'Murica! (190 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
I don't know who you are following, but that has not been my experience. Also, in general I prefer for people to be able to speak their mind without having to walk on eggshells, regardless of how much i disagree with them. At least now you dont get banned for saying trans are not women.
I’ve been discussing this with a co-worker for months now. My opinion is in line with yours.

Basically what he says is that X became far right, usually I respond by saying that probably a lot more people than we expected a year or two ago are actually conservatives, or have far right opinions on certain subjects, and we’re seeing that back in the shift in politics now.

Than ongoing to the next ‘problem’, what do you do with it. He hinted to moderating things and my opinion is that moderating opinions is just a nice word for censorship, especially if those opinions aren’t breaking any laws. It’s an argument he struggles to counter. And honestly analysing this, would you really want to give X employees the power to control narratives just because it isn’t in line with what the government thinks.

The only thing I struggle with is what do we do with disinformation and who has the monopoly on the truth in that case. I think that it’s for the police or services in the countries where it happens to fight that, but it’s a difficult subject. Also because it isn’t always very nuanced and simple things like memes can be very powerful.

I do agree with Elon Musk that as long as opinions aren’t breaking the law, free speech applies. But the reality is that it’s a quite complex discussion.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I’ve been discussing this with a co-worker for months now. My opinion is in line with yours.

Basically what he says is that X became far right, usually I respond by saying that probably a lot more people than we expected a year or two ago are actually conservatives, or have far right opinions on certain subjects, and we’re seeing that back in the shift in politics now.

Than ongoing to the next ‘problem’, what do you do with it. He hinted to moderating things and my opinion is that moderating opinions is just a nice word for censorship, especially if those opinions aren’t breaking any laws. It’s an argument he struggles to counter. And honestly analysing this, would you really want to give X employees the power to control narratives just because it isn’t in line with what the government thinks.

The only thing I struggle with is what do we do with disinformation and who has the monopoly on the truth in that case. I think that it’s for the police or services in the countries where it happens to fight that, but it’s a difficult subject. Also because it isn’t always very nuanced and simple things like memes can be very powerful.

I do agree with Elon Musk that as long as opinions aren’t breaking the law, free speech applies. But the reality is that it’s a quite complex discussion.
I have some Arizona beachfront property to sell you if you think Elon Musk is pro free speech.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
State senator in the Arizona Chamber leading a “prayer group” before the Supreme Court. The GOP has gone batshit insane. :lol2:
Why is that guy giving that chipmunk CPR in the middle of the senate floor?

Idk and idc if Elon Musk is really about free speech but I'd much rather have a platform where censorship/moderation is kept at a minimum.
It's double-edged.

Moderation has its place, IMO. If you let it all run free, it seems every forum turns to extremist, toxic soup with people competing with each other to be the most offensive for attention. It's a race to the bottom, leaving the only option left for the sane people to just troll everyone else as "haha we're all gonna die" fatalists as a survival mechanism.

Nature even published research backing that up, regardless of platform:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-024-07229-y

It pretty much suggests that once people start sh*tting in the river, everyone ends up doing it and nobody wants to live in rivers of sh*t eventually.

The only reason Reddit, which I've always called a magnet for troglodytes, has any public market valuation is due to its relatively successful self-moderation.

But the other side is moderation that becomes the fun police. You can't even joke about things without being taken for a fundamentalist weirdo or bigot, turning the whole arena into a football match where the ref is handing our ejections to everyone. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nuremberg_(2006_FIFA_World_Cup)

People moan all the time, whadabboutism becomes rampant, people disappear for random streaks of time killing any consistency, and the whole thing feels like an overly monitored birthday party for five-year-olds.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Separate aid packages for Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan will come to a vote in the House on Friday. I'm hoping that even through all the disfunction, we make the right decisions as a nation here.
Spirits are down on the Mayorkas auto-da-fé. So a bunch of people are going to need something to show their taxpayers for sending them there besides the thumbs up their tailpipes. So don't be surprised if someone grandstands on any one of them as the hill to die on.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I'm cool with giving some money to Ukraine.

Taiwan? They have all those microprocessors and shit, they're fine.

Israel? I wouldn't give them a dime.
In fact at this rate, Israel should probably be paying us.

- - - Updated - - -

Spirits are down on the Mayorkas auto-da-fé. So a bunch of people are going to need something to show their taxpayers for sending them there besides the thumbs up their tailpipes. So don't be surprised if someone grandstands on any one of them as the hill to die on.
I would assume the Taiwan bill is almost a guaranteed pass though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 181)