Most under appreciated all-time Juve 11 (8 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I had a chat with a friend on the most underrated players over a drink yesterday. Anyway our conculsion was that compared to the era when Rio gets dubbed as "world-class" for a couple nights of mind-blowing performances and 360 days of sheer mediocrity, 90s were a golden time in terms of producing perhaps not great but excellent players who never got that attention and fame of the modern day game. As an quick illustration, I am pretty sure not many of the younger generation, by which I am refering to teenagers, would have heard a player called Lorenzo Minotti. All I will say is that, without a certain man named Franco Baresi, and career threatening injury, Minotti could have gone down as one of the most outstanding player of his generation. He was a dying breed of sweepers with guilde and reading of the game, which reminded me of video tapes of Gaetano Scirea. Needless to say that, I believe Minotti in his prime were far better player than Rio is and ever will be, however short that prime may have been.

Forget about the overhyped today's players, and forgotten yesterday greats who we only get to see couple of footage of memorable display. Please go ahead and name Juve first 11 that you felt were never quite got the general recognition around the world and yet were widely appreciated at Juve.

My choice would be:
Peruzzi - Ferrara, Kohler, Iluliano, Pessetto - Conte, Tach, Moller, Di Livio - Boksic (Maybe a short term but he was terrific), Padavano (Never a favorite but a real work horse)

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 28, 2002
i wouldnt say peruzzi, ferrara, conte and di livio are under appreciated. certainly not by current generation. what about cuccureddu then? how many people have even heard of him?

OP
Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Fliakis said:
    i wouldnt say peruzzi, ferrara, conte and di livio are under appreciated. certainly not by current generation. what about cuccureddu then? how many people have even heard of him?
    I agree with Cucureddu - His CV looks unbelivably good and yet he is recognized by very few. Furino and Causio are another old generation of stars not quite appreciated by the current generation. I mean how many players get to play final few minutes of WC final because the coach felt he was so indebted to a one man? Unfortunately, I havent seen them playing live, and for Causio only a few video footage of 78 WC - so I decided to leave him out.

If anyone has seen them play, please feel forward to right some scouting report on these legends - I think many would be interested in them.

As for Peruzzi, Ferrara, Di Livio, and Conte - I had to right them not becuase they are not recognized but the extent to which their talent wasnt quite appreciated by the foreign media. Especially, Peruzzi and Ferrara - I could have rationally argued the case for both of them being the best in their respective position. And yet apart from knolwedgable fans, I don't think they reputation holds with the mass people. Likes of Ferdinand, Beckham, Nakata, post-injury Ronaldo, Casillas are all recognizable for even a lay men with far more fortune and fame even if one must question whether they are much better player than the ones I have mentioned. With regards to Di Livio and Conte - I admit I might be wrong. These are type of players for some they might be underappreciated and to other overrated just like F.Lampard or S.Perrotta.

GoldenH

Jul 28, 2006
    id like to add Zalayeta, but i'm not sure he is the right choice here as he never really has had a regular spot in the first team,
    I totally agree that specially Maresca, Tacchi, Tudor are definetly the least appreciated, considering overal attention, as i believe us fans have always appreciated these guys, or atleast i hope so.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    Jun-hide said:
    I agree with Cucureddu - His CV looks unbelivably good and yet he is recognized by very few. Furino and Causio are another old generation of stars not quite appreciated by the current generation. I mean how many players get to play final few minutes of WC final because the coach felt he was so indebted to a one man? Unfortunately, I havent seen them playing live, and for Causio only a few video footage of 78 WC - so I decided to leave him out.

If anyone has seen them play, please feel forward to right some scouting report on these legends - I think many would be interested in them.

As for Peruzzi, Ferrara, Di Livio, and Conte - I had to right them not becuase they are not recognized but the extent to which their talent wasnt quite appreciated by the foreign media. Especially, Peruzzi and Ferrara - I could have rationally argued the case for both of them being the best in their respective position. And yet apart from knolwedgable fans, I don't think they reputation holds with the mass people. Likes of Ferdinand, Beckham, Nakata, post-injury Ronaldo, Casillas are all recognizable for even a lay men with far more fortune and fame even if one must question whether they are much better player than the ones I have mentioned. With regards to Di Livio and Conte - I admit I might be wrong. These are type of players for some they might be underappreciated and to other overrated just like F.Lampard or S.Perrotta.
    Man please start posting shorter texts!:disagree:

You re killing us!:D

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    tacchi for sure...he should have been the #1 DM for the azzurri as well...i remember when he and davids used to control the central midfield...NO1 was going to get past those two

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    AbuGadanzieri said:
    Maresca :(

also we have fonseca and conte and Tudor
    Fonseca?!:lol:

What did he ever do for us?

He played 40 games for Juventus and scored 10 goals beteen 1997-2000.

That is hardly enough to even remember him.

