Moggi: Genious or just Lucky? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
nedved thuram and buffon were all bought for inflated prices. I reckon we could have got them cheaper, same for marco
Yeah but then we won somin too..

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Inter got Canna as a bargain. Milan got Nesta cheap. Inter failed, Milan paid full price for the rest of their players. If you want to point to clubs that have only bought cheap and succeeded lately, go ahead. And don't say Parma, there's a difference between taking 5th place and winning.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I'm not saying we should not spend, what I'm saying is that we don't spend wisely. Nesta for about 10-15 million is clever dealing. Buffon for 32 is not. Valencia paid about 18 million for Aimar, that was clever dealing. We paid 25 for Nedved, who, despite his brilliance this year, only has a year or two left. Aimar will play on for 10.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
And Buffon will play on for 10 as well.

Nevertheless, as I said we won and most others did not, despite "spending wisely" (which I don't even think applies to Milan and Inter).

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Pirlo, Seedorf and Nesta were all good, inexpensive purchases. Rivaldo was a flop, but he was free in any case. Plus they did win, the Cl, remember ;)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
And before that they spent big on Rui Costa, Pippo, Redondo etc

Are you saying you find Milan's transfer policy more appealing than ours?

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
buying world class players cheaply? yes I'd say I do prefer that aspect of their transfer policy, though I have doubts as to whether they place enough emphasis on young players (ie miccoli blasi maresca brighi....) compared to us.

IMO it needs a balance between the two. At the moment we are keeping the same squad each year, making one addition or two at most, none that make a significant impact on the first team and none that are creative! we rarely address our problem areas, instead offering the oldies new contracts every year in order to put off purchasing a quality young centre half or avoid risking some of the young midfielders

OP
Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    Juve always end up with a + balance, so therefore the profits outweigh the losses. That means that all the players we buy, end up being a good investment cos they bring home cups and therefore money. If we buy and don't win, then yes we are overspending and wasting money, but as long as we continue like this we are doing a good job.

In 9 years under the triad, never did we go in the red unlike the Boniperti era. Kudos to those 3 ;)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well I'll put it like this. It's working out for us. This season we repeated our greatest ever achievement. Everything is not perfect but I do not object to Thuram, Nedved, above all Buffon.

I think having sealed our 2nd scudetto in two years, last year's mercato is a closed subject. Sure we don't always get what we want but it's always like that. Now, looking ahead I can well understand you are concerned..

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Juve always end up with a + balance, so therefore the profits outweigh the losses. That means that all the players we buy, end up being a good investment cos they bring home cups and therefore money. If we buy and don't win, then yes we are overspending and wasting money, but as long as we continue like this we are doing a good job.
    if we end up with a + balance every year then surely we are in a stronger position to strengthen the squad. I'm not asking for wild expenditure, just clever buys, quality players for lower prices. We can't go on not buying anyone every year, or we just won't ever win the CL, especially as most of our team is old they aren't going to improve

OP
    Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    Camoranesi is a good example of a quality player for a low price. Same as Miccoli and Blasi. Remember we got both for cheap prices, and if we had to buy them now, just Miccoli would at least cost 10m Euros.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    quality players for low price I was thinking more about the likes of Nesta, Seedorf, Pirlo, Cannavaro etc. You're right about Miccoli though, the others like blasi maresca brighi etc I am not so sure about.

Resgol

Dec 27, 2002
    I m interested in psycological abilities that Moggi told about. Maybe the point is to keep the winning mental of the juve players...we seen a lot of players who have high determination(davids,montero,chimenti and zammbrotta), profesionalism(del piero, thuram,Ferrara) that reflect on this squad and thats make us different than other team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)