'Murica! (65 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Mexico or asylum seekers choosing?

If you claim asylum at least here we have to grant you access until we run you through the system.
Mexico adheres to both https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_Relating_to_the_Status_of_Refugees

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not disagreeing with that as policy to be upheld but if I were in that position I would certainly take the risk to come to the US over stopping in Mexico
Absolutely but would you cry foul about getting caught and getting refused asylum because you went about it illegally?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
If I thought it might give me and family a better chance of getting to stay then of course I would but yea I probably wouldn't feel entitled to it.
You would take your kids from Central America through Mexico? Risky if u ask me. Hard call to make as a parent

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
If I thought it might give me and family a better chance of getting to stay then of course I would but yea I probably wouldn't feel entitled to it.
But it doesn't work that way, the moment you leave the country where your life is in imminent danger, you are not in danger anymore. It's like you are on a sinking boat you should be worried about getting on a lifeboat, any lifeboat, not the nicest one no matter how far it is.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
By this guy you mean Corey Lewandowski?
Yea it was ridiculous.
But it doesn't work that way, the moment you leave the country where your life is in imminent danger, you are not in danger anymore. It's like you are on a sinking boat you should be worried about getting on a lifeboat, any lifeboat, not the nicest one no matter how far it is.
Sure but if the closest one has a few leaks in it I'd keep my eyes open to jump ship for a better one as soon as I can

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You would take your kids from Central America through Mexico? Risky if u ask me. Hard call to make as a parent
You've never lived in El Salvador so you can't really speak to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely but would you cry foul about getting caught and getting refused asylum because you went about it illegally?
I don't think asylum is really the issue here.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Cause Mexicans sometimes kill them on their way to the US.
The more reason they shouldn't go to the us?

- - - Updated - - -

Yea it was ridiculous.

Sure but if the closest one has a few leaks in it I'd keep my eyes open to jump ship for a better one as soon as I can
Lol you just don't want to get it

- - - Updated - - -

You've never lived in El Salvador so you can't really speak to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think asylum is really the issue here.
What is the issue in your opinion

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Isn’t Costa Rica supposed to be one of the more welcoming countries for asylum seekers in Central America?

Is it worth it to pay coyotes and make the dangerous run through Mexico rather than a country that you already speak the language?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...osta-rica-becomes-an-alternative-for-refugees

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.unhcr.org/innovation/5-information-challenges-for-refugees-in-costa-rica/

Organizations have limited capacity: Costa Rica is one of the preferred destinations for Latin American asylum seekers because of its political stability and its position as one of the strongest Spanish-speaking emerging economies on the continent.
That's a good point. But you're not considering several factors. Poverty, education levels, desperation, influence of said coyotes, etc. Generally, the people coming to the US from these areas are poorer, uneducated, desperate, etc. So maybe not in a position to Google asylum statistics and refugee agreements. Smugglers also push to go to the US because of obvious financial reasons. And the most obvious, we are still for many people "the city on the hill", representing safety, security, future, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The more reason they shouldn't go to the us?

What is the issue in your opinion
I have a ton of respect for anyone that makes the trek through central america and mexico to reach the us.

The issue for me is choosing how we treat people. Two things are certain. People will always do anything to come to the US and we will always deport people.
We can choose to deport people with some sort of decency or we can put kids with down syndrome in cages for the legal equivalent of a speeding ticket.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That's a good point. But you're not considering several factors. Poverty, education levels, desperation, influence of said coyotes, etc. Generally, the people coming to the US from these areas are poorer, uneducated, desperate, etc. So maybe not in a position to Google asylum statistics and refugee agreements. Smugglers also push to go to the US because of obvious financial reasons. And the most obvious, we are still for many people "the city on the hill", representing safety, security, future, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a ton of respect for anyone that makes the trek through central america and mexico to reach the us.

The issue for me is choosing how we treat people. Two things are certain. People will always do anything to come to the US and we will always deport people.
We can choose to deport people with some sort of decency or we can put kids with down syndrome in cages for the legal equivalent of a speeding ticket.
From the little time i spent on this planet, i see your perspective as enabling and incentivizing people to make the trek with children, which in the big picture is more detrimental to the children imo as they become high demand emotional pawns. I think empathy is a valuable quality in the human experience, but more than not it gets in the way of actually fixing problems.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
From the little time i spent on this planet, i see your perspective as enabling and incentivizing people to make the trek with children, which in the big picture is more detrimental to the children imo as they become high demand emotional pawns. I think empathy is a valuable quality in the human experience, but more than not it gets in the way of actually fixing problems.
Immigration is an unsolvable problem. You can make things better or worse, but you can never fix it. As long as there are bad places and better places, people from bad places will want to move to better places.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I read news. I don't watch it.

