Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (123 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I'll check that link tomorrow but there are some unknown names. Wanna know more about them! :D

Bresson is brilliant. My fav? Au hasard Balthazar I'd say. Although both Mouchette and Journal d'uncure de campagne are also amazing.
That's what I thought. :D You've become super knowledgeable when it comes to film over the last couple of years though. :)

Speaking of Schrader and Diary of a Country Priest, have you seen First Reformed yet? I personally haven't, but I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like quite a comeback for him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
The cinematography is gorgeous in that film. The film itself is interesting, and parts of it are done quite well, but it's a little scatterbrained and random as an adaptation of Kivirähk's book.
Yes, yes, I agree. It's not a great film, but it seemed very interesting to me as a whole. The photography and black humor is the best.
It's so bizarre and has some great characters.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
Hey, guys! According to your tastes, what are the films with the best photography? Any director of photography that you like a lot?
Can't even remember one. :D :shifty:

But my favs movies are Rules of Attraction, Requiem for a Dream, Trainspotting, Traffic etc. I guess you can see what kind of movies I like?

--

I like movies with drugs I see. :D Probably that's why I'm so fond of 'em. :shifty: @Fr3sh

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Jesse James is the best looking movie I've seen and no 1927 bulgarian underground noir film is going to change that
Do you mean the 2007 film? If it is that, can I ask you for marriage? :touched: It's one of my favorite movies of all time, and the photography and soundtrack are wonderful.

That'd be Terrence Malick for me. I think he's incredible.
Can't even remember one. :D:shifty:

But my favs movies are Rules of Attraction, Requiem for a Dream, Trainspotting, Traffic etc. I guess you can see what kind of movies I like?

--

I like movies with drugs I see. :D Probably that's why I'm so fond of 'em. :shifty: @Fr3sh
I don't know if you are talking about your favorite films/directors in general or the photography of the movies :lol:
Anyway, I also like Malick and drugs movies.
@Lapa you have to watch The Panic in Needle Park.

archive picture of @Lapa surfaced
cc4bdf8e03.jpg
That boy looks like young Matthew Modine
shlick-gif-gif.gif

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That'd be Terrence Malick for me. I think he's incredible.
Dude. Watch Black Narcissus. The cinematography is incredible.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, guys! According to your tastes, what are the films with the best photography? Any director of photography that you like a lot?
Jack Cardiff. (Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, War and Peace)
Roger Deakins. (Assassination of Jesse James, Bladerunner 2049, Barton Fink, O Brother Where Art Thou)
Vadim Yusov (Solaris, Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev)
Emmanuel Lubezki. (The New World, Tree of Life, The Revenant, Birdman)
Christopher Doyle. (In The Mood for Love, Hero, 2046, The Limits of Control)
Sven Nykvist. (The Sacrifice, Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

Last edited:

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
I agree. Those you name are amazing.

I also add Gerry Fisher (my fav), Douglas Slocombe, Jan Curík, Geoffrey Unsworth, Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Desmond Dickinson and Stanley Cortez.

The photography of Don Giovanni is incredible. Each plane is a painting.
And the black and white of The Servant is but wonderful (well, that film is wonderful in general), I imagine it must be very difficult to pose the perfect lighting for a film without colors, and here every light and shadow is a protagonist more.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Don Giovanni is such a beautiful film.

How could I forgot Jan Curik (Valerie and Her Week of Wonders :heart: and the White Dove) and Sayombhu Mukdeeprom (Call Me By Your Name :heart: and Uncle Boonmee).

So many great cinematographers for just a film or two.

Beda Batka for Marketa Lazarova and Zlate Kapradi.

Mieczyslaw Jahoda for The Saragossa Manuscript.

Gabor Medvigy for Satantango and Werckmeister Harmonies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 119)