Movies you've seen recently... (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Milk. It's a local thang. Penn was great, as expected. But the writing made Harvey Milk into a one-dimensional character that only did gay rights, opera, and blowjobs and nothing else.

Required San Francisco viewing. But beyond I'd still give it a 7/10.

Buy on AliExpress.com

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Milk. It's a local thang. Penn was great, as expected. But the writing made Harvey Milk into a one-dimensional character that only did gay rights, opera, and blowjobs and nothing else.
Well it portrayed the last years of Milk's life which was completely devoted to defending homosexuals' rights. It is not possible to progress a character polydimensionally in a movie runtime especially when the movie is exactly supposed to focus on one specific facet of a character.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well it portrayed the last years of Milk's life which was completely devoted to defending homosexuals' rights. It is not possible to progress a character polydimensionally in a movie runtime especially when the movie is exactly supposed to focus on one specific facet of a character.
Not entirely. The guy was a prankster as a SF supervisor, and little of that was revealed about his character. Heck, even Diane Feinstein was kept at arm's length throughout the movie, and she was the president of his board. Then there's his work on free public transit, child care, and citizen watchdog agencies on the police. None of that was touched. And he was a huge advocate of small businesses in the face of big business interests -- a legacy that still exists today in San Francisco given its attitude towards major chain stores.

Didn't have to be as long as Gandhi, since the movie only covered 8 years. But it characterized him as "all gay rights all the time", which wasn't the case.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Gomorra didn't do it for me. Very powerful subject matter, but told badly. I'd have to compare it to something like The Wire, which does something similar for the slums of Baltimore, but with far more punch - it has deep painted characters. Gomorrah fails to make you relate with its charactors. When one guy walks away from it all, I don't care. When some people die, I don't care. There's great potential there, but it's not fulfilled. I expect the book is far better.
I have to side with mikhail on this one. Just saw Gomorra. It has some interesting elements in the neo-realism style. Even if it is five barely-connected stories. But each of the vignettes, while painting a picture of what it does to a community, failed to resonate with me as a person. About the most conflicted I got in the story was when Totò was forced to decide between his old friends and new friends. But nothing was allowed to go deep enough for me to connect enough with it.

Whereas I liked Slumdog Millionaire even if I thought it paled in comparison to City of God, Slumdog was better put together and told a better (even if far from realist) story than Gomorra. I just couldn't get into any of its characters.

Maybe not like Sex, Lies, and Videotape..., which earned rave reviews and yet I couldn't stand because I thought all the characters were pathetic losers that should all be killed. But I felt nothing, positive or negative, in Gomorra when these people were killed.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Gomorra didn't do it for me. Very powerful subject matter, but told badly. I'd have to compare it to something like The Wire, which does something similar for the slums of Baltimore, but with far more punch - it has deep painted characters. Gomorrah fails to make you relate with its charactors. When one guy walks away from it all, I don't care. When some people die, I don't care. There's great potential there, but it's not fulfilled. I expect the book is far better.
What the book tells you is: no one cares.

Makes the movie more interesting to watch if you start out with that basic thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)