Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (129 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Typical Korean movie. Mix of genres at times feel like slap stick comedy yet so dark and disturbing. This is why I love them. Check out the directors other movies which include Okja and Snowpiercer.

The Chaser, The Wailing and A Bittersweet Life are also great Korean movies.
A bittersweet life is not by Bong Joon-Ho but by lesser known Kim Jee-woon ( he didn't make chaser or wailing other, but havent seen them). But it's a fantastic movie, a bittersweet life, so Cerval needs to see it.

But for Parasite director I reccomend The Host, Mother and especially Memories of murder.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
A bittersweet life is not by Bong Joon-Ho but by lesser known Kim Jee-woon ( he didn't make chaser or wailing other, but havent seen them). But it's a fantastic movie, a bittersweet life, so Cerval needs to see it.

But for Parasite director I reccomend The Host, Mother and especially Memories of murder.
I think you misread my post I was saying they are other great Korean movies not that they were by the same director :D

But yea the other movies you mentioned were great to. How did you interpret the ensign to memories of a murder?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Ahh you right, thought you meant the director lol. I watch some korean movies in succession due to the director (my favourites are chan wook park and Kim ki duk), so I tend to assume other ppl do the same lol.

Regarding memories of murder, I don't remember all details because I havent seen it in over 10 years. Need to rewatch it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The Lighthouse - Holy crap was I surprised. It's like a creepy, crawling nightmare that wakes you up and makes you totally wonder. Not only that made me wonder but also how this movie appeared. I probably knew but I totally forgot, I was like... how the hell did this appear out of nowhere? Out of the US? Then I realized it's a Cannes movie and it made perfect sense. Having said that, the movie is not for everyone. He who loves artistic movies, Cannes movies and old style movies, he will love this one. At least I did. The cinematography was out of this world, black and white made it so mesmerizing, shots were so powerful and beautiful. Then I had another huge surprise. While I was watching my brother was passing by, saw me, and then asked "is Pattinson good in it" and I was like... what the fuck? I had no idea that was him. That acting was totally insane, holy crap, so great it was brilliant. Dafoe was probably even better! Those two totally killed it in this one, and yeah, Oscar worthy performance for both of them. It's a weird, fucked up and interesting movie. There are probably plenty of people who'd call it boring, and I don't care, I just want to see more of this stuff. I'm not familiar with Eggers but he fucking caught my attention.

Ran - I expected a lot more. Some of the moments were absolutely magnificent but I wanted more from Kurosawa. It was good but nothing special in my books.

Goodfellas - I'm definitely not a Scorsese fan. He does make good movies but I don't see the hype behind them, being labeled as one of the best movies ever, like this one. I did enjoy it and the cast was simply perfect. And it was good, I did enjoy it. But I won't wank over it. I've realized that mafia movies don't really impress me or at least majority didn't. I liked this one more than The Irishman. Scarface was pretty meh. The Godfather is the best one out there but even that one I wouldn't label as one of the greatest films ever, that's silly. Still, looking forward to seeing Scorsese work with DiCaprio in 2 new movies.

Mary and Max - Different approach, different animation (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I still appreciate the creativity), decent length and a nice story. I enjoyed it.

Judgment at Nuremberg - Can't get enough with the Nazis lul. After reading Maus it felt nice seeing this one. Despite majority of the movie being in the court, I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Interesting views and questions about the killings that were/are behind Germany and Hitler.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The Lighthouse - Holy crap was I surprised. It's like a creepy, crawling nightmare that wakes you up and makes you totally wonder. Not only that made me wonder but also how this movie appeared. I probably knew but I totally forgot, I was like... how the hell did this appear out of nowhere? Out of the US? Then I realized it's a Cannes movie and it made perfect sense. Having said that, the movie is not for everyone. He who loves artistic movies, Cannes movies and old style movies, he will love this one. At least I did. The cinematography was out of this world, black and white made it so mesmerizing, shots were so powerful and beautiful. Then I had another huge surprise. While I was watching my brother was passing by, saw me, and then asked "is Pattinson good in it" and I was like... what the fuck? I had no idea that was him. That acting was totally insane, holy crap, so great it was brilliant. Dafoe was probably even better! Those two totally killed it in this one, and yeah, Oscar worthy performance for both of them. It's a weird, fucked up and interesting movie. There are probably plenty of people who'd call it boring, and I don't care, I just want to see more of this stuff. I'm not familiar with Eggers but he fucking caught my attention.

Ran - I expected a lot more. Some of the moments were absolutely magnificent but I wanted more from Kurosawa. It was good but nothing special in my books.

Goodfellas - I'm definitely not a Scorsese fan. He does make good movies but I don't see the hype behind them, being labeled as one of the best movies ever, like this one. I did enjoy it and the cast was simply perfect. And it was good, I did enjoy it. But I won't wank over it. I've realized that mafia movies don't really impress me or at least majority didn't. I liked this one more than The Irishman. Scarface was pretty meh. The Godfather is the best one out there but even that one I wouldn't label as one of the greatest films ever, that's silly. Still, looking forward to seeing Scorsese work with DiCaprio in 2 new movies.

