Miralem Pjanić (41 Viewers)

james95

Sep 2, 2018
Most teams either plays with 2 CMs or 3 where atleast one of them is a CAM like Isco, Kroos, Muller.. I haven't seen many teams fielding 3 average CMs who are primarily defensive. And especially not leaving players like Costa, Berna, Dybala or Cuads on the bench.
With most teams that field a 3-man midfield; the 3rd man isn't usually a CAM. The 3 man midfield usually features a holding midfielder (CDM) and two central midfielders slightly ahead of him (LCM & RCM).

Isco at RMA played CAM in a 4-4-2 diamond which is essentially a 4-1-2-1-2:

- - - - - - Casemiro- - - - - -
Modric - - - - - - - - - Kroos
- - - - - - - - - Isco - - - - - - - -
- - Benzema - -Ronaldo - -

That's the team and shape Madrid used against us both in 2017 & 2018.

Buy on AliExpress.com

juve103423

Mar 22, 2010
With most teams that field a 3-man midfield; the 3rd man isn't usually a CAM. The 3 man midfield usually features a holding midfielder (CDM) and two central midfielders slightly ahead of him (LCM & RCM).

Isco at RMA played CAM in a 4-4-2 diamond which is essentially a 4-1-2-1-2:

- - - - - - Casemiro- - - - - -
Modric - - - - - - - - - Kroos
- - - - - - - - - Isco - - - - - - - -
- - Benzema - -Ronaldo - -

That's the team and shape Madrid used against us both in 2017 & 2018.
Thats right. But that doesnt resemble anything near the kind of team we've got. Weve got no Isco, the closest we get is Bernadeschi/Cuadrado. And Modric and Kroos are way more comfortable beating their man and attacking. Casemiro a proper DM engine that we also doesnt have. Benzema is something else than Mandzukic too. I see no reason why we would try to play like that, when we got lethal wingers.

james95

Sep 2, 2018
Thats right. But that doesnt resemble anything near the kind of team we've got. Weve got no Isco, the closest we get is Bernadeschi/Cuadrado. And Modric and Kroos are way more comfortable beating their man and attacking. Casemiro a proper DM engine that we also doesnt have. Benzema is something else than Mandzukic too. I see no reason why we would try to play like that, when we got lethal wingers.
Yeah you’re correct and I’m not suggesting we should play like that, I was just refuting your point that Isco played CAM in a 4-3-3 when in fact he only played CAM when it was a 4-4-2 diamond.

The times he has played 4-3-3, he played the role properly. He took over Modric’s role in the team in the 14/15 season when he was out with a long term injury and filled in well. He has also played in the LCM role effectively aswell so he would probably fit in well at Juve without any major system tweaks.

RM played some of their best football this decade when he was at LCM in late 2014 and James was operating as a RW (sort of in the mould of Dybala) which shows he would have no problem co-existing with the latter.

EDIT: my bad. I forgot the initial comment wasn’t about Isco. That was a convo someone else.

Last edited:

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
C`mon guys, too harsh.. He did well, nothing spectacular, but he did his job. When even the manager says our season starts in February and all of us know that we are not at our full strength this time of the year, you are expecting waay too much from Mire. We do not need him at his best in an ordinary game in Serie A in December, we need him at his best from 1/8 finals in CL on. Our midfield is a question mark so far though, all of our trio in the middle of the park should and have to perform better come February/March, GK is solid, defense is solid, attack is solid, midfield has to improve. 1/8 finals are still waay too far and Max has the time to prepare them, we are an extremely smart team, better than the most there is, the chances are our lead at the top of Serie A to get even bigger than to lose pace and let Napoli cut our advantage. With the Derby d`Italia won, we got the Scudetto in our hands...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)