2 The art of writing or playing music

3 the writing or printed signs that represents the sound to be played or
sung in a play

I got that from the dictionary :D

In my opinion,I think music is just sounds for you to hear

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
It's hard to define it well, without using a dictionary.

It's certain though that different people feels that it is different things, as what some would describe as music, others describe as noise.

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
good music is exciting and pleasant...

but there are certain techno-tracks around i wouldn't consider as music....

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    what about music thats used in horror film scores, or music that is depressing, or angry, etc? thats music too right?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++
    Vit :extatic:
    DJ, it seems that you missed me, awww... :touched:

Hey, great to see you again :)

where's u been?
    im catching up on posts...
    The same reasons as last time, when we talked via PMs ;)

But good fairy told me that you're catching me up, so I decided to drop by, cause I'm not going to quit my position easily :strong::stuckup::D

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Me?

I cant classify the music YOU decribed, cause I can classify music only IN MY OPINION.

And it looks like I said: music is a pleasure.
    And if sth is not a pleasure, that thing is a noise for me, not music.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Can I answer Lac? :)

That kind of music might not be pleasurable as per se, however when you see that bands like Radiohead and Coldplay are popular, you wonder that people actually enjoy listening to sad songs that make them feel down!

So does pleasure in this case means to feel down? If so does that mean that these people are masochists?

I'll go a step forward than vit....Music is the noise that offers pleasure to the brain and heart, cos pleasure by itself would mean happy songs, whilst when you are pleasing either the heart or brain or even both then you are pleasing all of yourself.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Can I answer Lac? :)

That kind of music might not be pleasurable as per se, however when you see that bands like Radiohead and Coldplay are popular, you wonder that people actually enjoy listening to sad songs that make them feel down!

So does pleasure in this case means to feel down? If so does that mean that these people are masochists?

I'll go a step forward than vit....Music is the noise that offers pleasure to the brain and heart, cos pleasure by itself would mean happy songs, whilst when you are pleasing either the heart or brain or even both then you are pleasing all of yourself.
    first of all, thanks for mentioning radiohead.
    second, i disagree i enjoy listening radiohead and they do not make me feel down. opposite, they make me feel great. losta people say that they do not listen to radiohad because they seem so depressed and they make people feel depressed. their songs inspire me, make me feel optimistic. maybe that's just a line from a fan, but i just disagree. eyet i agree very much with the last part of your post.

vit. classical music. for me at least, it is not pleasure. yet it is music, cant argue with that.

music is a combination of sounds that makes sense, whether you like it or not.

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    fli- thanks for finally catching on. although both vit and glenn made sense.

sids(sudden infant death syndrome)- that doesnt define music buddy.

what sense is this that your talking about though, fli?

Sep 28, 2002
    i'm not sure, but prety much everything that can be defined as music can be written in notes. if you just take bunch of notes that wont make a music, whereas notes that match together is music. e.g. metal, many people dont think it is music, but most of metal is a lot more musical than easy-to-listen pop tunes.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Fli I like Radiohead too, but I guess they touch us in different ways. In your case they make you feel optimistic about life; in my case they make me feel down when I want ot feel down, so I guess that at the end of the day they 'please' both of us in different ways :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)