Murray beats Federer (1 Viewer)

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
Scottish teenager Andy Murray halted Roger Federer's two-year, 55-match winning streak on North American hard courts with a 7-5, 6-4 win in Cincinnati

Great win for Murray, he defeated the great Roger Federer, his first defeat on american hard courts for 55 matches and becomes only the second man this year, after Nadal to beat the great man.

Bravo Andy! :toast: :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Well done.

The problem with Roger's greatness is not himself but the big absence of competition. All the big players nowadays are symbolized by inconsistancy or being specialized on certain grounds. At the days of Sampras, the golden era of Tennis in my opinion, he had all sorts of rockets challenging him all the time; not to forget the great rivalries that lasted years with Borris "boom boom" Becker, Agassi and Edberg to a certain extent.

Roger has been lucky to get all this glory.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Jeeks said:
Well done.

The problem with Roger's greatness is not himself but the big absence of competition. All the big players nowadays are symbolized by inconsistancy or being specialized on certain grounds. At the days of Sampras, the golden era of Tennis in my opinion, he had all sorts of rockets challenging him all the time; not to forget the great rivalries that lasted years with Borris "boom boom" Becker, Agassi and Edberg to a certain extent.

Roger has been lucky to get all this glory.
very true, d'you think samprass in his prime would beat federer now?

OP
JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    Agassi & Sampras was a great rivalry, I'm a huge Agassi fan, sad he's retiring this year.

Gotta give Federer immense credit, the pool of challengers isn't a strong as previous era's but he's a genius and could well turn out to be the greatest player ever. But with Nadal and now Murray :D he's certainly got more competition now!

Long may it continue!

OP
    JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    Il Re said:

I think Federer would win, he's the complete tennis player, despite losing tonight!

they played once before at Wimbledon R16. Federer at 19 beat 29 year old Sampras in 5 sets.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Il Re said:
    I am sure he will. Sampras' game is more complete than Roger's. I am not undermining Roger at all, that kid can play and he's really good at variation. He plays well on all grounds but he is facing the king of soil which prevents him from winning the French open. But still, Sampras is more intelligent and takes the balls in a more elegant way. It is a close call as they do approach their opponents in a similar way but Sampras has more feel of the game.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    loyada said:
    I remember 5 years ago federer beat the great sampras at wimbledon ending a long winning sampras streak .
    Yes, Roger a rising star and Sampras nearing retirement, that was one great match :shifty:

OP
    JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11
    Eddy said:
    Same here, my dad loves Agassi and there's no reason why I shouldnt either

impossibe not to love Agassi, a legend of the game and a class act all round. :D

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    JRulez said:
    impossibe not to love Agassi, a legend of the game and a class act all round. :D
    I don't like Agassi, but you might have noticed that I'm a Sampras fan. Actually, I don't mind Agassi and playing Pete was probably a beauty for the eyes, of course we all know the end result.

He's great at the game but class I am not sure about.

OP
    JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #13
    Jeeks said:
    I am sure he will. Sampras' game is more complete than Roger's. I am not undermining Roger at all, that kid can play and he's really good at variation. He plays well on all grounds but he is facing the king of soil which prevents him from winning the French open. But still, Sampras is more intelligent and takes the balls in a more elegant way. It is a close call as they do approach their opponents in a similar way but Sampras has more feel of the game.

Federer is great on clay too, remember he reached the French Open final this year( something Sampras never done) and has won many tournaments on clay where as Sampras was never comfortable on clay and indeed made no secret of the fact he hated the surface.

Also, Federer may be the most elegant player to ever wield a tennis raquet and has invented shots never seen before.

Federer for me edges the contest and he's still only 25 remember!

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    JRulez said:
    Federer is great on clay too, remember he reached the French Open final this year( something Sampras never done) and has won many tournaments on clay where as Sampras was never comfortable on clay and indeed made no secret of the fact he hated the surface.

Also, Federer may be the most elegant player to ever wield a tennis raquet and has invented shots never seen before.

Federer for me edges the contest and he's still only 25 remember!
    If you read carefully what I said, you'd realizze that I mentioned Roger's completeness on all grounds. He's great at clay but he can't win it with Nadal around.

Roger has invented shots the same way Sampras invented shots at his times. It is very difficult to compare two players playing at different ears but I still can't see someone as elegant as Pete or has the game as innate as he had. Just remembering Sampras' opponents and how he used to take them down makes me look much higher at him than I look at Roger.

Morra10 said:
    the only problem is having someone compete with federer like agassi competed with sampras.
    It was not only Agassi man, it was much more than one player.

loyada said:
    speaking of class , samprass is above all players
    Thank you.

OP
    JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #18
    Jeeks said:
    I don't like Agassi, but you might have noticed that I'm a Sampras fan. Actually, I don't mind Agassi and playing Pete was probably a beauty for the eyes, of course we all know the end result.

He's great at the game but class I am not sure about.
    Always thought Andre conducted himself in exemplary fashion. win or lose( mostly lose in the Big Slams versus Pistol Pete though!:cry: ) :D

OP
    JRulez

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
  • Thread Starter #20
    Jeeks said:
    If you read carefully what I said, you'd realizze that I mentioned Roger's completeness on all grounds. He's great at clay but he can't win it with Nadal around.

You do indeed, my mistake. :agree: :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)