Mike Brown/Ferguson riots (3 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Just seems like white people acting like white people and black people acting like black people. Nothing to worry about.
:lol:

Yeah. Lately I've been thinking about how Detroit went down the toilet for good after the '67 riots, never to recover (of course, a New-Orleans-level corrupt political force there didn't help). Ferguson is going to face the same challenges now.

Unfortunately, whether you trust the justice system or not given all its possibilities of bias, this issue should go through the judicial system. Pre-judging innocence or guilt in the streets based on dubious testimony is a waste of everyone's time and people are getting killed over it.

We don't know shit about what really happened, and there are very limited good ways to figure it out at our disposal. None of them are what we're seeing right now.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Lesson from... basically any place shit goes crazy and a riot breaks out.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing to ponder, probably should give the police tanks.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yeah, it's the militarisation of the police that I find most interesting/disturbing in all of this.

That's not to say that American police shouldn't get out of the habit of shooting black kids or that their investigative/judicial system shouldn't handle things an awful lot better when such situations do arise.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
At the same time, it's absolute truth that the NRA is trying to put military grade weapons in the hands of every hobbyist. But people go apeshit when a cop looks at his GLOCK pistol and thinks, "Why am I the only one not getting some of that in this scenario?"

If you have problems with cops carrying armor and automatic weapons, your complaints need to start with the NRA.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's the terrorists. Municipal police don't pay for that stuff. Congress gives the military budgetary surplus from the Pentagon to the local police departments. That's how small town police departments get tanks.

The NRA and open carry groups are idiots, but lets not over look the real problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, I'm consistent - I think the whole American attitude to guns is incredibly fucked up.
It's pretty ridiculous right? Open carry enthusiasts are the worst.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's the terrorists. Municipal police don't pay for that stuff. Congress gives the military budgetary surplus from the Pentagon to the local police departments. That's how small town police departments get tanks.
And, even better, they seem to get the stuff on a 'use it or lose it' basis, which pushes them to use the military gear in sistuations where it really isn't necessary.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Don't worry, I'm consistent - I think the whole American attitude to guns is incredibly fucked up.
True dat. It's sad when we have to look to Australia for civil examples of behavior. :D

The NRA and open carry groups are idiots, but lets not over look the real problem.
True, that's what pays for it. But my brother is a cop, and I know they wouldn't mind bringing from home if they could too.

But you're right: a po-dunk town with no chance in hell from terrorism suddenly has to use it or lose it, so the next thing you know Ferguson, MO is cruising around town in M1 Abrams.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
And, even better, they seem to get the stuff on a 'use it or lose it' basis, which pushes them to use the military gear in sistuations where it really isn't necessary.
It's not only the police having tanks (I understand automatic weapons), but it's also their treatment of the populations they "protect and serve". It's almost like they're an occupational force at times.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's pretty ridiculous right? Open carry enthusiasts are the worst.
I can imagine it leads to some pretty unpleasant, intimidating situations when gun-toting bampots feel the need to flaunt their weapons in public.

It's ridiculous the way so many Americans are so determined to hang on to a right that that was dreamed up in revolutionary times and which should have been repealed long ago.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I can imagine it leads to some pretty unpleasant, intimidating situations when gun-toting bampots feel the need to flaunt their weapons in public.

It's ridiculous the way so many Americans are so determined to hang on to a right that that was dreamed up in revolutionary times and which should have been repealed long ago.
It's not even really about the 2nd amendment. Americans just love being dicks, making people uncomfortable, doing whatever they want.

That said, there are a lot of polive humvees and automatic weapons down here.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not even really about the 2nd amendment. Americans just love being dicks, making people uncomfortable, doing whatever they want.
They come from all ends of the spectrum and do exactly that. In San Francisco, we have these cool things called "parklets" that got introduced several years ago on the city streets. A few parking spots in certain neighborhoods gets turned over to a public space as a seating area with landscaping or design, etc. A very "livable cities" type of thing.

So you go to the heart of the liberal, gay Castro District, and the parklet there smack on Market and Castro street is overrun with fat, ugly naked dudes staking out the space to be dicks and make a statement about their right to public nudity so we can't avert our eyes from their exceptionally gross bodies.

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/article/Dear-nudists-Please-cover-up-the-seat-at-least-2310817.php

Do something nice for the public, and there's always someone who wants to shit on it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's an entire mentality I just can't even begin to comprehend.

People get so into the anti-government, personal freedom mindset, and then seem to feel the need to behave like cunts just because they are entitled to.

Does it not occur to them at any point that just because you are entitled to do something that it isn't necessarily a good idea to actually do it?

But then it's not just individual stuff that baffles me in America.

Going along with the gun laws, it amazes me how weighted in favour of the shooter the law is in so many cases - whether it be police shooting someone or an individual shooting someone under the pretence of protecting property - in terms of the burden of showing that they have acted reasonably in shooting someone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)