Microsoft Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I've never heard that said before. For real.
I read a lot of negative things about it & was actually prepared for the worst. One afternoon out of sheer boredom I deicded to try it out. I downloaded Windows 8 Enterprise trial version. I got the hang of it pretty quick & some features are really good.
- Instant Search : Just type the application you want to ran & it appears instantly in search (much faster than navigating through Start, all programs ... )
- Live Tiles : All info at a glance
- Charms : Stupid name but great idea (every app has the settings pinned on the Charms)
- Shortcuts : Using the shortcuts increases efficiency.
Still exploring it though.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
So I have this friend who has a friend who has a pirated Windows 7 on his computer. That friend is interested to know:

If he was to buy Windows 8 upgrade which is currently on sale, would it work with the pirated windows 7? Or would it make him out for the lousey pirate that he is and fuck his shit up?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
So I have this friend who has a friend who has a pirated Windows 7 on his computer. That friend is interested to know:

If he was to buy Windows 8 upgrade which is currently on sale, would it work with the pirated windows 7? Or would it make him out for the lousey pirate that he is and fuck his shit up?
i think @Jem83 is the man you need

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
In theory, it could work. But the serial number has probably been upgraded before and will be rejected in the upgrade process.

Another way of it being stopped would be if Microsoft has made a "blacklist" of some sort when it comes to pirated copies and their serial numbers, and the process fails because of that.

As for him being compromised, there's a risk of that too, so he needs to ask himself if he's willing to take that risk.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
In theory, it could work. But the serial number has probably been upgraded before and will be rejected in the upgrade process.

Another way of it being stopped would be if Microsoft has made a "blacklist" of some sort when it comes to pirated copies and their serial numbers, and the process fails because of that.

As for him being compromised, there's a risk of that too, so he needs to ask himself if he's willing to take that risk.
So I guess I'll have to tell him that he's shit out of luck. The Windows 7 updates are working though, so the serial number shouldnt be upgraded yet? Or can you have a windows 7 copy running despite upgrading it?

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
So I guess I'll have to tell him that he's shit out of luck. The Windows 7 updates are working though, so the serial number shouldnt be upgraded yet? Or can you have a windows 7 copy running despite upgrading it?
All upgrades might work, even with pirated versions. But most likely they won't, due to the reasons I gave earlier. And like I said, there's always the risk of getting caught. But in theory, he may be able to get all upgrades to work if the serial number is still upgradable.

For the record, I don't endorse this behavior :p

Damn. Jem is knowledgeable on everything.
Nah, just had copyright law as part of my degree, and there were these chapters on DRM systems etc. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Or can you have a windows 7 copy running despite upgrading it?
I'm not sure about that one. I wouldn't think so, though. If you upgade, you upgrade. It's possible to "downgrade" software versions, but I'm not sure how that would pan out with a pirated version.

Moral of the story, peepz?

Buy the damn products!

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Your friend's friend can install Windows 8 Enterprise trial version & then upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro & dual boot it with Win 7 although the Win 7 might be deactivated.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
If you guys are planning to upgrade to windows 8, make sure the bios version is up to date as well,people seem to forget to updating bios and only update their video card, then all shit starts happening, black screen,automatic repair reloop, etc. so prior to upgrading, dont forget to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)