Mary and Max - Different approach, different animation (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I still appreciate the creativity), decent length and a nice story. I enjoyed it.

Judgment at Nuremberg - Can't get enough with the Nazis lul. After reading Maus it felt nice seeing this one. Despite majority of the movie being in the court, I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Interesting views and questions about the killings that were/are behind Germany and Hitler.
Dafoe's performance in the Lighthouse was one for the ages, Pattinson was great too

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I suppose you watched all of those, what are your thoughts?

Show us a Voller classic. You've been missing for so long that you should be able to list at least 50 of films.
I actually have watched all of those. :D

I always find your reviews interesting since I find your taste quite unpredictable at times. I wouldn't have guessed that Gone With the Wind would have been your favorite of those mentioned. I like them all, to various degrees. Idi i smotri and There Will Be Blood are probably my favorite of those mentioned while Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is the least noteworthy (but Guy Ritchie's best film), and I'm not too big a Some Like It Out fan either.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I actually have watched all of those. :D

I always find your reviews interesting since I find your taste quite unpredictable at times. I wouldn't have guessed that Gone With the Wind would have been your favorite of those mentioned. I like them all, to various degrees. Idi i smotri and There Will Be Blood are probably my favorite of those mentioned while Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is the least noteworthy (but Guy Ritchie's best film), and I'm not too big a Some Like It Out fan either.
I don't mention them in the order that I like the most. I usually list them by the order of watching them day by day.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I don't mention them in the order that I like the most. I usually list them by the order of watching them day by day.
I get that, but since you called it 'literally perfect', I just assumed it was your favorite. Nothing wrong with that though, it really is amazing. I also think it gets too bad a rep nowadays because of how it portrayed African Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, since the decade is basically over, I'm curious what your favorite films of the decade are.

My 10 favorite films of the 2010s:
  1. The Tree of Life
  2. The Social Network
  3. The Salt of the Earth
  4. The Handmaiden
  5. Force Majeure
  6. Whiplash
  7. Submarino
  8. The Great Beauty
  9. Birds of Passage
  10. La La Land

@Dostoevsky @Post Ironic @Other people

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I do think it's a perfect movie. Blacks or not, one should always take the period that it was filmed. Kinda scary how revolutionary that movie was, though. I think I'm gonna watch it every a couple of years, I really loved the atmosphere.

Wow... La La Land made into your list? I never watched. I hate musicals. TBH I'll have to think about that one but... I'll need to track down movies that came out from that period.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This is way too hard. I'll try but I think I'll miss like 20 at least. My list of 10:

Dunkirk
Jagten
Whiplash
The Tree of Life
Inception
Burning
Infinity War
Kimi no na wa.
Mandariinid
Capernaum

Worth of mention: Leave no Trace, Green Book, The Salt of the Earth, Winter Sleep, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Social Network.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Wow... La La Land made into your list? I never watched. I hate musicals. TBH I'll have to think about that one but... I'll need to track down movies that came out from that period.
Yeah, I like it a lot, but if you don't like musicals in general, it might not be your thing. :D

This is way too hard. I'll try but I think I'll miss like 20 at least. My list of 10:

Dunkirk
Jagten
Whiplash
The Tree of Life
Inception
Burning
Infinity War
Kimi no na wa.
Mandariinid
Capernaum

Worth of mention: Leave no Trace, Green Book, The Salt of the Earth, Winter Sleep, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Social Network.
Really solid list. Burning and Your Name would be on my honorable mention list as well. :)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I enjoyed Burning more than Parasite tbh but it seems the latter got the attention due to west-like narrative.
I enjoyed both a lot. I think Parasite is so popular because it works on both levels: It's pure entertainment, but there are also some deeper levels to dig into. Burning is great mainly because of the atmosphere it creates. It did a great job of capturing Murakami's writing.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I enjoyed both a lot. I think Parasite is so popular because it works on both levels: It's pure entertainment, but there are also some deeper levels to dig into. Burning is great mainly because of the atmosphere it creates. It did a great job of capturing Murakami's writing.
You hyped about some future movie?

I'm going to the cinema to watch 1917 in 11 days.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
You hyped about some future movie?

I'm going to the cinema to watch 1917 in 11 days.
A Hidden Life, 1917, The Lighthouse, A Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Uncut Gems and The Painted Bird are the main ones that I'm excited to see in the coming few months. Will hopefully get to see 1917 this week already. :)

I just watched Knives Out the other day. I really enjoyed that one. Very old-fashioned, but very well made.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
A Hidden Life, 1917, The Lighthouse, A Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Uncut Gems and The Painted Bird are the main ones that I'm excited to see in the coming few months. Will hopefully get to see 1917 this week already. :)

I just watched Knives Out the other day. I really enjoyed that one. Very old-fashioned, but very well made.
Oh yeah. The Lighthouse deserves to be on the list of those top 10. Crazy movie.

I watched Knives Out last night. It was very entertaining. Unique way to show the detective stuff. I did NOT like Daniel Craig, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 123)