Milan's Victory Exposes Premier League Myth? (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I found this on another forum and found it interesting..

Milan's victory over United exposes the great Premier League myth

Craig Foster
May 6, 2007

original article:

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2007/05/05/1177788468573.html

Here's a question: how important is tempo in a game of football? At the top club and international level, where Australia need to aim, it is everything.

Although the ability to control the tempo is important, far more critical is the ability to vary it.

To be able to slow down the match when needed, to take advantage of a situation and attack with speed when necessary, to read the phases of the game as momentum swings and flows and to apply the perfect strategy at the perfect moment.

Tempo is important because it is a corollary of possession. Whoever is able to keep the ball can apply their own tactical strategy to the match, and whoever controls the ball controls the game.

Mind you, they don't always win it, as a game of football is still a competitive contest that is always subject to the swings of fortune.

But history says the world's best football nations keep and control the ball. More importantly, they all vary the tempo of their play, which requires outstanding technical players and a greater depth of tactical flexibility.

The results of the 2006 World Cup and the Champions League last week again bear this out and both involve Italy, the world's second most successful football country.

The Italians showed exceptional tactical understanding and variation to win the World Cup, and so did their finest club, AC Milan, in the semi-final of the Champions League.

Milan played perfect football against Manchester United and demonstrated the importance of being able to adapt tactics and speed of play to the flow of the game.

Above all, they were able to keep the ball, a phrase which should be tattooed on the forehead of every youth coach in this country.

On the other hand, United proved why the style of football in the Premier League remains a hindrance to England's international fortunes; because tactically it is one-dimensional and produces teams who can only play at one speed.

And what did Alex Ferguson say after his team had been mauled? "We have to learn to keep the ball."

That's an admission that they had no idea how to adapt to a team at a higher tactical level.

When he first arrived, Guus Hiddink said Australia couldn't keep the ball, which was not surprising since our understanding has been built on an outdated reliance on British coaches.

Two European champions stand out over the past decade - Real Madrid with three wins between 1998 and 2002, and AC Milan who are in their third final in five years.

Two intelligent football cultures, Spain and Italy, with very high technical levels and great tactical depth.

Six of the eight teams in European semis last week played football, but two played unsophisticated long ball football. Both were from England.

Watching Milan play United was like masters against students, experts against the uninitiated.

Milan were always in control of the speed of play, sometimes attacking with intent, other times holding the play to build their attack intelligently.

And in disposing so comfortably of the English champions-elect, they exposed the myth that the English Premier League is the world's best.

It's a hologram based on millions of dollars of marketing expenditure, on great atmosphere and greater television production values.

Interesting article, however the author looks far too much into the performances of Milan to prove a point. Although I agree with him... the Premier League style of play is not conducive of success for their National Team. Not to mention the fact that the Premiership is essentially owned and managed by foreignors, which in my opinion sort of stunts their growth in the international game.

The best teams in the game know how to hold the ball and use possession effectively, something most English teams seem to disregard.

However, in terms of the power of big clubs, the Prem is probably the best league in the world at the moment. But that certainly doesn't mean the league has the best football.

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Milan were always in control of the speed of play, sometimes attacking with intent, other times holding the play to build their attack intelligently.

And in disposing so comfortably of the English champions-elect, they exposed the myth that the English Premier League is the world's best.

It's a hologram based on millions of dollars of marketing expenditure, on great atmosphere and greater television production values.
on spot :agree:

However, in terms of the power of big clubs, the Prem is probably the best league in the world at the moment. But that certainly doesn't mean the league has the best football.
wordage :tup:

good find playa :pint:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The article conveniantly forgets the 7-1 man utd roma game,where Roma just couldnt keep up with Man Utd's pace.

It also seems to forget that Man Utd played the game with a half fit Vidic.Rio,Saha,G.Neville and Evra were all absent.Yes the game was lost in Midfield,Yes Ancelotti was tactically superior to Fergie at that day.But You cant deny that if it wasnt for those absences things might have been different.

I personally dont buy this EPL teams are one dimensional stuff..(while i agree the English NT are)...How do you explain Liverpool reaching the CL Final twice in 3 years.IMO it was because of Rafa's shrewd tactics in europe.Liverpool at least, have defenitly proved that they arent a one dimensional team.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Good sneek peek article Andy....

@fred weasly.... Roma were definitely outpaced ,but their lack of ball possession while trying to change the tempo is what really jacked them...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I gotta be a contrarian about this one, though. Milan's CL victory says about as much as 3 EPL teams making it to the semi-finals did: jack sh%t.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
The article conveniantly forgets the 7-1 man utd roma game,where Roma just couldnt keep up with Man Utd's pace.

