Metal, in all shapes and sizes (3 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
i'm a wannabe guitarist, 20 years ago, i was all over every guitar solo. now i prefer good songs. ron thal is probably the only guy i still enjoy listening to when he's soloing. that's a brilliant one, too:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015

plenty of good songs on mark morton's solo record. nothing ground braking (it's already impossible in metal anyway), just quality songwriting and production work. a joy to listen to.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
one of my favorite voices, ray alder of fates warning released his first solo record:

loving it so far. not a metal record per definition, and certainly not prog metal, but has that chill/mellow vibe i love so much in fates warning too. falling/falling further or a handful of doubt from fw could be on this record. he's got such an effortless voice, at least on the records.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think they are opening up for Queensryche on their latest tour.

- - - Updated - - -

Or they did open up for them on this tour. I don't know. I'm old. Things get blurry

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
one of the best bands playing melancholic/sad music out there with a new record:

some old favorites from them:

"my twin" is an absolutely perfect song. i hope at least one track on the new record can match it.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
https://metaltouroftheyear.com/

The Metal Tour Of The Year will be broadcasting a mammoth streaming event at http://metaltouroftheyear.com this Friday, June 12th beginning at 2pm PST/5pm EST/10pm BST/11pm CET. The stream will be hosted by SiriusXM's Jose Mangin and will feature full sets from Megadeth, Lamb Of God, Trivium and In Flames along with an exclusive interview with each band prior to the broadcast of their set.

:mark:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Like rap, so much of metal these days is about standardized images instead of a focus on the actual music.
Yep. And looking at it from an enginneer’s perspective; Modern metal sounds all the same. It’s the same sounding distortions, same drum sounds. It lost its rawness a long time ago. The mixing on this video is just proof of that. Generic as can be. I call it the power metal syndrome.

I like the people on this video though and the dude from Coheed and Cambria did a great job.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yep. And looking at it from an enginneer’s perspective; Modern metal sounds all the same. It’s the same sounding distortions, same drum sounds. It lost its rawness a long time ago. The mixing on this video is just proof of that. Generic as can be. I call it the power metal syndrome.

I like the people on this video though and the dude from Coheed and Cambria did a great job.
It's a common phenomenon, really. I think about the early days of punk rock. People just did their thing. Then it later got codified with colored mohawk haircuts, Doc Martens boots, chains, leather jackets... Uniforms. It's funny to hear the stories of those days when some punk bands were like, "When did everyone suddenly start adopting crafted uniforms and started to look all alike?"

It's a human allegiance thing I guess. People feel belonging as if to a tribe, that tribe develops standard looks (and sounds), and the next thing you know the supposed tribe-leaders end up emulating the tribe stereotypes they think are expected.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So, we can't just discuss how much of a kick ass cover that was?

Do we HAVE to do a deep dive on every fucking thing on this forum?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)