MLB Thread (5 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
2021 iirc

Indeed

and he's a really good dude. perfect figure to represent the game imo
And therein lies the biggest fault with MLB. The inability to promote its stars. Any sport where you don't have to wear a helmet should be a piece of cake to market. However, I wonder how many people outside of the baseball world even know who Mike Trout is. The fact that Mookie Betts, who is probably 1A in the entire league, gets NO exposure at all, especially considering that he is an African American, is disgraceful.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
It's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Yes, MLB can do better in promoting star players like other leagues do. But there are a lot of factors at play when you consider who you are marketing to.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Yes, MLB can do better in promoting star players like other leagues do. But there are a lot of factors at play when you consider who you are marketing to.

It should be marketed to those who will never be 6'7" with a 40 inch vertical, or can run a 40 in 4.25 seconds. It should be marketed as a sport where it doesn't matter how big or fast you are, but by how you play.

Honestly, Trout and Betts are the perfect players to market that, seeing as how they are so diametrically different to one another in stature. If you are referring to marketing to the black community, two of the single most important black athletes in the history of sports happen to be baseball players. Jackie Robinson and Curt Flood.

One paved the way for black athletes to play major sports, and the other opened the door to make sure said athletes get the money they deserve.

Again, I really think that MLB has dropped the ball on this.

2 of the single greatest athletes that I have ever seen in my life, Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders, absolutely loved the game. Can you get more iconic than that ?

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
R.I.P to the great Ichiro

>3K hits despite starting his MLB career at the age 27. What an incredible player and pleasure to have seen him play.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
R.I.P to the great Ichiro

>3K hits despite starting his MLB career at the age 27. What an incredible player and pleasure to have seen him play.
I agree, and what a way to retire. Playing in Japan, for the Mariners. That is fucking awesome. 1st ballot HOF, no questions asked.

- - - Updated - - -

If my son ever wanted to play baseball, I would want him to have the class and dignity of Ichiro.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
The asset value structure in baseball is different from other major sports leagues. Baseball is the only major sport (in the U.S.) that cultivates talent via homegrown sub-systems. So to liken it to a financial instrument, it's tough to assign a value to an unpredictable asset/instrument since you only know the base value, not actual future value.

The DH thing will be discussed in the next round of rules review and PA negotiations. I don't have an opinion on the matter tbh.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
DH should be on both leagues. I don't want my pitcher swing at the plate like a little girl. It's an easy out. Don't know a lot that can swing a bat like a real batter. Screw east outs, screw bunts from pitchers. Gimme a fat guy who can't run but can't hit one out of the park. #morefunbaseball

Picks should be traded. If the Yanks want my best player because I can't afford him then I'll ask for their top prospects and picks so I can find new ones. #possiblymoretrades #morefunbaseball

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I like the DH by committee. Rest your stars but keep them active at the plate.

Mike Trout would be worth 8 years of first round picks. They're worthless until they become prospects. That's why they trade prospects. Prospects are basically the equivalent of picks in other leagues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)