I think you have mistaken him with someone.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Good lineup, Jun-hide. I always felt that Peruzzi and Ferrara never quite got the recognition they deserved. For instance, it always bothered me that Pagliuca was the Azzurri first choice (and he recently wrote himself into the history books for a record number of Serie A appearances) at a time when Peruzzi was just as good at least (96-98). Ferrara was always in the shadow of Baresi and Maldini.

Another player I would include is... Deschamps. Despite winning the WC as captain (!!) I don't think many people really appreciated him that much. Back when he was still with us, I felt that he was clearly better than say Conte, who after Didier's sale went on to relative stardom in our team.

I also very much agree with Padovano, he didn't get to play much, but he was important in the 96 CL campaign. Tacchinardi, on the other hand, may just have gotten more reognition than he really deserved. I'm pleased that he's doing well at Villarreal, but seeing him picked for the Azzurri never convinced me.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    AbuGadanzieri said:
    Maresca :(

also we have fonseca and conte and Tudor
    Peruzzi? No1 knows him despite a lot of good stuff which he has shown.

Conte yes, but I wouldn't put Tudor down there

Yes Tudor has proven himself to be a good defender, but his negative point is that he is always injured when you need him. Talented wise is good, but injury wise makes him not going to be missed much. I would rather put Montero at the later stages, where he is always mocked at for getting sent off. You need to imagine the time when he helped Juventus a lot when he is on form.

Pessotto - When I mention Pessotto, has any1 even heard of him?

Tacchinardi should be in there as well. How come no1 mentions him when he plays for Juve?

Other underrated players out there include Perrotta and Iniesta.

OP
    Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    mark83 said:
    Man please start posting shorter texts!:disagree:

You re killing us!:D
    Here is one for you.:p

Well spending 6 or 7 years of writing reports pretty much means I have unbelivable speed of typing so the length of text isnt pretty much concern to me.:D . Even if I have to say, the rest of PC skills is virtually non-existent (Except for downloading AVs.;) )

Anyway I forgot to say Maresca is defintely a top pick. Fantastic player never got the chance. I am not so sure about Tudor though. I would also add Baggio, as one stupid young Arsenal fan (They are beginning to annoy me) told me that Bergkamp was a better player. And Baggio is nothing compared to Zizou.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    Omair said:
    I agree maresca ...
    how about toto scilacci i didn't read about him even once in this forum ...
    He doesnt deserve to mention him, neither does Fonseca.

Common people I am sure you can remember someone better.

Hard years

After the end of the 1990 World Cup, Schillaci played two more years for Juventus, before joining Inter Milan. Schillaci did not leave a great record for the Inter fans, as well as for the Juventus ones, mainly because of physical troubles which he suffered after the 1990 campaign. In 1994 he then joined Japanese club Jubilo Iwata, becoming the first Italian player to play in the J. League.

Source: Wikipedia.org

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    ZhiXin said:
    Peruzzi? No1 knows him despite a lot of good stuff which he has shown.

Conte yes, but I wouldn't put Tudor down there

Yes Tudor has proven himself to be a good defender, but his negative point is that he is always injured when you need him. Talented wise is good, but injury wise makes him not going to be missed much. I would rather put Montero at the later stages, where he is always mocked at for getting sent off. You need to imagine the time when he helped Juventus a lot when he is on form.

Pessotto - When I mention Pessotto, has any1 even heard of him?

Tacchinardi should be in there as well. How come no1 mentions him when he plays for Juve?

Other underrated players out there include Perrotta and Iniesta.
    I agree for Peruzzi and Deschamps but Deschamps still has time to be appreciated because he is our Coach now and he is still young. There is time for him.:agree:

Tacchinardi OK, Tudor :disagree: , Pessotto: disagree:

Pessotto never had any football skills that could impress me.

In my opinion he was always overrated!

OP
    Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    mark83 said:
    He doesnt deserve to mention him, neither does Fonseca.

Common people I am sure you can remember someone better.

Hard years

After the end of the 1990 World Cup, Schillaci played two more years for Juventus, before joining Inter Milan. Schillaci did not leave a great record for the Inter fans, as well as for the Juventus ones, mainly because of physical troubles which he suffered after the 1990 campaign. In 1994 he then joined Japanese club Jubilo Iwata, becoming the first Italian player to play in the J. League.

Source: Wikipedia.org
    I remember seeing Toto Schillaci as a young teenager. Personally I found him nothing special to be honest. But then again that was a golden era for foreigners plying their trade in Japan. Leo, Lineaker, Dragan, Dunga, Zinho et al made their living even if most of them were at the end of their illustrious career. Even Amoroso played in a J-League for a bit even if his stint was largely unsuccessful. My fav. has to be Dragan - He was unbelivable technician and man he had a character! Spekaing of underappreciated players, I think he will top my list!

Back to Schillaci, I regard him as a one year wonder who played out of his mind in the 90WC thanks to Vialli seriously f*cking up big time. A modern day equivalent would be Klose IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)