Montero will leave this summer (1 Viewer)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Montero eyes Spanish switch
by Peter O'Rourke - created on 17 May 2005

Paolo Montero expects to leave Juventus in the summer and has set his sights on a move to Spain.

The tough-tackling defender is coming to the end of his contract and he has not been offered a new one as yet.

Montero has fallen down the pecking order at Juve this season following the arrival of Fabio Cannavaro last summer.

The former Atalanta ace has only figured in a handful of games and he is now resigned to leaving Turin.

"I think my cycle in Italy has finished," said Montero.

"As I haven't played this year, I don't feel comfortable.

"I haven't had problems with the coach, the players have earned their positions and have won them playing by the rules.

"Hopefully, I will leave with another championship although, by my way of thinking, I wouldn't say that I'm a champion because I haven't played much."

The 33-year-old admitted he would be interested in a move to Spain before going back to Uruguay to play for Penarol.

"In Spanish football, I've always liked the way they play and hopefully it can come true," added Montero.

"I feel good for the moment and I consider that I can play for another couple of years here (in Europe). My dream, as I've always said, is to play for Penarol, but not yet."

Ciao Paolo, good luck!

After Ciro, now Paolo. Time to rejuvenate the defense.

Masiello and Coda?

Hope we bring back Igor even if we signed Kovac. They know each other very well so it will help Juve definitely.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jul 28, 2002
i would be happy with that as long as coda and maisello got the chance to play....

isnt coda staying with empoli?

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
    i would be happy with that as long as coda and maisello got the chance to play....

isnt coda staying with empoli?
    Yeah, he could stay with them for another year.

OUT: Legrottaglie, Ferrara, Montero.

IN: Tudor, Masiello, Kovac.

with Thuram and Cannavaro playing 99% of the games though. :D

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    Thats what i was thinking. Is it Capello and Moggis style to have a very young person like that in the squad as a backup CB to the likes of Cannavaro and Thuram?

OP

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    you think? He'll play Coppa Italia and the last 2-3 games when the 29th scudetto is won. ;)

Tudor and Kovac will do the job if they're called to jump in.

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
    i know montero gets some criticism on here but his partnership with ciro in their ealier years was great. and his expression of his innocent face when he does a foul and he knows hes guilty is magic.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    Paolo Montero recognises his career with Juventus is over and wants to play in Spain before finishing in his homeland with Penarol. Montero, who joined Juventus from Atalanta in 1996, has made only a handful of appearances in his ninth season with the club and his contract ends in June.

"I think my cycle in Italy has finished," the red card-prone central defender told Uruguayan media on Tuesday.

"As I haven't played this year, I don't feel comfortable. I haven't had problems with the coach, the players have earned their positions and have won them playing by the rules.

"Hopefully, I will leave with another championship although, by my way of thinking, I wouldn't say that I'm a champion because I haven't played much."

Juventus are five points clear of AC Milan with two games remaining in Serie A.

Asked where he would like to play next, Montero, 33, replied: "In Spanish football. I've always liked the way they play and hopefully it can come true.

"I feel good for the moment and I consider that I can play for another couple of years here (in Europe). My dream, as I've always said, is to play for Penarol, but not yet."

IMPROVED GREATLY

Montero, who began his career with Penarol and has won 56 caps, made a Uruguay comeback at the Copa America last July, two years after announcing his international retirement.

Uruguay have improved greatly since his return and, after a disastrous run of results last year, have climbed to fifth in the South American World Cup qualifying group.

Their next two games are away to Venezuela and Peru in June.

"If we play like we did against Chile and Brazil, we will get the points we need although the luck factor is fundamental," said Montero, referring to their 1-1 draws in both matches.

"If we don't play well, it doesn't really bother me. The important thing is the points."

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
    Aug 13, 2004
    Too sorry about him.He is not champion if we won the scudetto ,he remains champion for me wherever he goes.He made so many felicity for us over those years,that I can't and should not forget that!
    Thanx Paolo!

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
    Aug 13, 2004
    I'm not for that Kovac solution.I'm rather for some good proven Italian defender,they are the best.
    But everything that is best also is expensive.
    Also I'm happy for Masiello,young,and Italian!

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
    Aug 13, 2004
    If we win the game against Livorno we teoreticaly take over the tittle,so maybe in last game of the season against Cagliari we have a chance to watch full game participation by Masiello.

Wow ,next season we will wear Italian flag.....great feelin'. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)