Movies you've seen recently... (106 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Well, Hoffman already has an oscar so he doesn't "need" one.
And who needs an Oscar after death? :D

Sean Penn had an Oscar, but they decided to give him another.
I feel sorry for Mickey Rourke. Just if he didn't have such bizarre personality. I'm sure they didn't want to hand Oscar to someone with such strange costume and probably with a very vulgar speech. What a pity.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That says a lot. Do you think it would have been if he hadn't died? As I remember the atmosphere everyone was mourning his death and almost searching for a way to celebrate him. Then his movie came out and everyone automatically loved him in it. I never saw a single critic. It seems to me they were determined to celebrate him.
:agree:

Which is kind of a shame, really. Humans are terrible at separating the men from their body of work. This is why we are always conflicted when our favorite performers and actors turn out to be ass#$^%#s in real life, or why we buy up back catalogs of albums and swoon over musicians who largely went under-appreciated while they were alive.

Eulogies have no place in an annual award procedure. It makes it difficult for both the late, great performers who deserve it and the ones who didn't.

true. this one critic who talked bad about the movie got his life threatened
:frown: *sigh* I can't say that I am surprised, however.

I've read plenty of negative reviews (I searched them out to provide some fresh perspective). Very few of them made any sense. One guy even argued that he was inferior to Caesar Romero.
Actually, when I saw the Dark Knight in the theaters, I remember leaving the theater having a much greater appreciation for Cesar Romero. Because I felt some of Ledger's best moments channeled some of the quirks and characteristics that Romero played. In a way, the contrast made me realize how critical they were to the formation of a Joker video persona -- things Romero had created and were worth emulating some 30 years later.

I mentioned this to the friend I saw the movie with, and he said the same thing: Ledger's performance made him appreciate the technical merits of Romero's acting all the more.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I feel sorry for Mickey Rourke. Just if he didn't have such bizarre personality. I'm sure they didn't want to hand Oscar to someone with such strange costume and probably with a very vulgar speech. What a pity.
The Oscars generally enjoy a good comeback kid and regularly reward the bad boys.(Sean Penn anyone?) But at the same time the Academy judges you as much by your body of work as your performance that was nominated. Unless of course you show that you are hands above the rest. (See Adrian Brody, Forrest Whitaker)

Mickey Rourke was gone for a long time and even though he is a good actor, he hasn't played their game long enough. Bill Murray got screwed over the last time Sean Penn won for Mystic River, even though Murray was far superior in Lost in Translation. Which leads me to the explanation for the reason the give a best writer award.:D

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
The Oscars generally enjoy a good comeback kid and regularly reward the bad boys.(Sean Penn anyone?) But at the same time the Academy judges you as much by your body of work as your performance that was nominated. Unless of course you show that you are hands above the rest. (See Adrian Brody, Forrest Whitaker)

Mickey Rourke was gone for a long time and even though he is a good actor, he hasn't played their game long enough. Bill Murray got screwed over the last time Sean Penn won for Mystic River, even though Murray was far superior in Lost in Translation. Which leads me to the explanation for the reason the give a best writer award.:D
see thats the thing, if you want to win an Oscar then you have to play the game. Jack Nicholson is the ultimate player in that department, he holds a lot of sway and knows all the tricks,contacts,etc

he plays the game as he knows that even with a reputation like his, sometimes you need to kiss some asses

Jan 7, 2004
:agree:

Which is kind of a shame, really. Humans are terrible at separating the men from their body of work. This is why we are always conflicted when our favorite performers and actors turn out to be ass#$^%#s in real life, or why we buy up back catalogs of albums and swoon over musicians who largely went under-appreciated while they were alive.

Eulogies have no place in an annual award procedure. It makes it difficult for both the late, great performers who deserve it and the ones who didn't.

:frown: *sigh* I can't say that I am surprised, however.

Actually, when I saw the Dark Knight in the theaters, I remember leaving the theater having a much greater appreciation for Cesar Romero. Because I felt some of Ledger's best moments channeled some of the quirks and characteristics that Romero played. In a way, the contrast made me realize how critical they were to the formation of a Joker video persona -- things Romero had created and were worth emulating some 30 years later.

I mentioned this to the friend I saw the movie with, and he said the same thing: Ledger's performance made him appreciate the technical merits of Romero's acting all the more.
thing is, i heard the guy defend his position for 25 mins on the radio. he seemed pretty reasonable

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003

That's an interesting way to look at it. I must keep it in mind the next time I stumble on some 60s Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 106)