most handsome juve player (5 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

And the funny part was that he was trying to insult the Dutch :D
Yesterday I arrived in Schiphol coming from Naples. As I put my jacket on in the airplane, a dutch couple behind me was saying I'd be suffering from the cold in Holland. I wanted to say something in dutch, but I was actually quite flattered :).

The thing is, you always know when someone is dutch. It's so obvious. And that's hardly a good thing. I know Dutch generally look down upon Belgians, but really.. Belgians just seem more educated and stylish IMO.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
Yesterday I arrived in Schiphol coming from Naples. As I put my jacket on in the airplane, a dutch couple behind me was saying I'd be suffering from the cold in Holland. I wanted to say something in dutch, but I was actually quite flattered :).
You were in Naples? :touched:

The thing is, you always know when someone is dutch. It's so obvious. And that's hardly a good thing.
How do you mean exactly?

I know Dutch generally look down upon Belgians, but really.. Belgians just seem more educated and stylish IMO.
Actually that's not true at all. I hear this so often and everytime it stuns me why the Belgians would think that! Yes, we are an arrogant people, that's part of our nature. But that doesn't mean we think less of anyone else. An interesting research concerning our nationality was conducted just a couple of weeks ago and showed that a massive 87% of Dutch people would choose to have the Belgian nationality if they were forced to give up their Dutch passport.

Where does this BELGIAN IDEA of us hating you come from????????

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Actually that's not true at all. I hear this so often and everytime it stuns me why the Belgians would think that! Yes, we are an arrogant people, that's part of our nature. But that doesn't mean we think less of anyone else. An interesting research concerning our nationality was conducted just a couple of weeks ago and showed that a massive 87% of Dutch people would choose to have the Belgian nationality if they were forced to give up their Dutch passport.

Where does this BELGIAN IDEA of us hating you come from????????
I guess there would be several reasons. But it's not that you hate us, it's more that you feel the need to ridicule us.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I think we sting you as much as you sting us. I have some Belgian friends (Flemish, that is) and I've told me some Dutch-people-jokes that weren't too soft at all.

Made our Belgian-jokes sound like child's play :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think we sting you as much as you sting us. I have some Belgian friends (Flemish, that is) and I've told me some Dutch-people-jokes that weren't too soft at all.

Made our Belgian-jokes sound like child's play :D
That's probably true.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Most dutch people are freakishly big, have broad hips, blond and rather pale.
You are stereotyping here.

I've heard lots of Belgian jokes made by Frenchies, these were harsh also.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

You were in Naples? :touched:
I was only in Naples for the afternoon. I was on the way back from Puglia and Calabria. I've been there quite a few times though.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I love Naples. I really do. Lived there for 6 months (well close to Naples)

Most dutch people are freakishly big, have broad hips, blond and rather pale.
Careful now - I don't actually know anyone who fits that description :redface:

But yeah, I know that's the stereotype. TBH - I can usually recognise Dutch people when I'm abroad but that's more because of their behaviour rather than how they look. Same goes for the Germans.

Funny thing; you probably know that most Dutch people go on holiday in France with caravans etc. Did you know that on the way back; most of them sigh of relief when they pass Brussels? It's a sentiment of being in a friendly nation where a lot of people speak the same language that makes us like Belgium.

And good friends can take some jokes of each other ;)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

You are stereotyping here.

I've heard lots of Belgian jokes made by Frenchies, these were harsh also.
No. It's not stereotyping. They really do look like that. Even in Naples yesterday I could easily pick out the Dutch.

Bah, everyone laughs with Belgians.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

No. It's not stereotyping. They really do look like that. Even in Naples yesterday I could easily pick out the Dutch.

Bah, everyone laughs with Belgians.
Is Bah, the Belgian version of Gah? :dielaugh:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I love Naples. I really do. Lived there for 6 months (well close to Naples)

Careful now - I don't actually know anyone who fits that description :redface:

But yeah, I know that's the stereotype. TBH - I can usually recognise Dutch people when I'm abroad but that's more because of their behaviour rather than how they look. Same goes for the Germans.

Funny thing; you probably know that most Dutch people go on holiday in France with caravans etc. Did you know that on the way back; most of them sigh of relief when they pass Brussels? It's a sentiment of being in a friendly nation where a lot of people speak the same language that makes us like Belgium.

And good friends can take some jokes of each other ;)

Oh, but we can take those jokes. And we don't look down on Dutch people at all, but we do think their behaviour can be pretty wrong. Especially when they're abroad. A bit like Germans :).

I'm not saying everyone looks like that. Not everyone has everything I summed up there. But most of you have at least one of those characteristics.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh, but we can take those jokes. And we don't look down on Dutch people at all, but we do think their behaviour can be pretty wrong. Especially when they're abroad. A bit like Germans :).
Yes we tend to be quite loud and present... Especially the stereotypes.

I'm not saying everyone looks like that. Not everyone has everything I summed up there. But most of you have at least one of those characteristics.
The people you've described are usually from the North-East. The provinces of Groningen, Friesland, Drenthe, Flevoland, Overijssel. I don't really like them myself actually... I've travelled in that region only once but I didn't really like the protestant cultures there (I'm from the South myself).

The people in the South (Zeeland, Brabant, Limburg) are actually VERY much like the Belgians (they're Catholics etc) whereas the people from the West (Holland & Utrecht) tend to be HIGHLY multicultural.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Yes we tend to be quite loud and present... Especially the stereotypes.
Exactly :). And most of them don't bother trying to speak the local language in a proper manner either. I wonder whether they're even aware of the fact there are restaurants in Italy.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Mi dispiace. Forse ti senti un po' meglio riguardando gli Olandesi quando ti dico che io parlo Italiano? ;) Ma non è che i Belgi, o i Tedeschi e naturalmente :)D) i Francesi parlano Italiano o un'altra lingua. Almeno gli Olandesi (ed i Belgi) parlano l'Inglese.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Mi dispiace. Forse ti senti un po' meglio riguardando gli Olandesi quando ti dico che io parlo Italiano? ;) Ma non è che i Belgi, o i Tedeschi e naturalmente :)D) i Francesi parlano Italiano o un'altra lingua. Almeno gli Olandesi (ed i Belgi) parlano l'Inglese.
Well, I can understand everything you said, and I can make myself clear in Italian. I doubt there are many Dutch people who can do so. Belgians do speak dutch, french and german though. That's better than most Dutch do.

EDIT: I don't know what "Almeno" means though. I guess it's something like "at least"?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
That's exactly right. What I'm saying is that the Dutch could indeed put in a better effort to speak other languages but there's A LOT of nationalities out there who are worse imho

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That's exactly right. What I'm saying is that the Dutch could indeed put in a better effort to speak other languages but there's A LOT of nationalities out there who are worse imho
That could be true. And perhaps we Belgians are a bit above normal in that area, since we have to learn those languages thanks to our cultural diversity.

ADP Timers

Feb 4, 2004
Del Piero, followed closely be Zambrotta, then Cannavaro. Top 3...hell there all pretty good looking guys if you think about it...Ill end my gayish rant now...

Zambrotta looks the best in that Il Mio Canto Libero video though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)