Michel Bastos - LW - Olympique Lyonnais (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Its his speed that's going to add to our game. We'll be crazy on the counter with Krasic Bastos. But what makes Vargas an interesting proposition, the more I think about it, is the fact that he's captain of his team. Guys like Lugano, Vargas would come with that leadership mentality which goes a long way in adding to our mentality and temperament on the pitch. Don't know if this is a valid point, but it's a thought that crossed my mind.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Its his speed that's going to add to our game. We'll be crazy on the counter with Krasic Bastos. But what makes Vargas an interesting proposition, the more I think about it, is the fact that he's captain of his team. Guys like Lugano, Vargas would come with that leadership mentality which goes a long way in adding to our mentality and temperament on the pitch. Don't know if this is a valid point, but it's a thought that crossed my mind.
its a massive point, baggio. I have bemoaned our lack of leaders since Nedved retired. We lost so much more than just a player with his departure from the playing ranks...such extreme zeal, determination, infectious enthusiasm, never say die, kill! kill! kill!...he was the last true warrior we had.

I am heartened by Vidal's arrival, will be immensely happy and excited if Lugao comes, and yes, as you suggest, I would rather have Vargas, for his technique, but mainly his spirit, for when he has the bit between his teeth, he can be truly fierce...

Its one of the reasons I loved Melo, as when he was right in the head, he could boss a midfield singlehandedly, and its one of the reasons I often criticize Marchisio, because I find him one of the least imposing, one of the nicest, one of the least fierce, cenral midfielders I have ever seen wear our jersey. Paulo Sousa and Deschamps come to mind, but they both had top drawer talent in other areas..the jesus lookalike could dictate the pace of a game, and play beautiful long passes, and the little didier could keep things extremely tidy in front of defence. Marchisio?? has no top drawer talent, and neither has he any berserker blood.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
Vargas is a little one-dimensional compared to Bastos.
If Juve want a non one-dimensional player to put on the left, they shouldn't go for Bastos anyway.

Vargas has that warrior spirit in him and he can also be more useful than Bastos. Actually, Vargas could be the key to make Pirlo performing at his best in Conte's 4-4-2, but then again, we would need a young ADP in our forward line to link up the sectors (and score some goals as well) as we wouldn't have that player in the midfield. I seriously think that Quaglia and Matri wouldn't work with a midfield of Krasic, Pirlo, Vidal/Marchisio and Vargas/Bastos behind them as they'll both sit forward and wait for (long) balls, breaking the team in different units.

Apart of Cassano and maybe Giovinco/Jovetic (lack the goals), I don't see any player who could fit that Delpie's role with enough quality, by the way.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
Easy - get both Vargas and Bastos - LW & LB - attack galore
What, waste ~30M on both with players like Mata and Hazard in the market (for example)? That's stupid.

And I'd welcome any of them as a FB if we were playing 4-3-3, not 4-4-2, but I'd also rather get a natural FB instead.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Vargas is a little one-dimensional compared to Bastos.
In terms of his tricks and skill, yes. He doesn't cut inside as well either. Vargas isn't that one dimensional though. He played well on the left of a three-man midfield last season. He's also stronger than Bastos.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
So what's up with this guy? I thought he was wrapped and done dealed couple of weeks ago? Another one slipped through our fingers, because of slow reaction from management?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I hope we sigh him though, since I think it is the best we can realistically get. And don't think waiting for some miracle(Vidal comes to mind) is the best thing to do when this is one of your best options.

But if Conte has other plans... Don't know, I don't like the idea of Vucinic on the wing of 442.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I really think we should buy this guy if we can't get Mata (pipedream anyway) because he can play into the centre and is a great dribbler. He could play 'in the hole' between Pirlo and the strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)