It also seems to forget that Man Utd played the game with a half fit Vidic.Rio,Saha,G.Neville and Evra were all absent.Yes the game was lost in Midfield,Yes Ancelotti was tactically superior to Fergie at that day.But You cant deny that if it wasnt for those absences things might have been different.

I personally dont buy this EPL teams are one dimensional stuff..(while i agree the English NT are)...How do you explain Liverpool reaching the CL Final twice in 3 years.IMO it was because of Rafa's shrewd tactics in europe.Liverpool at least, have defenitly proved that they arent a one dimensional team.
I'm no Roma fan, but I dont think Manure could be so lucky again...

it was just one of those days where everything they put on goal just happened to go in

Mali

Aug 24, 2006

But why are those players are half fit and absent? fergie himself admit that the league has cost him CL. Good league should be able to give its team a balance opportunity to compete at local and international game...

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12
    But you have got to say Manure were amazingly lucky during that match. Every attacking foray they dealt turned into goal. I honestly consider that a fluke more than anything else.

I don't agree as even you said yourself the game was won in midfield, which it was. Manure had a full squad in midfield yet could do nothing about Kaka and Pirlo, and even they were lucky to win at Old Trafford. Milan was the better team on both occasions as they are the better team... partly because they know how to keep the ball.

The author may look far too much into MIlan to prove his point, however everybody knows that the "English" sort of game does not work in the Champions League. And such a league is comparable to the world stage as every sort of tactic is applied to the Europeam Cup. Manunre's tactics might work in the Prem, but in Europe they fail consistently. The only clubs to break the stereotype in England are those clubs led by foreign managers... Benitez and Mourinho. They actually make sense with their tactics. Everybody else does not.

Pool are successful because they have an intelligent manager... who is anything but English. That's why they are successful.

People don't like to admit that, but this is the case regarding the EPL nowadays. The league has climed these heights because of foreign investments and foreign faces at a managerial and player level, which is not English. The latter love to brag about their league, but they should realize that their best clubs are really not English.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Thank you for the article Andy, i have been also saying my self for years how much i disrespect this long ball football, in a matter of fact i hate it!!
    Most of the times, its boring, predictable and un-efficient.
    However EPL teams master it, thats all they know,
    the gravest mistake a coach can make is to adapt their adept tactics and try and beat them were they are best using the same run and gun tactics.
    Capello is (probably) a great tactician, but he was trapped too many times trying to do just that, beat English teams using long balls.
    IMHO our's team special weakness was, that we were weak, on the "Air game",
    while every average EPL player is particulary strong there
    and pretty weak in every other way, EPL cannot adapt to another situation,
    their team-work fail if they cant produce the certain type of football,
    it is proven and it is the main reason, good EPL struggle to adapt at non-EPL teams when they get transfered out and most o the times, they never become as valuable as they were in EPL.
    Its a very stupid idea to give by your self the tactical advantage to your adversary,like Crap did forcing your players to play with the adversaries rules.
    It might have worked in Italy against most of the teams, since they all have this certain weakness, BUT NOT against the masters of it!
    Milan and Lazio players are stronger in the air than the rest of Italian teams,
    (thats why they may have better results against EPL teams and against us)
    they can resist on air attacks and IF they manage to control the tempo,
    controlling the ball, while keeping possession, then yes, they can face EPL teams and cancel their air game advantage and extra-ordinary pace/rhythm.
    If you dont, then EPL mediocre/simple tactics may ruin you,
    it happened with us, it happened with Roma and many other teams in the past.
    The article has good points, but the wrong example, Milan didnt win that CL by tactics alone, the gifted playmaker, their iron will, their experienced defense and their consistent luck, had a large role on it.
    I dont complain EPL as a whole, it can combine results and spectacle some times,
    under some certain circumstances, every tactic has pros and cons and i cant be too objective judging EPL tactics since i hate them too much,
    as a football player and football viewer. I m really glad when i see them fail and most of the times it happens by teams that have a balanced combination of tactics and great adaptive abilities, but i m not sure if its always fair.
    Chelsea plays Italian football, but EPL-ised, Arsenal play's different football, really fast paced and with passes, like French football, i like it a lot but obviously it has no results. Manure is the epitome of run-cross-header football and they can be really efficient and almost enjoyable to watch!! But watching two average EPL teams playing each other really sux, u might not get the chance to see any dribble and all the goals are copy pasted from 70's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)