That said, seems to me this is an easily solved problem. Sessions rescinds the policy. Parents and kids stay together during the asylum process.

But Trump wants a wall, so he's using children as hostages to get it. Hopefully the Dems don't back down. The wall would be one of the biggest mistakes in US history.

Also, I see a lot of people making excuses to do bad things. In the media, in life. We should probably work on that as we're turning into a country of assholes.
What’s been happening in the US since Trump as well as the fact that many people who are neither uneducated nor unintelligent nor even poor support him have changed my positive impression of this country and its people. And I sadly think Trump is here to stay and his disgusting conduct does and will encourage the ugly in otherwise decent people.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea it was ridiculous.

Yea I couldn’t see the big balls.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
"Illegal immigrants infest our country" and "Everyone is cheating and taking advantage of America"

The US is heading down a slippery slope. The rhetoric is chilling. The constant lying absurd. The attack on free media dangerous.

Trump and his sycophants wants Americans to feel liek victims; hate immigrants and despise the allies of US.

Btw. 20& of the Americans do not want Trump impeached if he pardons himself. That's 20% that wants him as a dictator.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
"Illegal immigrants infest our country" and "Everyone is cheating and taking advantage of America"

The US is heading down a slippery slope. The rhetoric is chilling. The constant lying absurd. The attack on free media dangerous.

Trump and his sycophants wants Americans to feel liek victims; hate immigrants and despise the allies of US.

Btw. 20& of the Americans do not want Trump impeached if he pardons himself. That's 20% that wants him as a dictator.
Turk_Bianconero’s of America.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Immigration is an unsolvable problem. You can make things better or worse, but you can never fix it. As long as there are bad places and better places, people from bad places will want to move to better places.
It isn't. But it's unsolvable if you only want to use "soft" methods.

The thing is the populations in the US and in Europe wants soemthing done about immigration, and in the last 20-30 years those in power haven't done enough, add to that the working class' struggles and you have the base from which can build and win on right wing nationalism.

We have these conflicts all around the Western world, there's a crisis in the German Government at the moment based largely on immigration.

If politicians want to keep and defend the liberal democracy, it's tiem to wake up and realise in what direction voters are moving - The Democrats arrogance gave Trump the victory.
The stuff about the kids is heartbreaking, but if soemthing isn't done about migration now, we'll end up shooting people at our borders (and by this I mean that in tiem extreme people will rise to power).

- - - Updated - - -

Turk_Bianconero’s of America.
I fear the number will increase.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It isn't. But it's unsolvable if you only want to use "soft" methods.

The thing is the populations in the US and in Europe wants soemthing done about immigration, and in the last 20-30 years those in power haven't done enough, add to that the working class' struggles and you have the base from which can build and win on right wing nationalism.

We have these conflicts all around the Western world, there's a crisis in the German Government at the moment based largely on immigration.

If politicians want to keep and defend the liberal democracy, it's tiem to wake up and realise in what direction voters are moving - The Democrats arrogance gave Trump the victory.
The stuff about the kids is heartbreaking, but if soemthing isn't done about migration now, we'll end up shooting people at our borders (and by this I mean that in tiem extreme people will rise to power).
People will always migrate. Looking at only the US, we've had like 4 major migrations in the last 100 years. How do we stop that? Separate families at the border? They're still going to come. Shoot families at the border? They're still going to come. Hard or soft methods, it doesn't matter. You can't solve immigration, you can't stop it. Accept that and maybe you can come up with a way to make it better or more manageable.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
People will always migrate. Looking at only the US, we've had like 4 major migrations in the last 100 years. How do we stop that? Separate families at the border? They're still going to come. Shoot families at the border? They're still going to come. Hard or soft methods, it doesn't matter. You can't solve immigration, you can't stop it. Accept that and maybe you can come up with a way to make it better or more manageable.
Tell that to the voters. If you don't solve the problems of the voters, you are not gonna get the votes. If Washington/EU is not gonna help us, we'll find soemone else; que Trump, Le Pen, AFD, Brexit, Lega/MS5, Orban, etc.

Why have a democracy if the politicians do not listen to and then solve our issues?

- - - Updated - - -

The humanistic superpower of Sweden have a general election in september. The big parties fear of doing anything against the immigration issues means that Sverigedemokraterna very well could become the biggest party in Riksdagen.

The tiem of liberal immigration laws are over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)