Merih Demiral (13 Viewers)

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
He's only 21. People forget that. Nesta-Cannavaro used to make mistakes all the time at that age too. Its normal as long as they are rare.
Steady on there lol.

Just like on the Verona goal last week, he didn’t close down fast enough against Correa (otherwise, he was sufficiently solid). Add that to the penalty he gave away and mistakes don’t seem so rare.

I get the fact that there is a fan brigade for him, so the hype/protec level is high. But he’s not even the same type of defender as those two to draw a comparative trajectory.

For the record, I like him but just needs to get better at reading into when to close down instead of screen and then convert that passion into the art of getting into his opponents minds. Then he’ll be truly formidable.

Last edited:

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Don't forget he has come back from a major injury as well. Just keep playing him...don't compare to greats like Nesta or cannavaro...there are no defenders out there as good as those players.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was surprised how easily he was dribbled, but 1v1 defending like that can be decided by split second movements, and Correa did really well. I felt confident that Demiral would snap him in half once he faced up, but it wasn't to be.

He did the right thing showing him onto his weaker side to start, but one little trick and he was slow to adjust his feet and gave him space to shoot.

Jan 22, 2016
We should consider this too , he was the last man in defence on that situation, if he went all out and couldn't get the ball it would have been straight red for him.

He had 2 option's, go all out get the ball somehow, or tackle the player and gets a send off.
He couldn't risk it all and had to go for the safer option.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I will not blame him. Those 1v1 against tricky forwards can go either way and he lost the duel. Also he almost stopped the shot. Wojek also sold his position even before correa shot...so he must take part of the blame too. Check the repplay if you dont velieve me.

Anyways Kulu is to blame for that major fuck up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)