MS Excel help (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I want to know how (and if) you can add a numeric value to text in Excel.

I'm doing a sheet for the StrikerMania game, so that its easier to calculate the number of points scored every week, so that me and Stu dont have to to it manually.

I'm going to attach the file here (when you download it just change the extension to .xls). Please open it so I can explain what I want.

1. First, look at the striker list under all the entries. Look at Cassano for example. Now, I want to add a numeric value to the word "Cassano", and that numeric value would be in cell #C78. So if I enter 2 in that cell, I want the numeric value of "Cassano" to be 2.

2. Look at Loppan's entry at the top of the page. See Cassano with one point? Right, so that I dont have to make the formula manually if players change the number of points each player gets, I would like the formula to look like this: G10=E10*F10. Since F10=Cassano, and the value assigned to Cassano is 2, it would be 2*1=2. If I made this work I would never have to change the formula, and it would make things much easier, especially if there were a lot of participants.

Gray, Martin, any other geek please help!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yes, I figured that out. But if I changed the place, I'd have to make a new formula, say instead of e10*c78, it would have to be e8*c78, and I'd have to do that for every player that changed position. If I made this work, I'd just have to put the player in the right place (points wise) and input how many goals he scored, I wouldt have to change the formula every time for every player.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Yeah I get what you're trying to do but I don't know how, I never really used Excel beyond the most basic of operations.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    I've been playing around with Excel today but cant seem to get it.

If anyone knows please let me know.

BTW, thanx anyway Martin :)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    AFAIK, there is no direct way to do it.. I'll play around with Excel to figure it out.. maybe there is an indirect way to do it.. I'll let you know if I find something..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Yeah i'll take a look too Z, but first i have to make a 5 minute clip out of 16 hours of video :scared:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    i put a different one up, with Christ on the cross, but then decided that Jesus' resurrection was a greater victory than his death :strong:

and i haven't changed my since I registered here :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    Did I say I needed to make a 5 minute clip of a 16 hour video? :irritate:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Ah, excel... Remember learning that in school back in the day. Can't help sorry, but I think there are newsgroups and messageboards made to help.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)