Mighty Juve Vs. Deportivo (5 Viewers)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I only want to see aresenal out!!!, in my opinion they are the unbeatable one gor juve. The last year at highbury, the showed to us how to play soccer.

But with any enemy in the quarters, we must fight abd win cuz from now on, every team is extremely dangerous. If juve want to win, they must play better and im hopijng that they will do that.

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Cruyff has never been a fan of Italian football and to say he cricticised the way we played because he wanted Makaay to be in the next round is baffling. Does this mean he does not like Davids or have you forgotten that we have a dutchman too in our team?

But we are not the prettiest to watch to be fair to neutrals and we have to be thankful to Tudor for his winner, Iruetta for being negative and taking out Tristan, Basle for not having the good sense to trying harder for a win and Neville for scoring the goal that has put us in the 1/4 finals

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Here are my player comments from the recent game.

Buffon - There was nothing he could do about the two goals, and apart from them he was as reliable as usual.

Thuram - He wasn't very effective going forward, but nevertheless, still quite a solid performance from the Frenchman.

Ferrara - Ciro showed good leadership at the back and won most, if not all of his aerial battles. With his strength and height he also proved dangerous from set pieces.

Montero - Nothing more than an average outing from Paolo.

Zambrotta - In the first half he struggled a little against Scaloni, but when moved out onto the right-hand side in the second period of play Zambro proved quite useful.

Tacchinardi - Good performance from Alessio. Hard work throughout, surprisingly good passing and pure passion made Tacchi my man of the match.

Davids - Edgar provided a great amount of hustling in midfield and was relatively successful going forward.

Nedved - Not the best of games for Pavel, but the Czech maestro's influence alone was enough to put pressure on the Depor back four.

Di Vaio - Marco made a few nice runs early on but his passing was wayward and he only managed to muster up one notable attempt at goal.

Trezeguet - The service to Trez was of no quality what so ever (bar Tacchi's lovely long ball) and from time to time he drifted out of the game. After his goal however, he improved.

Pessotto - Pesso and Zambro provided the width that we badly missed in the first half....Not a bad run for the left wing back.

Zalayeta - He received alot more of the football than Trezeguet did, and he was quite impressive when involved in build up play. His finishing however was rather poor.

Tudor - Sublime volley from Igor. Well done.

Lippi - Thumbs up to Lippi, as all three of his substitutions paid dividends. :thumb:

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
I only want to see aresenal out!!!, in my opinion they are the unbeatable one gor juve. The last year at highbury, the showed to us how to play soccer
So did our Reserve team in Torino :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I must say that I am estatic of our win and yet convinced by our performance, yet again against quality teams.
We struggled badly in defence, when Depor counter-attacked us. The problem was partly due to lack of pace of our defence, but more so, due to lack of cover from the midfield.
Also, we created very little opportunities in comparison to our possession, especially towards the end. While, we were virtually camping in their half for last twenty minutes, we hardly created a chance before, Tudor scored a wonderful volley to the bottom left corner. :D:cool:.
To be honest, when I saw it was Tudor who was going to strike ball, I gave up my hope.:D. Furthermore, I was more impressed by the way he kept his composure. I thought the moment he scored that goal, he would go crazy.;).
Nevertheless, there were many problems we have to resolve if we are to win the trophy. We are lacking flow in the attack, also our defence looks vunerable against counter attack. Ok, maybe Makaay's goal was unstoppable but Tristan's goal was soft goal to concede.
However, I was very impressed by the attitude of the players. They did not give up, and worked hard through out the match. I think that was the major difference between this one and against Man U. Now, we must not be too relaxed or cautious against Basle.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Paolo Montero,

I do agree most of the team for the quater final can play more attractive football than us, but I think we can still compete, and win games, as long as we can keep our backline together and midfield compact, which we are failing miserably in last two CL games.

Only team I fear right now is Real, especially if they played like they did against Milan. It was simply "breath taking" stuff. Raul's ball keeping, vision, finishing, technique, movement, would destroy our defence. And somehow, I just can't see our midfield protecting our defence. Also, Real is much better counter attacking team then most people give credit for.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Jun-hide,

The lack of pace in defence is surely a problem, but I think Tacchinardi and Davids are overly capable of protecting our defence, especially with their current form.

