Microsoft won't go soft on Mike Rowe (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Microsoft won't go soft on Mike Rowe

VANCOUVER -- Like any good fledgling businessperson, Mike Rowe knew he needed a catchy name for his website design company. Being possessed of a sense of humour and the cheekiness of a typical 17 year old and given his name, what better than to register his Internet domain name as mikerowesoft.com?

As in, but not quite, Microsoft Corp.

"Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it," the Victoria Grade 12 student said.

But the folks at the world's biggest software company aren't smiling. They've demanded he give up his domain name.

Mike, a self-described computer geek, registered the name in August. In November, he received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers, Smart & Biggar, informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

He was advised to transfer the name to the corporation.

"I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me," Rowe said.

He wrote back, saying he'd put a lot of time and effort into his business and asked to be compensated if he was to give up his name.

Microsoft's lawyers wrote back offering him $10 US.

Rowe asked for $1,000.

Then, last Wednesday, he received an ominous, 2.5-centimetre-thick package with a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement for his name.

"I never even thought of getting anything out of them," he said, adding he only asked for the $1,000 because he was "sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks."

Now he's going to sit back and see if the organization that registers domain names will take his name away from him.

No one from the law firm or Microsoft would comment.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2004/01/19/317906.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Oh FFS, they really are taking this to the extreme :rolleyes:

The site can in no way be misstaken for Microsoft, the adress is completely different, it just sounds the same!!!

This is really unbeliavably stupid by Microsoft, do they really need this bad publicity?

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    ++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
    This is really unbeliavably stupid by Microsoft, do they really need this bad publicity?
    If I hadn't posted the story, you would never had known about the story. Probably. What more proof do you need that the negative PR they receive is far outweighed by the millions they pump into aggressive advertising?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    That is true, but stories like this will always come out, and we all support the underdog, the small family business struggeling to survive.

Did they really need all this? I dont think so, and I really dont understand why they did it.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ahhh i read this story. Heroes who wage war on evil multinational corporations :strong:

:touched:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    That is true, but stories like this will always come out, and we all support the underdog, the small family business struggeling to survive.

Did they really need all this? I dont think so, and I really dont understand why they did it.
    I don't think so. Microsoft employs thousands of people, including lawyers and publicists. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they analyze each situation and decide on a strategy that is most likely to see them succeed.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Hey speaking of this, I heard that Bill Gates named his company after his.... hmmm... never mind :undecide:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    After his what???

Anyways, did anyone watch the movie "Sillicon Valley" (I think thats what its called) about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs?

It was about their lives, the start of Microsoft and the constant competition betwwn their companies. Anyways, in that movie Bill Gates stole Windows from a smaller company, he stole their idea and design, only changed the name. They said the movie was based on real life, so... you do the maths.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    After his what???

Anyways, did anyone watch the movie "Sillicon Valley" (I think thats what its called) about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs?

It was about their lives, the start of Microsoft and the constant competition betwwn their companies. Anyways, in that movie Bill Gates stole Windows from a smaller company, he stole their idea and design, only changed the name. They said the movie was based on real life, so... you do the maths.
    That's true, I believe it was Xerox that had the original idea, as a research project. Then Apple adopted it and Microsoft came after it a little later, seeing that Apple was successful.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    True. Xerox came up with the Star System, then Apple made the first GUI with their LISA computer

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Hey speaking of this, I heard that Bill Gates named his company after his.... hmmm... never mind :undecide:

:LOL:

If you had what I have in mind.........:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)