OP
Erkka

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #123
    the captain of Barca is just too expensive, so Bonera it is... :undecide:

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    Well if we can't have Miguel who's a personal first choice, I prefer Oddo over Bonera, by some margin --we'll need attacking fullbacks to compensate the offensive shortage in midfield. And to destroy the cliché before it spreads too much, no, Bonera isn't that young anymore and I doubt he'd substantially improve.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++
    Well if we can't have Miguel who's a personal first choice, I prefer Oddo over Bonera, by some margin --we'll need attacking fullbacks to compensate the offensive shortage in midfield. And to destroy the cliché before it spreads too much, no, Bonera isn't that young anymore and I doubt he'd substantially improve.
    How can you say that? Bonera is still young and has not reached his prime. He has the talent which still needs to be fulfilled. And we don't need two attacking fullbacks in the same team, as that will leave the defense stranded sometimes. I rather have a stay at home RB, like Thuram was for us. Bonera fits that bill.

Stephañho!

Aug 1, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    How can you say that? Bonera is still young and has not reached his prime. He has the talent which still needs to be fulfilled. And we don't need two attacking fullbacks in the same team, as that will leave the defense stranded sometimes. I rather have a stay at home RB, like Thuram was for us. Bonera fits that bill.
    I beg to differ. Thuram never was that kind of RB, be in for France or Juventus (and certainly not in 2002-2003), except for last season which will go down in history as his worst. Thuram made himself a name thanks to his unstoppable raids on the right flank and at his best, was considered an offensive weapon, albeit not as offensive-minded as Oddo for instance. He was lacklustre last season because his legs wouldn't allow him his usual runs forward to bring the danger, and less so for not being the defensive rock we've known him to be. Sorry, had to settle that one.

After several years of watching him, I still don't rate Bonera nor do I reckon all it takes is a polishing. If he was to explode, he would've by now. He'll never improve IMO (hear 'drastically') and as such, I prefer a Massimo Oddo and his 28 years of age and certainties over a overrated Bonera and his 23 years of questionmarks. And again, I'd like someone attacking...

We can certainly use two attacking fullbacks if Capello implements his beloved midfield, usually comprised mostly of defensive-minded players. They're meant to cover! Obviously, that takes two world-class CB's and we only have one.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Stephañho! ] ++

I beg to differ. Thuram never was that kind of RB, be in for France or Juventus (and certainly not in 2002-2003), except for last season which will go down in history as his worst. Thuram made himself a name thanks to his unstoppable raids on the right flank and at his best, was considered an offensive weapon, albeit not as offensive-minded as Oddo for instance. He was lacklustre last season because his legs wouldn't allow him his usual runs forward to bring the danger, and less so for not being the defensive rock we've known him to be. Sorry, had to settle that one.

After several years of watching him, I still don't rate Bonera nor do I reckon all it takes is a polishing. If he was to explode, he would've by now. He'll never improve IMO (hear 'drastically') and as such, I prefer a Massimo Oddo and his 28 years of age and certainties over a overrated Bonera and his 23 years of questionmarks. And again, I'd like someone attacking...

We can certainly use two attacking fullbacks if Capello implements his beloved midfield, usually comprised mostly of defensive-minded players. They're meant to cover! Obviously, that takes two world-class CB's and we only have one.
    Well of course Thuram would jump at the chance to move forward, but what I'm saying is that he certainly stays more at home than Zambrotta, and rightfully so. Lilian does make good raids down the right, but thats not the reason why he is/was considered one of the best defenders in the world. He made a name for himself by stopping attacker after attacker at Parma. If I remember correctly Parma played mostly with a three man defense, where Lilian had the right locked up tightly. When I mean "stay at home", I mean not attack all the time, but attack only when the opportunity comes, which Thuram did well.

As for Bonera, I still say he has it. You shouldn't write off players that haven't "exploded" at age 23.

If another sigining is made, specifically either Cesar or Jankulovski, that would most likely mean Zambrotta would be moved to right midfield. In this case, Oddo would not be needed, because the left side would have Cesar running the the flank with Emerson supporting defensively, and the RB would only support the runs of Zambro. To add Oddo in that might be a little risky IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)