As for the compactness of midfield, I think this can be solved if we just play Pessotto at left back. Pesso is a very versatile player and gives us options going forward and defensively. With him on the left Davids won't have to drift wide as much as he's being made to and he can keep the centre of midfield more compact.

Now...you were saying that our attack isn't as fluent as it could be, but you must remember that we are missing Del Piero. DP helps the attack to flow a whole lot better than Zalayeta and Di Vaio do and I think that is where the problem is at the moment.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Most of you seem impressed by our game which comes as a shock to me. Maybe I watched too many good football matches when I was younger ;) After watching the game my conclusion is that we certainly sucked big time. Look at the first half ball possession statistics ......
Juventus 37% Depor 63%
We didn't do anything special in the second half either it was just that we were lucky. The only positive thing about this match is that we won. Let's hope we get our act togther before the quarters.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
Most of you seem impressed by our game which comes as a shock to me. Maybe I watched too many good football matches when I was younger ;) After watching the game my conclusion is that we certainly sucked big time. Look at the first half ball possession statistics ......
Juventus 37% Depor 63%
We didn't do anything special in the second half either it was just that we were lucky. The only positive thing about this match is that we won. Let's hope we get our act togther before the quarters.
I totally agree with DaJuve!
In the second half, we were practically forcing every player rather playing fluent football! Our goals were scored by moment of individual brillance rather than worked out, and also the number of chances despite the territorial dominance, and ball possession towards the end of match was pathetic. I can't remember of chance beside Zala's effort before Tudor scored a goal!
I think the team really need Del Piero back because we are indeed lacking the lubricant in the attacking team. Also, we are getting out number in the middle of park, and thereby we can't protect the defence as well as we should. We got destroyed by Man U, our defence got burned at periods of time against Depor, and against Inter, well, we have to thank their pathetic attack that day!
However, what I am pleased about is that the team did not give up until the very last moment, and as long as we can keep our heads up and try something, we might just snatch a game, as we did agaisnt Depor. This itself is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT over Man U game,:), in my opinion, players gave up once we conceded very very soft goal.
And I think, it is totally different ball game from now on, so let's improve and win the trophy.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Well you have to understand that part of Lippi's tactics is to keep possession with the opposition (even 63%) and stay behind the ball, once the opposition mistakes and gives away the ball we counter-attack with either Neddy, Camo, or Di Vaio (who all happen to be speedy players) and then either try to shoot on goal with all the spaces left behind by the opposition or create an assist, most probably for the awaiting Treze .. it worked perfectly against Inter (3-0) with no complaints, but Depor made it harder because they were more careful .. but eventually we won :D

I hope it works against Milan .. or maybe with Del Piero's expected comeback we will completely change our tactics + formation .. who knows ;)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I hate this 1 striker formation :fero: I believe we would do better with 2 strikers up front and more wing play.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
We won ALL Serie A matches with this formation (including a 3-0 drubbing of Inter) .. but we've struggled a bit in Europe, eventually made it ;)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I know we did Fahad and we've not been impressive thus far. We get the results alright but our game is suffering. The entertaining part :down:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Cruyff has never been a fan of Italian football and to say he cricticised the way we played because he wanted Makaay to be in the next round is baffling. Does this mean he does not like Davids or have you forgotten that we have a dutchman too in our team?

But we are not the prettiest to watch to be fair to neutrals and we have to be thankful to Tudor for his winner, Iruetta for being negative and taking out Tristan, Basle for not having the good sense to trying harder for a win and Neville for scoring the goal that has put us in the 1/4 finals
Cruyff is a fan of Makaay, common knowledge in NL. And he thinks Deportivo deserve to be in the quarterfinals more because they play better football then we do.

And they do play better imo.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
can't argue with that part. Depor play some of the best football in Europe, we can't play good football. We are incapable of it, so we are reduced to counter attacking at home because we cannot break teams down otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)