Microsoft admits Vista failure (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Microsoft admits Vista failure

Actions speak louder than PR

By Charlie Demerjian in Beijing: Saturday 21 April 2007, 12:20
WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (MeII), is a joke that no one wants. It did two unprecedented things this week that frankly stunned us.

Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs. The second that Vista came out, Microsoft makes it very hard for you to sell anything other than MeII. It can't do this on the business side because it would be laughed out the door, but for the walking sheep class, well, you take what you are shovelled.

This is classic abusive monopoly behavior, Microsoft wrote the modern book on it. It pulled all the major OEMs in by twisting their arms with the usual methods, and they again all fell into line. Never before has anyone backpedalled on this, to do so would earn you the wrath of Microsoft.

But Dell just did. This means that MeII sales are at least as bad as we think, the software and driver situation is just as miserable, and Dell had no choice but to buck the trend. If anyone thinks this is an act of atonement for foisting such a steaming pile on us, think again, it doesn't care about the consumer.

What happened is the OEMs revolted in the background and forced Microsoft's hand. This is a big neon sign above MeII saying 'FAILURE'. Blink blink blink. OK, MeII won't fail, they have OEMs whipped and threatened into a corner, it will sell, but you can almost hear the defectors marching toward Linux. This is a watershed.

The other equally monumental MeII failure? Gates in China launching a $3 version of bundled MeII. Why is this not altruism? Well, it goes back to piracy and how it helped enforce the MS monopoly. If you can easily pirate Windows, Linux has no price advantage, they both cost zero.

With MeII, Microsoft made it very hard to pirate. It is do-able, you can use the BIOS hack and probably a host of others, but the point is, it raised the bar enough so lots of people have to buy it. Want to bet that in a country with $100 average monthly salary, people aren't going to shell out $299 for MeII Broken Edition?

What did MS do? It dropped the price about 100x or so. I can't say this is unprecedented, when it made Office 2003 hard to pirate it had to backpedal with the student edition for about $150. This time though, things are much more desperate.

If you fit Microsoft's somewhat convoluted definition of poor, it still wants to lock you in, you might get rich enough to afford the full-priced stuff someday. It is at a dangerous crossroads, if its software bumps up the price of a computer by 100 per cent, people might look to alternatives.

That means no MeII DRM infection lock in, no mass migration to the newer Office obfuscated and patented file formats, and worse yet, people might utter the W word. Yes, you guessed it, 'why'. People might ask why they are sticking with the MS lock in, and at that point, it is in deep trouble.

So, it did the unthinkable, and dropped the price. I won't bother to hunt down all the exec quotes saying how people can't afford clean water would be overjoyed to sell kidneys to upgrade to the new version of Office, but they are out there. This was a sacred cow, and it is now hamburger backed up against the wall.

These two actions by Microsoft are proof of what I suggested three years ago. Microsoft has lost its ability to twist arms, and now it is going to die. It can't compete on level ground, so is left with backpedalling and discounts of almost 100 times.

What we are seeing is an unprecedented shift of power. It is also an unprecedented admission of failure. And the funniest part about the moves made? They are the wrong things to do. Microsoft is in deep trouble.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39087

===

I read somewhere recently that since launch, there are something like 200 copies of Vista sold in China. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
rushed? its been three years overdue
yes but microsoft were pressured into releasing it earlier than they wanted to due to demands of computer manufacturers wanting it on their computers by xmas i personally think for 200 quid its rubbish when i can download most of the stuff vista has onto xp like i can skin my desktop to look like vista, same security as vista if not better, same windows media player, the only difference is that i wont have the picture view system which to me is nothing special.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
yes but microsoft were pressured into releasing it earlier than they wanted to due to demands of computer manufacturers wanting it on their computers by xmas i personally think for 200 quid its rubbish when i can download most of the stuff vista has onto xp like i can skin my desktop to look like vista, same security as vista if not better, same windows media player, the only difference is that i wont have the picture view system which to me is nothing special.
You mention primitive features here, my dear.

On our side of the road these things are trivial now; long well matured and developed.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
You mention primitive features here, my dear.

