Movies you've seen recently... (113 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

What's the English title? Can't very well ring up the local cinema and say I would like to know if they show the movie with the title that starts with a dot, then a stripe, then a curl and then... :D
It's Arabic, mate.. Can't exactly expect it to be in cinemas around Europe.. :D

In any case, I'll try to give an english translation of the title:

"Al Safara Fil 'Imara" (The embassy's in the building)

Basically tells the story of how an Egyptian guy returns to his apartment (which he owns, btw) in Egypt, and how he finds out that the Israeli government has bought the whole building, bar his apartment, for its embassy HQ.. Politically-provoked hilarity ensues.. :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Nawaf ] ++
It's Arabic, mate.. Can't exactly expect it to be in cinemas around Europe.. :D

In any case, I'll try to give an english translation of the title:

"Al Safara Fil 'Imara" (The embassy's in the building)

Basically tells the story of how an Egyptian guy returns to his apartment (which he owns, btw) in Egypt, and how he finds out that the Israeli government has bought the whole building, bar his apartment, for its embassy HQ.. Politically-provoked hilarity ensues.. :D
Hey sounds funny :D

And I'm sure I can find it in a cinema; not one of the big ones but one of the smaller 'cult' cinemas - they have a habit of showing all sorts of movies from all over the world.

Europe ain't that bad ;)

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005

And I'm sure I can find it in a cinema; not one of the big ones but one of the smaller 'cult' cinemas - they have a habit of showing all sorts of movies from all over the world.

Europe ain't that bad ;)
Oh, ok then.. And the good thing about this movie is that it comes with English subtitles.. I might be Arabic, but I have to admit, I can't understand most Egyptian.. :D

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Europe ain't that bad ;)
I am travelling to Lebanon in December, if you want I can try to get some of these Egyptian movies back with me.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
I am travelling to Lebanon in December, if you want I can try to get some of these Egyptian movies back with me.
Oh if you could, that would be brilliant. I'm always interested in this type of thing!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Oh so Egyptian to Arabic is like Australian to English then? :D
Arabic is the formal language that is only heard on the news and read in books, newspapers, journals or anything printed. Then there is the spoken dialect that cannot be written (it can but it will look wrong and awful). These vary from one country to another and even they vary within countries. I can proudly say that our dialect along with the Syrian, Jordanian and Palestinian can be mostly understood from the others.

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005

Arabic is the formal language that is only heard on the news and read in books, newspapers, journals or anything printed. Then there is the spoken dialect that cannot be written (it can but it will look wrong and awful). These vary from one country to another and even they vary within countries. I can proudly say that our dialect along with the Syrian, Jordanian and Palestinian can be mostly understood from the others.
Sorry, mate, but I think your dialect sounds gibberish to me, too.. :p

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005
Gah that would seriously put me off from learning Arabic. All the dialects... it would be impossible!
mate, Arabic is the 2nd hardest language in the world.. (I think..) Second only to Korean, I think..

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Gah that would seriously put me off from learning Arabic. All the dialects... it would be impossible!
If you are to learn Arabic, you will learn the formal Arabic and any educated person will be able to understand you; however it is not fun to conversate in Arabic.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
mate, Arabic is the 2nd hardest language in the world.. (I think..) Second only to Korean, I think..
That wouldn't stop me; I have a talent for learning languages and when it comes to that I never dodge a challenge. But if it would be impossible to learn one form (verbal) that I could use in most territories, there would be little point.

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005

That wouldn't stop me; I have a talent for learning languages and when it comes to that I never dodge a challenge. But if it would be impossible to learn one form (verbal) that I could use in most territories, there would be little point.
Oh, that.. Just learn khaleeji, mate.. everyone else understands us.. :D

(Or so we like to think.. :p)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Sorry, mate, but I think your dialect sounds gibberish to me, too.. :p
Is it? I always heard from several people coming from several countries wether from Asia or from Africa that our dialect is the most understandable. Moreover, Altair thinks the Lebanese dialect is cute :stuckup:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Oh, that.. Just learn khaleeji, mate.. everyone else understands us.. :D

(Or so we like to think.. :p)
It seems that each dialect thinks that everyone else understands them :D

/usr/bin

Excellent
Mar 6, 2005

Is it? I always heard from several people coming from several countries wether from Asia or from Africa that our dialect is the most understandable. Moreover, Altair thinks the Lebanese dialect is cute :stuckup:
Oh, there's nothing sexier than a woman speaking Lebanese.. just not a man.. :D

I dunno.. maybe it is to other people, but since I grew up on khaleeji, I find your dialect to be very different than ours..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 113)