'Murica! (48 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Weren't people here saying not to worry about these protests because its only in a couple large cities and weren't wide spread?

How many here actually heard of Provo before this?
Oh, me alright. I was moving back to California from North Carolina once when I was out of grad school.

Drove through Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Western Colorado when my car's cooling system went to hell. My water pump was dying. So while nursing my radiator with regular water refills heading up US Hwy 6 off I-70 towards SLC, I managed to get out of the Utah desert and made it to the first semi-populous town of Provo-Orem, UT. I step into a hotel and ask the dude at the front desk, "Where should I bring my car to replace a water pump?"

The guy answered, "Oh, you don't want to have your car repaired in Provo."

So I'm like, "Why is that?"

He says, "Because Provo-Orem is considered the auto-repair ripoff capital of America."

I'm like, "What?!"

He says, "Hey, we're all Mormons here. So if someone tells you that you need a new transmission, we believe you."

Not wanting to nurse my car further north to SLC, I decide to find a repair shop in Provo anyway. Get my water pump fixed. The repair guy asks, "We ought to flush your radiator too -- it's a new pump and all." I am like, "Well, that kind of makes sense... alright." Bastard gives me the SuperDeluxe radiator flush for three times the regular price. And I think back to the hotel clerk, "Damn you, you were right!!"

Flagstaff has the weirdest climate in the US. 2 hours from Phoenix and 30 degrees cooler.
Altitude. That and all the plastic surgery in Phoenix (it's like LA without any of the good things about LA) adds to the chemical fumes that hang above the city.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Oh, me alright. I was moving back to California from North Carolina once when I was out of grad school.

Drove through Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Western Colorado when my car's cooling system went to hell. My water pump was dying. So while nursing my radiator with regular water refills heading up US Hwy 6 off I-70 towards SLC, I managed to get out of the Utah desert and made it to the first semi-populous town of Provo-Orem, UT. I step into a hotel and ask the dude at the front desk, "Where should I bring my car to replace a water pump?"

The guy answered, "Oh, you don't want to have your car repaired in Provo."

So I'm like, "Why is that?"

He says, "Because Provo-Orem is considered the auto-repair ripoff capital of America."

I'm like, "What?!"

He says, "Hey, we're all Mormons here. So if someone tells you that you need a new transmission, we believe you."

Not wanting to nurse my car further north to SLC, I decide to find a repair shop in Provo anyway. Get my water pump fixed. The repair guy asks, "We ought to flush your radiator too -- it's a new pump and all." I am like, "Well, that kind of makes sense... alright." Bastard gives me the SuperDeluxe radiator flush for three times the regular price. And I think back to the hotel clerk, "Damn you, you were right!!"

Altitude. That and all the plastic surgery in Phoenix (it's like LA without any of the good things about LA) adds to the chemical fumes that hang above the city.
So many stories I have heard through the years of people having car issues in literally the worst places in the US to have car issues :grin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 29)