On our side of the road these things are trivial now; long well matured and developed.
well the very basic version of vista you can get on xp and thats nearly 200 quid

if you want professional which has a few more unglamorising features we are talking another 50 quid

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
well the very basic version of vista you can get on xp and thats nearly 200 quid

if you want professional which has a few more unglamorising features we are talking another 50 quid
Who cares how much does it cost, where it 2 quid or 2000, I enjoy MIcrosoft's failure everyday. And again I say, the features you mentioned are primitive features on our systems, they have been there since I can't remember when.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
What kind of features are you referring to, Jack?
Security is a totally different matter on windows,
windows media player isnt the best media player in windows too,
the skins is smth relative and their beauty/cost, but there are no vista transformation pacs that can imitate vista succesfully

I have tried vista and are now using xp,(waiting for more experienced drivers to come up) there is no chance in earth that vista will fail, vista are far more impressive and stable than xp were at the beginning, third party companies, their soft and drivers are to blame for the numerous compatibility problems,
Vista is the step forward, modern age programs and games will be available for vista only and this is were the war starts.(between the new system Vista and the old one, just like what happened before with millenium hard core users)
Linux are out of the picture anyway, ppl would still prefer xp over linux anyway.
By the time there is no compatibility problems and vista are fully cracked, noone would think twice to install them.
As for the ones that own a 100$ pc, they should just keep their windows 98' and stop bothering for the pc soft evolution...
There are rumors that xp will have a third service that would make the difference between vista and xp to dissapear, i doubt that, its not MS's interest, at least not yet!
The only real advantage xp will have over vista in a while will hardware requirements.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Ya linux is out of the picture with only a couple of thousands advocating it and 37 programmers are developing programs for it....

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
As it is commonly known among Linuxers of Sweden, Windows Sista (Windows Last)

:rofl2:
interesting really, cause in the compay i work for here.The CIO actually is think of rolling out Linux, but thats only for workstations and thats only after the XP roll out finishes at the end of this year.
so it would be around 2014 :D

but its interesting to see if they will crumble or not.Too tough to happen imo, but its popularity will decrease
Who cares how much does it cost, where it 2 quid or 2000, I enjoy MIcrosoft's failure everyday. And again I say, the features you mentioned are primitive features on our systems, they have been there since I can't remember when.
i didn't know you developed Linux mate :D

anyway about the article it talks about the monetary and marketing problems with vista as well as the hard nature of vista that its hard to pirate.

Well i guess a crack for the system will occur and by that time most of the problems will be resolved.Then it would be smooth sailing after that.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
What kind of features are you referring to, Jack?
Security is a totally different matter on windows,
windows media player isnt the best media player in windows too,
the skins is smth relative and their beauty/cost, but there are no vista transformation pacs that can imitate vista succesfully

I have tried vista and are now using xp,(waiting for more experienced drivers to come up) there is no chance in earth that vista will fail, vista are far more impressive and stable than xp were at the beginning, third party companies, their soft and drivers are to blame for the numerous compatibility problems,
Vista is the step forward, modern age programs and games will be available for vista only and this is were the war starts.(between the new system Vista and the old one, just like what happened before with millenium hard core users)
Linux are out of the picture anyway, ppl would still prefer xp over linux anyway.
By the time there is no compatibility problems and vista are fully cracked, noone would think twice to install them.
As for the ones that own a 100$ pc, they should just keep their windows 98' and stop bothering for the pc soft evolution...
There are rumors that xp will have a third service that would make the difference between vista and xp to dissapear, i doubt that, its not MS's interest, at least not yet!
The only real advantage xp will have over vista in a while will hardware requirements.
People 'choose' Windows simply because the choice is made for them at the manufacturing stage when companies pre install Windows operating systems on computers. Those who go out of their way to buy Macs 'chose' the Mac OS.

It is very simple, the day alternatives such as Linux start coming out as the first choice operating system on hardware, Windows death kneel would have been sounded. It may take a bit of time yes, but it is as inevitable as the earth's rotation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)