[merged] Who is juve opponents in the CL next round? (1 Viewer)

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++

If Man U are the hopeless to let him play... we should not be afraid of thrashing them next round

Phil playing:LOL:no wonder that they were having a bad string of results lately

Heh heh heh

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ahmed ] ++

If Man U are the hopeless to let him play... we should not be afraid of thrashing them next round

Phil playing:LOL:no wonder that they were having a bad string of results lately
I just hope we'll meet Man utd, i hate them, i really do.

aka dus

May 29, 2003
As a Liverpool fan I am interested to know how the Juve fans might feel if our two great clubs were drawn together in tomorrow's CL draw.

Of course it is 20 years since the tragedy of Heysel. I am not so much interested in how you think the game might go - I think Juve's team is much more developed at this time - but would there be an ok atmosphere surrounding this game?

If we were to draw together I think any Bianoneri would receive a good welcome at Anfield for the first leg. But we wonder about the reaction of the Juve fans since Liverpool fans were responsible for the loss of the 39 in 1985.

I think all Liverpool fans regret and are ashamed about what happened then. It was different times and different things were happening. Would this be an opportunity to pay respect to the past and to see if there could be a sense of peace between the two clubs? Or would there possibly be trouble if many Liverpool fans came to Turin?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How would I feel? Happy.

Simply because Liverpool is one of the weakest teams in the draw. The injuries they have been hit with, along with the traditional sketchy defending Pool brings out on the pitch, I would be happy to draw them. Far weaker of an opponent than Barca and Real, Liverpool and PSV would be the two weakest clubs remaining IMO.

As far as trouble goes, I am fairly certain nothing will happen. People have not forgotten about the tragedy, but the fire is not burning anymore. No need for retaliation.

aka dus

May 29, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
How would I feel? Happy.

Simply because Liverpool is one of the weakest teams in the draw. The injuries they have been hit with, along with the traditional sketchy defending Pool brings out on the pitch, I would be happy to draw them. Far weaker of an opponent than Barca and Real, Liverpool and PSV would be the two weakest clubs remaining IMO.

As far as trouble goes, I am fairly certain nothing will happen. People have not forgotten about the tragedy, but the fire is not burning anymore. No need for retaliation.
Yeah we aren't in good shape but I think we'll be a little bit stronger by the time the tie comes around.

I wonder will the young guys on the Curva Sud think that the meeting could go by without making some kind of statement? Last time we were in Rome we had guys slashing fans across the ass with flick knives in crowds. (Which they also did to us in 1984 and perhaps had a small part to play in why Liverpool fans reacted so terribly in 1985). I think lots of Liverpool fans would be scared of the possibility.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'd prefer facing Liverpool over most of the other possibilities, followed by maybe Bremen and then perhaps Porto.

It's been a long time -- over a generation really -- since Heysel. It's to the point where it's a matter of historical trivia for most people on this forum (in fact, most of the people on this forum were probably not even born by then).

As I said elsewhere, I honestly think the only "crowd trouble" they'd have with a Juve-Liverpool match in Torino would be in actually getting a crowd to show up ... or at least break the 40,000 mark. :sigh:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Anticipation Ahead Of Champions League Draw
12/17/2004 1:09:00 AM
The draw for the last 16 of the Champions League will be made in Nyon, Switzerland, on Friday, with a strong possibility that Londoner David Beckham could be back in the UK capital with his Real Madrid side to take on Chelsea or Arsenal in a glamour tie.
Real stand an almost even chance of being paired with one of the London clubs, both of whom could also be drawn against Barcelona or Bayern Munich.

Four English clubs are through to the last 16 of the Champions League for the first time ever. But all of the Premiership sides face potentially very tough opponents. Manchester United and Liverpool, who finished runners-up in their groups, have three Italian sides among their five possible opponents. And Sir Alex Ferguson believes his United side are fated to meet AC Milan for the first time.

“The only team we haven’t played in my 18 years at United is AC Milan," Ferguson said. "We did play them in the United States during our summer tour but I have a feeling fate will throw it that way."

The draw, at the Uefa headquarters, will see the sides who finished top in their group – including Arsenal, Chelsea, Milan, Juventus, Inter, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco and Lyon - paired with a runner-up (PSV, Porto, Man Utd, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Barca, Werder Bremen or Real Madrid).

Ironically for the group winners, there may have been little advantage in finishing top because
Real, Barca, Manchester United and Bayern - all runners-up - are the clubs with the best overall records in the Champions League.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believes there is not much between any of the remaining 16 sides in terms of quality.

Benitez said: "We are into the knockout stages now and look forward to finding out who we will play.

"I’m not concerned with who that will be because at this stage of the competition every team is a good team, they all have excellent qualities."

England is the country with the most teams (four) left in the last 16. The apparent shift in the balance of power means that for the first time since 2001, Spain has only two participants left at this stage of the competition.

Does this mean there is a realistic chance of England improving on their 2001 record when three Premiership sides reached the quarter-finals?

Both Germany and Italy are also better represented at this stage than in recent years. There are three clubs from each country still involved, and it is the first time since 1997/98 that three German teams have progressed beyond the group stage.

Clubs from the same association cannot play each other and those who met in the group stage must also be kept apart. This means, for example, that Arsenal cannot meet PSV, Manchester United or Liverpool; their opponents will therefore be one of Porto, the holders, Bayern, Barca, Werder Bremen or Real. The three Italian clubs each stand a reasonable chance of being drawn with United or Liverpool.

The eight teams who finished in third place in their respective Champions League groups will be among the 32 sides in the Uefa Cup draw.

These eight refugees from the Champions League will be paired with runners-up from the eight Uefa Cup groups. Group winners such as Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Stuttgart will play a team that finished third in the Uefa Cup groups.

aka dus

May 29, 2003
That's good to know.

I hope it would be a good occasion. If we don't get that draw then no matter who we draw I hope both clubs go through and the very best of luck. We'll soon know!

Geof

May 14, 2004
the draw is very near now, do you know where to follow it live?
I looked at UEFA. com but didn't see anything..... Please not Barça.....

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
actually, I'm looking forward to see Juve face Liverpool....since its rarely to see those 2 face each other....should be an excited match to watch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)