Nationality debate (17 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I'll tell you the real reason why (and Andy) you're bitter. You wanna know? You're not gonna like this.

You think your country is so great that there is no possible reason why anyone would turn it down to play for another nation. So when this happens you scream bloody murder (Andy mostly, on this one). Well guess what, LOTS of people have witnessed that a player from their country has chosen to play for someone else. It happens every frickin day! Podolski and Klose were both born in Poland and went on to become bigger stars for Germany than any Polish player at the time. And guess what, I don't give a shit. If that's what they want, let them do it. They don't have my support if they don't choose my team, but I'm not gonna go around bashing them like some insane zealot. Acquafresca? His mom is Polish, he spends his vacations in Poland. We wanted to recruit him for our NT, he turned us down. Big deal.

So why is it so hard for you people to accept this simple fact of life? Well, it might have something to do with the "USA numbaw one" crap. As Lewis Black said "I was amazed to discover that America is the only country on earth that keeps repeating that they are the greatest country on earth".
Oh Martin quit USA hating just because we have whiskey, sexy, and blacks in the Whitehouse.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Great article from rossi on his HOME HE CLAIMS IS AMERICA!! There you have it boys and girls, he claims USA as his home, when asked why he left he said because its easier in europe. Piss on that, he took the easy way out. American dream my ass man, he even called America his home, lived in the USA longer than anywhere else, apart from living in england and spain. Yet, I will get criticized for bringing up this again. He said all you need to know, where are you andy? I can't wait for your input!!
He also says he feels 100% Italian. His home is in America, but he is Italian. That's what he says. Oh right, you don't understand that other language Rossi speaks. My bad.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Its only natural that a player wants to play football at the highest level and that includes internationally. If I was an Australian footballer and I had the chance to ditch Australian national team for the Azzurri I'd take that chance in a heart beat. We're talking about having a chance of winning the world cup here. How are you to know that your love for your home country would stop you from taking that once in a life time chance?

Its really more of a predicament then you might think.

RavaneVialli

Jan 27, 2008
You think your country is so great that there is no possible reason why anyone would turn it down to play for another nation. So when this happens you scream bloody murder (Andy mostly, on this one). Well guess what, LOTS of people have witnessed that a player from their country has chosen to play for someone else. It happens every frickin day! Podolski and Klose were both born in Poland and went on to become bigger stars for Germany than any Polish player at the time. And guess what, I don't give a shit.
:agree: In addition Rossi was offered a place in US NT and he turned it down with no guarantees that he would ever play for Italy.
“This is the story. When I was young, around 18, Bruce Arena, who then trained the USA, wanted me with him for World Cup 2006, but my dream was Italy".
He wanted to play there wholeheartedly and he achieved that, he turned down an offer to play at the World Cup, so he clearly never wanted to represent USA.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You have a footballing history?
Wrong question to ask me.:D

Believe it or not we have actually had football in the US for longer than yesterday. We even made the Semis of the 1930 World Cup. But I don't really count that because it was a limited field and we had some British ex-Pats on the team.

So technically our footballing history begins in late 1989 with the final game of World Cup Qualifying. Win and we're in lose and we're done. A Paul Caligiuri 25 yard strike on the sandy pitch of Trinidad and Tobago sent a group of college kids to Italy in 1990... (I could go on and rehash the next 19 years for you, but that would be boring for you and you wouldn't know any of the names)

Point is yes we do have a football history. It isn't as lucrative as England or Luxembourg, but it is there.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I'll tell you the real reason why you (and Andy) are bitter. You wanna know? You're not gonna like this.

You think your country is so great that there is no possible reason why anyone would turn it down to play for another nation. So when this happens you scream bloody murder (Andy mostly, on this one). Well guess what, LOTS of people have witnessed that a player from their country has chosen to play for someone else. It happens every frickin day! Podolski and Klose were both born in Poland and went on to become bigger stars for Germany than any Polish player at the time. And guess what, I don't give a shit. If that's what they want, let them do it. They don't have my support if they don't choose my team, but I'm not gonna go around bashing them like some insane zealot. Acquafresca? His mom is Polish, he spends his vacations in Poland. We wanted to recruit him for our NT, he turned us down. Big deal.

So why is it so hard for you people to accept this simple fact of life? Well, it might have something to do with the "USA numbaw one" crap. As Lewis Black said "I was amazed to discover that America is the only country on earth that keeps repeating that they are the greatest country on earth".
I have 3140 posts now martin, please show me one where I have put America ahead of any other nation. Show me one example of me claiming the USA is so much better than everyone else like you claim. I would expect a little more from you, but as your title suggests. You may be wrong, I guess I will just have to deal with it. In the meantime, go read through my posts and show me where I said the United States is the best country in the world. It is great to live in no doubt, but it is by no means the best.

As for ur pole born german nationals I don't agre with them. It is your choice to look the other way, fine. I am not you and I don't generalize.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I remember that Irish team. You played the most boring football ever :p
But you still managed to eliminate the Dutch from the group.
Yeah, I've seen videos of all the matches. We've gone back to playing a similar style of football since Trapattoni took over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)