Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (84 Viewers)

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Dune 100% should've been 3 movies instead of 2.
Dune 2 is really a masterpiece but i don't know why i feel they somehow replicated the same scenario of the old dune(1984) and some scenes copied from 'Silence'. I hope they don't ruin the franchise with adding repetitive story.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
The holdovers was boring. The fact this was a comedy, nominated for many Oscars and was one of the most highly rated movies of the year shows how bad Hollywood is right now.

Edit: it's not a bad movie. It's good but 10+ years ago this would of been seen as very average. Same can be said for so many of the 'big' movies from the last couple of years.
2019 was the last great year for movies. It’s all been downhill since then.

Jun 7, 2003
Fantastic underrated movie. Buts it like 25 years old movie. You have a retro cinema showings? I'm jealous of that. Ours are only new movies.
Yes, from 1999. Couldn't miss it, saw it back then on VHS at home. Now in the cinema which is specialized on retro stuff. Depends on the country man but in a lot of cities where i traveled there are cinemas like that.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Anyone seen Late Night with the Devil?
No but looks great. Will watch it as soon as I can.

Watching Dune 2 and it's good but... Timothée Chalamet Is not inspiring me at all. Neither is Zendaya. Both miscast imo, awful.

Edit: just finished it. Hated the last hour. Turned into a pretencious wankfest that ended by jizzing all over itself for the last 30mins.

Spectacle over substance and poor editing. Despite being almost 3 hours long it still felt really rushed.

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Napoleon by Ridley Scott.

God fucking awful biopic. Insanely inaccurate and disjointed. It felt like satire, honestly felt like a movie made by someone who have a personal grudge against Napoleon. Depicted him as a dull dimwitted idiot and skipped through most of the key moments.

Usually nationalities of a directors shouldn't matter, but a brit making this movie was a bad idea. Especially one that's an average storyteller, that relies more on visuals/cinematography, style over substance. Was incoherent from start to finish. Just visualisation of Wikipedia entries.

A movie is too short to cover 25 years too, hopefully the long HBO miniseries Spielberg and the kubrick family are planning will do it more justice.

Or I will just rewatch the old war and peace epic movie(s) from the 60s, saw it as a child. It spent 8 hours of Napoleonic wars and covered strictly just the Russian campaign at that.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit, just checked the trailer. Never heard of it. But it looks like a must see based on that trailer.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023
I've seen it this weekend.
Very, very enjoyable and interesting flick. Although it suffers from the same thing that most horror movies suffer these days: it's not scary.
Feels more like a full feature "Twilight Zone" episode which, to be honest, is a good thing.

I felt it could've been more subtle at times as it had moments where it seemed to going into campy "Tales From The Crypt" territory but the overall atmosphere was notch.
One of the guests was based on Randi which was super evident and it was a nice little touch.

Loved the ending - without spoiling anything it was very much in line with the horrors of 70s.

Solid 4/6, had ton of fun watching this one.
9b07b8fe-1928-4846-adad-c6b50325e676.jpeg

Mar 30, 2003
Did anybody else think Dune 2 was dogshit? First one maybe the best sci fi movie I'd ever seen. Second a huge letdown, but everybody else seemed to love it. I thought the acting, dialogue and pacing was awful
I wanted to love it and it had every reason to be a great movie but as you said the acting, dialogue, pacing and especially the editing in my opinion were awful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 78)