Ms goes out to ward people off Linux (1 Viewer)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Welcome to the Coke Vs. Pepsi wars of the 21st century.

Obviously, Microsoft sees Linux as a threat, or they wouldn't even bother with this.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
They would not disclose their anti-Linux-advertising budget :D
haha! surprise surprise :rolleyes:
but this may get a lot of people to go to Linux because they hate microsoft so much!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
That's a good point Henry - this might be the biggest, cheapest advertising drive Linux ever undertook! Think of all those people who've barely heard of Linux. Some of them will look into it if Microsoft start making a fuss about it.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Dont really see the point in this... Microsoft dont need to, Linux hasnt got the appeal for your average pc user.

Personally, I'd take longhorn over linux everytime

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    It's not about your average pc user, Paul. :) Windows has all the power they want in that field, this is about the corporate market..

Btw isn't that a little rash when you don't even know what Longhorn is going be like? :)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    It's not about your average pc user, Paul. :) Windows has all the power they want in that field, this is about the corporate market..

Btw isn't that a little rash when you don't even know what Longhorn is going be like? :)
    You havent used longhorn?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    Considering that it's not even in alpha and most of the announced new features haven't even been written, no I have not. It's not scheduled until 2005...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++

why are you sad..?
    It's more of a sigh. tsk tsk, microsoft. I think the Simpsons episode where Bill Gates goes and 'negotiates' with Homer's internet company was correct, though on a smaller scale.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    Considering that it's not even in alpha and most of the announced new features haven't even been written, no I have not. It's not scheduled until 2005...
    So your saying the development longhorn build 4051 that thousands of people are currently experimenting with isnt real... uhmm ok

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    So your saying the development longhorn build 4051 that thousands of people are currently experimenting with isnt real... uhmm ok
    That's not the point. The point is that Longhorn so far is a new layout and some eyecandy but people expect (and MS has announced) a lot more by 2005 when it's released.

EDIT: Ok, let me ask you then.. does your copy have WinFS? A filesystem indexed with a database to make file seeking/categorizing faster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)