst browser ever- Internet Explorer.

Thank you very much for your attention.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    I am sticking with the worst browser ever- Internet Explorer.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not inferior Explorer :broken:

Seriously dude, try Mozilla Firefox, you'll never look back

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    You're very welcome :D

I will issue you a written report on what I think about it.
    Do it in the Mozilla thread, if you would. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)