messenger (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The msn messenger uses non standard port numbers for file transfers, meaning that with other instant messaging clients like ICQ it's easier to get it working. When you're directly connected to the net, like on a dialup connection, it's hardly a problem. But if you share a connection in an office, school network etc the admin has to manually set up the ports in the firewall for the file transfers to work. As you've guessed, that's not done by default.

I don't know what your situation is but most cases like yours are related to the above.

So thank M$ for yet another inconvenience :groan:

OP
Tom

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    ok thanks for the reply but this is just a family computer. I tried turning the firewall off but that seems to have no effect. Perhaps my dad has done something to stop outgoing file transfers :confused: that would be typical of him :rolleyes:

perhaps I should try ICQ

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by -S- ] ++
    probably the other party had firewall turned on....
    but the other party could send the file to me and I had firewall turned on!?:confused:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Never, ever close the firewall :eek:
    Martin seems to have covered the issue .... tell your dad to open up ports which MSN uses.

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    Never, ever close the firewall :eek:
    Martin seems to have covered the issue .... tell your dad to open up ports which MSN uses.
    forget him, I'll do it, anyone know how?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)